A Traumatic Easter Sunday-for our buckskin mare, Sadie

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
This was a mini mare owners nightmare - when I got down to the barn, there was Sadie laying down in labor - The bubble was already there but nothing else, I reached in and could not find the feet. Of course I panicked, NO vet, he is gone for Easter.

I called Marnie and caught her just as she was going outside, her and Nate came immediately.

It took over an hour for Nate to get the foal's feet - both legs were turned back. Thankfully Nate knew just what to do, by the time the foal was out poor Sadie was completely exhausted.

It was a beautiful buckskin colt, he never had a chance - the cord was so wrapped around him that it must have cut off his air/blood supply!

Sadie is the little mare that our granddaughter has claimed as her own, she is a PERFECT little mare - she is our mare that we take to the Nursing Homes, she has been in the Church Nativity, to school, in parades, the star at birthday parties. Sadie has done just about everything a mini can do-I will NEVER breed her again - it is NOT worth it! To lose the foal is awful but we still THANKS TO NATE have our precious Sadie.

This was Sadie's 1st. foal, she is 5 years old and was just at 300 days gestation. She never mourned her baby, I don't think she had any idea what was going on - for that I am thankful!

I am so sorry about your loss, but at least you still have your wonderful mare
default_yes.gif
:.

Ash

default_wub.png
: P.S. I LOVE the Horse in your avatar :eek:fftopic: sorry
default_wub.png
:

Thank God Sadie had you all there for her!

I bet she is one sore kid right now too.........but I'm glad for her that she isn't grieving.

MA

I'm so sorry about your colt. But like you said you have your mare. Thanks to your very good friends. You are in my prayers.

What wonderful "guardian angels" Nate and Marnie are! :aktion033:

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet foal, but thankful that Sadie survived the ordeal and will be ok.

I am so sorry for your loss - but thank heavens you still have your beautiful mare. When people say things like "I want to breed my mare so that my children can share the birthing experience" I will remind them of your sad story.

I hope that Sadie makes a quick recovery - she sounds like such a wonderful little horse.

default_sad.png
I am so sorry for your loss, so glad that your Sadie is going to be ok.

:aktion033: :aktion033: hurray for Nate and Marnie :aktion033: :aktion033: so glad you called them and they were able to save your mare, isn't it nice to have folks who are willing to drop everything like that! and that you called them so quickly!!

feel better soon Sadie
default_wub.png
:

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss but so pleased you had help and managed to get the baby out without loosing your mare too. ((((HUGS)))) for your heartbreak.

So sorry for your loss, it is so scary waiting for these mares to foal, and then to have something go wrong, just tears your heart out................I sure hope your mare recovers quickly.

Oh Donna, I am so sorry but how wonderful that Marnie and darling Nate could come help. My thoughts and light are there with you all.

Glad that Nate could save Sadie! Sorry for the loss of the foal.... As you've said to me many times, foaling season is very bittersweet! :no:

I'm so sorry for your loss :no: ....but I'm glad Sadie will be okay. Breeding always comes with risks. Usually the benifits out way the risk but when things like this happen it really makes you re-evaluate things!!

So sorry Donna for your loss :no:

But so glad your mare will be ok.

How lucky you are to have Marnie and Nate as close neighbors

They are wonderful people, and with so much knowledge and experience, and so ready to help whenever they can.

Lori

Things can get so scarey at times. Wonderful that Nate and Marnie were there to help Sadie and you.

So sorry for your loss but thank God for wonderful friends!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Oh Donna! What a horrible ordeal! I'll bet your heart was at your throat. I'm so sorry you lost the baby, at the same time I am so glad that your little Sadie is ok. She sounds like a special girl.

Back