about giving payment back to buyer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hinds just need to muscle. I'm assuming you're talking about the near front. Hard to tell from the pictures you posted, but it looks like the knee is going "buck".

She doesn't appear to be evenly loaded on that second shot. Looks like she doesn't want to load the heel of the near front. How is she walking ? Does the botton of the foot land at the same time or is it heel first or toe first ?

Have you have a vet xray? Her knees shouldn't be set yet. Linda tells me they set sooner in minis than regular horses, but a regular horses's knee doesn't set until around 2.

Could still be very fixable.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds harsh, I'm sorry..........But we have also learned the hard way.........and are ALWAYS learning something new......always taking our lumps.
default_rolleyes.gif

First, have things in writing! However, there probably will always be some little thing or detail that doesn't get covered and needs to be considered. Most importantly, though, is to make sure a deposit is non-refundable because the horse is "off the market" until paid for. (We have been bad about that because we like to take people at the word.) Oh, and we have also been burn on "boarding", so don't feel alone with that one.

Second, remember you priorities. Finding the best owner for your horse should be most important, IMO. If a buyer comes back at you with complaints and being "nit-picky"..........the buyer is NOT the right owner........and if you push it, expect the horse to get sold down the road to who knows where..........

There are also buyers who are new and scared that come back with questions........Those are different. We've had both. After awhile you know the difference.

Oh, and if offering a guarantee? Our guarantee is now a farm credit.......that was another lesson for us.

They already have the Reg papers for the horse.As it was paid for.I had told them I wasn`t happy first bout the legs in case they wanted it for a show horse for her daughter..I guess that was my fault telling them.Since they already owned the horse.

You were just trying to be honest.

Let a vet take a look at her. This may turn out to be a non issue, but they'll have to hear it from a vet now that you've scared them. :DOH!

To me this filly is lacking protein/weight. She has the typical weanling bloated belly and her back is up. I would get her on a better feed like equine jr. Until shes at a good weight it will be really hard to know if those legs are crooked or she just needed more weight.

Hello

I agree this filly needs a better diet. She has not even shed her winter coat yet, so perhaps another worming? Many horses will go through growing spurts and their physical appearance will/can/do change. A good diet, worming and dental care are vital to young ones growing up.

I have sold horses to folks "that really want them" and have learned later that they were either starved nearly to death, (and had to be removed from the property) or for heavens sake coliced and died - "well all we did is give them some potatoe peels to eat". These two instances are folks that swore they knew all about horses!

Good luck in whatever you do, it does not sound like they do not know what to do with a bred mare/foaling?

Beth

She was body clipped 1 month ago.She is on grass. With comming in at night for hay.With foal ration pellets 2 times aday.Gets dewormed regular. 2 times in the last 3 months.What do you suggest I else do? How much grain can I give her if she is on grass.? She is out with a buddy. Vet saw her last month.As he was here doing some ultersounding and flushing.Never said anything As for shedding on my horses. LOL I still get snow here in April at times. And below freezing weather.I am not in Texas or Florida.I am way up North of Ontario.

Hi

When I one that needs some weight I will pull them up and put them in a stall or paddock and monitor their feed. I use strategy by Purina. It is high in protein and fat and has lots of other minerals and nutrients they need. I also add alfalfa hay to their diet as it too is high in protein. I do this gradually if not already on this feed but most of mine get this anyway. They are with groups of other horses so often they fight for their feed so to speak and some do not get as much feed this way.

It is possible your little girl is growing right now so the feed she is getting is going to her height and not to weight so is not enough feed for her. Trimming is another key factor, I never could find a decent farrier either so learned to do mine myself. Grass/Pasture will tend to make them appear bloated as well and is deceiving in that some think their horses are in good weight when they are not. Unless your pasture where she is eating has been fertilized what she is eating is pretty much a filler and would not have much nutritional value, (or at least in Texas that is
default_smile.png

Do your horses ever shed where you are then? It IS HOT in Texas and I suppose Florida too. Some of mine have just recently shed out, but I had to worm them again.

B

If both horses are ready to be shipped home to them, I would tell them they need to go as they have gotten free board on the one, and all the health care, etc.. for 3 months now, and are wanting to add another 5 weeks! And then when that time comes, what else will it be??! They are really taking advantage.

