A warning about screw-in CF light bulbs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
I think we've all heard the stories about those screw-in compact fluorescent light bulbs exploding and what not. I started buying them about a year ago and replacing all of the regular bulbs in my house with the CF to save money on electricity. This morning my bathroom light went out. When I went to change it, this is what I found :new_shocked:

bulb1.jpg

bulb2.jpg

I'm wondering if saving money is really worth the risk of burning my house down :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
ML, it sure made my heart skip a beat when I went to change it. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on my bulbs from now on and only using the regular bulbs in places where the bulb is totally covered and I can't see it, like the bathroom. Saving a few dollars is NOT worth it :no:

Since those bulbs come with such a long warranty, I would take pics and send them to the manufacturer, along with your warranty card and receipt ( if you have them) Or even call and tell them what happened, I am sure they will want to know so they can fix the problem. Glad you only had a burnt bulb! We had a small house fire last year and it SO aint fun.

I started to use those also out in the barn. I noticed they didn't last as long as stated. Then I read on the fine print, not to be used in an enclosed fixture. That is what all my lights are out in the horse barn. :eek:

OMG, I have them throughout the house, and in the barns. I dont think they last as long as what they claim too either, plus, when I first turn the light on in the barn..it takes awhile for them to actually come on bright, at night..they always seem so dim in there. We have them down the whole middle aisle. Guess its time to go back to the old kind. Rather be safe the sorry. Corinne

I did post a while ago, about one bursting above me, while I was doing dishes.

They are telling us, the old bulbs are going to be history, another money grabber and unsafe for us. :new_shocked:

Save that bulb & also send the picture to the manufacturers of these bulbs. Also consumer reports or whoever else might be interested in seeing the picture..................................

using the regular bulbs in places where the bulb is totally covered and I can't see it, like the bathroom.
This morning my bathroom light went out.
.........................................The kind that I bought said NOT to use in anything that is enclosed - was this one used in an enclosed globe etc? I took mine out of the barn months ago................ Also the one that I used in my ceiling light close to my carbon monoxide detector would set it off when I turned the light on sometimes so I took that one out also.

Well, I sent good ol' GE an email, so we'll see what happens. I don't have the package or receipt anymore, since I put this bulb in about 6 months ago, but the bulb says "Caution: Use in dry locations only. Not for use in luminaries controlled by a dimmer or totally enclosed recessed fixtures." I didn't have it in a recessed fixture, but did have it in a globe to protect it from the "normal" bathroom moisture
default_unsure.png
: I'll post if I hear anything back from GE.

didn't have it in a recessed fixture, but did have it in a globe
There in might be the problem. The one that kept triggering my carbon monoxide detector was in a globe so I took them all out. After reading the instructions again they say not to.

Yikes!!!

Those are the bulbs I have all over my house!!!!

My mom was telling me too that when you change them, you have to be very careful because it's a big time enviromental danger if they break (?????).

A good link with FAQ's about CF bulbs:

(and it answers your questions about breaking them Jill)

http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/cfl.htm

Another note: CF light bulbs are more about saving energy, not money, although they are being marketed as a way to save money hoping that more people will utilize them.

I use a few, but don't like them. I use them in locations where my kids are constantly leaving lights on, so it save me some money on the energy and the replacement of bulbs since the CF last longer (even though they don't seem to last as long as reported).

Latest posts

Back