Aaaaaghhh! What a day!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikaS.

Reaction score
Well, it's not unusual for 4 of my nearly dozen goats get out. I haven't figured out how all four of them do it, but two are great fence jumpers. They were out. No big deal; I coaxed them back into the pen and noticed they had opened a small gate- closed it. Went to my neighbor's house to bring her lunch and saw the goats out again out the window... followed by my minis... all running happily in the snow.
default_gaah.gif
Aaahhh! Gotta go! Got some goats back into the pen when I noticed my (old pygmy goat) Maxine's horn was hanging off the side of her head.
default_gaah.gif
Aaahhh! Left the horses loose for another minute- called the vet. Vet says she's not going to die and to dust the stump with flour and put gauze on it. Okay. Went back to the horses, who are not too keen on being caught. I haltered Trig and Bullet followed the two of us to the pasture. Put everyone else back into the pen with the help of alfalfa. Fixed the gate again...for good.

Back to Maxine...what a mess. Never had that happen before. I followed the vet's instructions; I had to snip the piece of fur holding the broken horn, dusted the stump with flour, gauzed it and wrapped it with some of my husband's camo Co- flex as I couldn't find mine in my first aid kit. My husband uses the camo Co-flex to wrap his rifles during hunting season. Thank goodness my 2 year old son was taking a nap through all of this.

As of 5pm CST, all is well...except I .now have the unicorn I always wanted as a little girl. Thanks for reading. Have a better day than me!

One of my goats broke a horn earlier this year, so I can just picture the gory mess you were looking at! I know goats do it all the time, but it's still pretty shocking when it happens to one of your own. But as to the rest of it - you can probably understand why I call my goats my "pointy-headed problem children!"
default_rolleyes.gif

Ha, the other person thinking about getting goats needs to read this thread.....

OW! Make SURE if you are having bad weather that the goat stays dry while that horn heals up. Oh, what a mess I bet that was. Wonder if she got kicked by one of the minis while they all took off to play?? I bet that HURT! Hope she heals up ok.

.now have the unicorn I always wanted as a little girl
default_risa_suelos.gif

that is too funny! I have goats too and man one of them is a pain in the butt!!!

Marsh a Mello, she was a bottle baby who really does not think she is a goat, 1/2 human 1/2 dog. Jumps ANY fence, and now goes out front to eat! But we live on a busy road! I am going nuts. We have a small pen (her jail lol) and she is going in there till I can Marsha proof our fences.

SO I feel your pain! Good luck with your goats.
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back