Why the heck did they buy horses if they dont take them home to enjoy them?! Or dont have time? I would NOT sell them a pregnant mare- they do not appear knowledgeable or responsible enough to me, to have one at this time. Horses are a full time job, not just when they feel like it.

I would tell THEM to have a vet look at the filly- she is theirs- if they want more info on the legs. You DID offer them something else and they declined- I would not allow this to drag out for months and months.

I sold a colt to a home that promised me he would be shown, two or three years ago. Wish I had never sold him. The folks never showed him, moved away and left the horses in the care of their DIL or daughter, not sure which, and the papers are STILL in my name!! He has stood in their back yard all this time. I even offered to take the horse and condition and handle him for nothing- he was beautiful. They have done nothing with the horse, and had planned on using him for breeding. How are they going to do that when they have not even transfered the papers?!!

So, you never know if people are really going to show, just telling you that, or what they will end up doing with them. These folks just dont seem to me like they are 'into it' that much somehow... Just my opinion, I realize things happen in life, but if I have to go somewhere or have other frying pans on the fire, I have animals I have to take care of too!

I would tell them if the horses cannot be moved, you will need to charge board on both of them now until they are picked up. I bet they find a miraculous way to get them home and taken care of while they are busy.

This was my point exactly. I was hoping I wasn't the only one concerned for the fillies well being.

"Second, remember you priorities. Finding the best owner for your horse should be most important, IMO. If a buyer comes back at you with complaints and being "nit-picky"..........the buyer is NOT the right owner........and if you push it, expect the horse to get sold down the road to who knows where........"

This sounds harsh, I'm sorry..........But we have also learned the hard way.........and are ALWAYS learning something new......always taking our lumps.
default_rolleyes.gif

First, have things in writing! However, there probably will always be some little thing or detail that doesn't get covered and needs to be considered. Most importantly, though, is to make sure a deposit is non-refundable because the horse is "off the market" until paid for. (We have been bad about that because we like to take people at the word.) Oh, and we have also been burn on "boarding", so don't feel alone with that one.

Second, remember you priorities. Finding the best owner for your horse should be most important, IMO. If a buyer comes back at you with complaints and being "nit-picky"..........the buyer is NOT the right owner........and if you push it, expect the horse to get sold down the road to who knows where..........

There are also buyers who are new and scared that come back with questions........Those are different. We've had both. After awhile you know the difference.

Oh, and if offering a guarantee? Our guarantee is now a farm credit.......that was another lesson for us.

Charley,You do not have to show me the pics. I know the difference.I am not stupid.She was vet checked.Even had her needles done and had her skin checked. And it came out fine.All my horses get vet checked before they go to new homes.I feed them seperate all winter and now.I had only asked about payment issue.And then I asked about what can be done in the feed area. After Someone mentioned mussle tone. And I know she needs that on her hind end. Should I exercise her everyday? Also her backbone does not stick up or out.Her coat hair is short and comming back out.Noticed now alote of grey hairs comming out. Possible going appy like her mom.

Alot of people have told you it does not look like the mini in question is getting enough feed. Perhaps her pasture mate is eating her share? Either way I do think that it is a part of the issue and feel in this case it is best to refund the money or give them another horse.

I understand you were looking for answers but by bringing it public here and showing the pictures and having others state the horse looks like she is in need of a change in feeding program and more weight and muscle I just think all the way around it is in your best interest to perhaps hold back this filly get her to a weight you feel comfortable with and if she is at that now then keep her and try and re sell her to someone else.

While you only asked about payment issue by bringing the entire scenario up and showing pictures of the horse involved you were bound to get opinions and ones you might not want to hear at that.

Personally if it was me, I would do what I could to make the situation right.

Yes the mare needs weight and muscel, however she has other issues that IMO will keep her legs from being straight.

Second, you said you sold this yearling for twice as much as what you were asking for the other mare(first that scares me). You are offering them $500 back on her plus a trade for the other mare? If that is correct then you are already getting more for the mare then you were asking.

Is she confirmed in foal? If not then you really cant increase her price for being bred if you have no proof that she is.

Yearlings are hard, they hit a growth spurt and shoot up and it's very easy with their coats to miss them needing more calories.

