? about DNA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
does anybody know if the AMHA can get DNA on a horse and then tell you the horses name? I have a yearling filly that i would like to register but nobody knows the stallions registered name, but we do know that he is registered. :arg!

Do you mean they don't know the stallion's name, or do you mean that they owned(as an example) 4 stallions and they don't know which one is the sire to the foal?

If they do not even have a name, then there is no way to do it, however, if it is a scenario similar to what I wrote above, and if all stallions are DNA'd, and if the dam and foal are also DNA'd, they can narrow it down to the correct sire. I believe the breeder would have to pay fees for late stallion report on the mare, and for adding another mare to the stallion report, for all the DNAing etc.

they don't know the stallions name!!! i know the breeders name and the farm prefix which helps but the breeders raised so many horses and it was at least 15 years ago so they are not much help with remembering
default_no.gif

Wow, I can't believe that however the DNA information is set up is not set up in a way that they could run a foals DNA in a computer and come up with a close 'match' that would be likely the parent. I see it all the time on tv on cop shows, like Law & Order, so woulda thought with today's technology...

Good luck!

Back