Absolutely No Way!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Val- people dont realize the cost and work involved for something like that.

You misunderstand, perhaps I did not express myself correctly? I am not in any way criticising the office staff, I know they are hard working and dedicated- I have corresponded with them electronically and on the phone and had nothing but excellent responses, cheerful and helpful. I am, however, criticising the AMHA itself. They have had the money for the upgrade (I think they may, actually, have had it twice, now?) and it has either been mismanaged or disappeared- people have very selective and short memories when it comes to this sort of thing!!

So, OK let's put all that behind us, as there is nothing we can do about it, and look at the problem we have. We have discussed this at length on here before- it is SO simple to merely put two colour/pattern boxes on the papers- visual and actual- so if a horse is actually a black, but visually white, so long as you have the DNA to prove this, you put "Black and White Pinto" as the Phenotype ( visual colour/pattern) and "White" as the Genotype (or actual colour/pattern ) If you have a white horse with no idea of pattern/ base colour and no DNA you simply fill in the visual box. It is not rocket science and does not require the whole computer programme to be changed.

What is TOTALLY unacceptable is having proof that your horse is a black based Pinto and being told by AMHA to register it as white- this is not legal, it is asking a member of a society to deliberately falsify a legal document. I do not have the desire nor the money to challenge this in the courts, but I am pretty sure the AMHA would lose and I wish someone with the money would do it, as the BOD don't seem to have any interest whatsoever in listening to us or doing anything to rectify the situation. The colours/patterns on AMHA papers are the laughing stock of the Mini world- if I had a dollar for every time I have heard " don't take any notice of the colours on the papers they never get it right" I should be rich

Maybe it is not important to anyone but it drives me nuts!

*one of these days I shall make a post I do not have to edit!!*

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the color on the papers SHOULD be the visual color of the horse. If the horse appears white but is registered as black, I would run away from that deal. Maybe if they had two seperate color sections on the papers, but...jmtcw

Jane(rabbitsfizz)-yes, I have come to the light!
default_smile.png
I always agreed with the more obviously silver descendents (like DD) and could trace most back to the Komokos mares LK often used, but after seeing more and more....and more sons and daughters producing silvers where I couldn't find silver through the dams, well, I am definitely on your side. He has produced a very high percentage of silver buckskins (that don't visually appear silver as they age, as you said) and silver smokey blacks.

B sharp- if the horse is visually white, quite obviously it is a good case for two colour boxes. But how about the poor purchaser, buying such an animal that is, visually , white, getting it home and finding out the hard way that that visual white hides H/Z black and H/Z Pinto- which it could very well do. This is all well and good if that is what you want, and absolutely NO use if it is not!! The registration papers should tell you what the horse is, you can see for yourself what it looks like!!

OHMT welcome to the light!

I have seen far too many Silvers by Buckeroo to have thought it was the mares- but which of the Komokos mares did you think were supplying Silver, just out of interest? All I ever saw was the Komokos stallion providing Roan.........

There were a large amount of Komokos stallions with silver (Komokos Little Champ the main one and quite a few others....i'll have to go look!). They were mostly silver bays (listed as chestnut or sorrel, of course). LK used Komokos lines so heavily, not just through Supreme and Teenie Jeanie, that many of the silvers could have potentially come that way. I'm sure some did and I'm sure quite a few of the Buckeroo get are homozygous silver, which is why it seems like all of the grandget are silver. They're everywhere!

Ah- thanks for that- I knew they had a couple of Komokos and I knew Silver "lurked" in Komokos lines but did not realise LK used them so extensively!

Latest posts

Back