Last year I had a yearling that was horrible this way. One weekend he went to a show and beat horses that went on to take top tens at Nationals in open to I dropped him from the next show only two weeks later because he lost enough condition.

Sometimes photos can make things look worse than they really are but there are some tip offs in the photo. The hip bones, lack of muscle in her hip, back bone and belly all hint to a horse that needs her feed intake upped. IMO exercise at this point would make things worse not better.

I have three yearlings in the barn this year, two I have to watch as they are very easy keepers but the other is getting six cups of beet pulp and six cups of oats plus alfalfa through out the day. He could use some tone but he is not fat by any means. Some horses, like people, just take more.

spota3.gif

Beet Pulp is the best thing known to man (ok exaggerating a little here) I've never been around anything that fills in a top line better than it. I now wonder how I ever survived without it. It is also very inexpensive. This is the first year I have only fed oats and while I will say their coats were better on the commercial feed body wise I have been very happy. Plus we grow our own oats so it helps with the bottom line as well.

**whoops, I mispoke the above colt gets 8 cups of beet pulp and 8 cups of oats a day and he is right around 29"-30"**

Alot of people have told you it does not look like the mini in question is getting enough feed. Perhaps her pasture mate is eating her share? Either way I do think that it is a part of the issue and feel in this case it is best to refund the money or give them another horse.

I understand you were looking for answers but by bringing it public here and showing the pictures and having others state the horse looks like she is in need of a change in feeding program and more weight and muscle I just think all the way around it is in your best interest to perhaps hold back this filly get her to a weight you feel comfortable with and if she is at that now then keep her and try and re sell her to someone else.

While you only asked about payment issue by bringing the entire scenario up and showing pictures of the horse involved you were bound to get opinions and ones you might not want to hear at that.
We our working on what is best for her.The 2 of them have there own litle pasture area.I do not think her buddy is eating her share of hay or grass.As there is always left overs.vet adviced that maybe I should change suppliments.So I did.They get 14% pelleted feed plus there Beetpulp.Of course she gets more . I know all about people putting pics on that you can get bad comments. It doesn`t bother me.The oppions does not bother me.One fillys mother is a chuncky mare and the other filly comes from a more finer built mare. This is why I had asked earlier How much should she be getting?

Yearlings are hard, they hit a growth spurt and shoot up and it's very easy with their coats to miss them needing more calories.

Last year I had a yearling that was horrible this way. One weekend he went to a show and beat horses that went on to take top tens at Nationals in open to I dropped him from the next show only two weeks later because he lost enough condition.

Sometimes photos can make things look worse than they really are but there are some tip offs in the photo. The hip bones, lack of muscle in her hip, back bone and belly all hint to a horse that needs her feed intake upped. IMO exercise at this point would make things worse not better.

I have three yearlings in the barn this year, two I have to watch as they are very easy keepers but the other is getting six cups of beet pulp and six cups of oats plus alfalfa through out the day. He could use some tone but he is not fat by any means. Some horses, like people, just take more.

spota3.gif

Beet Pulp is the best thing known to man (ok exaggerating a little here) I've never been around anything that fills in a top line better than it. I now wonder how I ever survived without it. It is also very inexpensive. This is the first year I have only fed oats and while I will say their coats were better on the commercial feed body wise I have been very happy. Plus we grow our own oats so it helps with the bottom line as well.

**whoops, I mispoke the above colt gets 8 cups of beet pulp and 8 cups of oats a day and he is right around 29"-30"**
I agree about the Beep Pulp And Thanks for the reply about the feeding and answering my question.I have to mention her big belly is gone before she goes on the grass. It comes if she is on grass all day.

Remember too that yearlings are at the most awkward age I think- some I would like to just hide in the closet til they turn two. They go through odd and funky growth stages, and may require all kinds of different things from each other.

If you were not concerned about the best interest of your horse you would not be here and would not ask. Kudos to you for asking and doing what you can! It sounds like you are very concientious with your horses, especially if you have your horses vet checked before sending each one to a new home. I know most people do NOT.

All I can say is, do what you feel is right in your heart, but I think these folks are also taking advantage of your good nature and kindness. It's just my opinion, and only that,so no flames please. It just makes it harder for you to make a decision.

Latest posts

Back