A "what would you do" question.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Just a hypothetical question here.

You bought a mare, one you really liked, wanted her as a broodmare. Upon buying her, she is possibly in foal, no guarantees, though but you buy her anyway. The person you buy the mare from have only had her a few months and have no history of her at all, but she is in good health and 12 yrs old.

She has been with a stallion since they bought her, saw her breed and no more heats to their knowledge and was still kept with the stallion.

After you buy her the vet ultra sounds her to be open.

My question (finally), now what would you do, check for an infection, if there isn't one, what is the next step?

How much time would you give her to get into foal before you thought she was barren?

She could have been in foal and just lost it or resorbed it.

If she fur sure is open I would flusher and give her a try. She could of been with a bad stallion. I would give her a few years. We have one mare here that is 7 and only had one foal for us. She then went open 3 years and is in foal again for this year.

Also make sure the mare is not overweight as that can cause them to not get bred(we have had in the past a few mares with this problem)

I had that happen with a mare I bought too, Silver Belle.

I then exposed her for the following two years coming up empty.

I had her examined by the vet and she ran some tests.

There is a test for conception rate that goes from number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 4 being the highest score that says the mare can conceive very well. Silver Belle tested as a #2. I am not interested in exploring this further, but Jerry really wants a foal from her so we are going to have her flushed with antibiotics this spring most likely and try it again. If she fails to conceive, that is fine with me. She's a great mare to have around for all the youngins to cuddle up to.

Hi Ashley,

About the mare you had that was open three years and then conceived again, has she always been pasture bred, or did you ever try hand breeding her?

I am asking because I bought a mare a few years ago who was 7 and had never been bred yet as her owner was downsizing and getting out of minis. The mare conceived for me and had a foal the next year at 8 years. It was a kind of tight birth as many maidens have, but no dystocia or anything to cause scar tissue or anything like that. But then that year and the next two she simply would not settle. And I did both hand breeding as well as letting her run with the stallion. The stallions I tried were settling other mares those years also.

She is now 11 this year so is open for the third year in a row and I'd really like to get her in foal this year.

I am just wondering if I just quit worrying and let her run all spring and summer with the stud if she might conceive again. But I am thinking of having her cultured to see if an infection is going on. I have not seen any signs of anything and wonder if uterine infections usually even show any signs.

Susan O.

We do all pasture breeding. Normally the end of april to mid July at the latest. This mare was also a very fat mare. She had no problems haveing her first foal. She was the second open year she was with a young stallion that didnt settle any that year. Now this year she is in foal to that same stallion she ran with last year.

We also had to redo some pastures as the studs were more intrested in fighting and watching each other then breeding.

However last year we did pasture breeding. All but one was confirmed in foal. The one that was, was do to haveing a infection so no fault of the stallion.

You can have her checked for infections, ultra sounded for ovary condition, biopsied for uterine condition, scoped internally for uterus condition, blood work for hormone/other situations......and go from there.
default_wink.png
:

If you really like the mare and want a foal, it may be worth it.

Couple suggestions....start with the least expensive tests, may be something simple is awry. If all tests are "normal" Well, just put her in with the stallion of your choice and let it go. I've had some mares who wouldn't catch with some (uterine PH not compatible?) but would with others (saw them being covered). A couple who just didn't catch easily but, when they did carried/foaled just fine. Sometimes we just don't get an answer.

Here's an example that was told to me by Doctor Scheuring (Samis Little Horse Ranch)....remember he's a vet!!....wife had gotten him a nice young mare he had admired. He bred her several times over several years and never was able to get her to conceive -- checked everything for everything & nothing amiss. He felt badly not continuing as she was a gift and excellent animal. Alas, he finally gave up and sold her while FULLY advising buyer of the situation and not to expect a pregnancy but, that there was nothing that could be found wrong either. Sure enough, mare went to new farm, ran with a stallion and the following year produced a lovely foal.
default_yes.gif
: I told him that she was like many women, just wanted a change!! :bgrin

So, it boils down to this -- sometimes we can't outguess Mother Nature. I have also used gamma oryzanol (Weight Builder, More Muscle, etc.) and had better fertility on a couple mares who had not been doing well previously in the fertility department. Did it help? Coincidence? Who knows. But, claims are that this has helped other horses with fertility -- mares and stallions, especially those up in years and/or rehabing. Hey, worth a try and it doesn't hurt them.

I had two similiar situations-

One mare I bought at an auction and the owner told me she was bred, in foal, registered pure Falabella, five years and registered A and Falabella. Got the mare home and hand and pasture bred, tried different stallions including sending her out to a known potent stallion and for three years either open at ultrasound in fall or was ultrasounded in foal in summer and turned up open. Spent lots of money, time, effort. Mare was around 5 but no matter how many calls I made to the seller and after being told that the registrations were either in the mail or he had to find them it was a bad deal. I hardshipped her A and R. Only nice thing is she was a sweet mare and a good mover. I taught her to drive. Sold her for $800 as a pet.

Other mare had a distocia for her first foal. She was hand and pasture bred after a year off for two years. Kept coming up open. Had the local vet school do a breeding soundness exam and found scarring on the cervix from the fetotomy getting the distocia foal out. Had her treated. Didn't get in foal the next year- sold her as possibly bred but no gaurentees. She went on to have two foals that I know about after that.

In both cases it was a big financial loss.

Tammie

Latest posts

Back