A trip to the ER... a HIDA scan and...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
Haven't been on much as things have been crazier than normal here.

I work at a school and figured I picked up one of those
default_smileypuke.gif
bugs that seem to be going around but it was not going away and I was not knocked out like I usually am with one of those viruses.

I ended up in the ER last Saturday (a friend who is a doctor said don't mess around with this) and the ER doc thought it was gallstones... saw my primary care doc on Monday and he ordered a HIDA scan with CCK which was done yesterday.

I heard the techs say "that's weird," "I have never seen that before," and "that's strange" as they were looking at the pictures being generated as the CCK hormone was injected. I was told I'd hear results in 3-4 days and to stay on the lowfat diet.

I made it back to work and an hour later the CCK really kicked in hard, sending me home and to bed.

Today I got a call that an appointment was scheduled for tomorrow to meet with a surgeon and then the surgeon's office called as they had to reschedule for next Wednesday. I have no idea if it is gallstones or something else...

Thank goodness for horses - while I have not felt good, I did climb aboard Dipper and had a good ride through some snow covered fields - she is such a sweet horse and very well-mannered.

So, I am waiting to hear what happens next.

Denise

default_sad.png

Though I dont know you I send you more than all my support and love through this daunting time.

It must be scary for you but know that there are very caring people out there to take great care of you.

I will pray for you and send you more than all my love
default_wub.png

PS and yes, thank goodness for horses!
default_wub.png

edit: sorry, new here..accidentley double posted..dont know how i did that???

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you must be very nervous not even knowing what you are up against for sure! Sure hope it all goes well for you and they have you feeling better than new in no time!

Wow Denise, I hope they will help you and that you'll feel better soon.

{{{Hug}}}

((((HUGS)))) and prayers coming from Iowa.

Ok, they didnt TELL YOU what you have and why you need surgery??!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I would be on the phone asking some questions!

I hope you feel better soon!

Ok, they didnt TELL YOU what you have and why you need surgery??!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I would be on the phone asking some questions!
I hope you feel better soon!

I called my doc's office yesterday and said "What did the report actually say?" The nurse said you have "chronic inflammation of your gallbladder." I have not seen the report myself but from surfing the web, chronic inflammation is usually due to stones. It runs in my family but I (and my grandmothers before me) do not fit the profile...and the techs told me that during the HIDA scan. I haven't talked to our family friend who is an MD (and he was the one who told me to get to the ER due to my type 1 diabetes) but I will follow up with him today on his thoughts.

So, I am hanging in there on a no-fat diet (I made a kick-butt vegetable aspic from V8 juice and dried herbs from my 2008 garden - low cal, high fiber but as appetizing as veggie flavored Jello can be) and luckily we have a three day weekend so I can try to rest. If it warms up, I will be on Dipper for my weekend ride.

Now I know what my Shetland Nefertiti feels like with her ulcers - she had an attack two weeks ago and now she will stand quietly and wait for me to give her the medicine mix prescribed by our veterinarian... no halter or anything and she is usually one to use the hooves first, ask questions later. She is the one now who continually nickers to me and gets snuggly...I can feel her concern over me. My almost three year old Morgan filly is the same way - I cannot leave the barn without being slimed and nuzzled by Weatherly.

On a good note, I did get my ASPC/ASPR All Star results yesterday... Nefertiti was 4th in ASPR mares, 5th in Amateur Modern Pleasure Mares and 6th in Modern Pleasure Mares 2 and under.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_aktion033.gif
That is noteworthy as when she was a yearling she was diagnosed by her vet and dentist with a partially paralyzed tongue and I thought we might have to put her down but she is thriving very well on her modified diet.

And, after years of trying to get involved, Mercy has finally been invited to participate in the Humane Society at Lollypop Farm's Annual Telethon on February 28th. She will be at the Cash4Critters booth and should have a few TV spots. This is a charity dear to my heart as my late Belgian mare Liberty was adopted through them as well as my potbelly pigs Fern and Cider. Mercy will be doing her paintings and being the ambassador to miniature horses as she always has been - it takes place at Eastview Mall in Victor, NY.

Denise

So you definately are having your gallbladder removed?

If so, you will feel much better when it's out. It is a simple surgery usually with just a couple small incisions, usually so small they don't even stitch them...just kinda glue them together. Of course any surgery is dangerous...so sending prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery...don't try to do too much too soon.

I recently had the HIDA and CCK injection-showed the same thing no stone but my gallblader was only working at 13% so out it came! You will feel so much better once it's out. One thing I learned is don't eat anything high in fat after it's out-it makes you pretty sick! Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon!!

So you definately are having your gallbladder removed?
If so, you will feel much better when it's out. It is a simple surgery usually with just a couple small incisions, usually so small they don't even stitch them...just kinda glue them together. Of course any surgery is dangerous...so sending prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery...don't try to do too much too soon.
My primary care doc and his staff were sounding that way... I see the surgeon on Wednesday and I am so ready to have the doggone gallbladder out. I so want to get my house cleaned and looking the way I like it - with four guys in the house (hubby, Andy, his friend Greg (my "adopted" son) and Ben) I feel like I am in a frat house!
default_new_shocked.gif
Andy is back to college today... but with all the boys in the house, it explains why I have all mares and sows in the barn!
default_smile.png

Denise

Back