Acquiring 2 new mini's.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyAcreRanch

Reaction score
Ok, tomorrow I'm picking up two mini's that someone is giving me. They have been at a stables for a petting zoo type thing for a few years. No one has really done anything with them. In fact 1 is a mini mule and she is somewhat wild now, so I know no one has done much with them. My question is about deworming them. I know they probably have not been dewormed in years. So what would you start them out on for a wormer? And how often should I do it? I want to be able to have them in with my other mini as soon as I can, but for now will be in a seperate pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mildest dewormer is fenbendazole (Safe Guard) and is the one I usually start with first if I don't have a good history on the horse. Then I follow up with pyrantel pamoate (Strongid), and finally with Ivermectin. If you suspect a heavy worm burden, you never want to deworm right away with Ivermectin as it can potentially cause a large worm kill and severe colic issues.

Back