a thank you to all you mini breeders out there

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
So it’s a long story, but in the last few months we have been busy caring for a mare we bought who wasn’t in the best of health and was bred for a way to early foal.

Our vets have been so amazing with her care...and my million phone calls of questions :p and we have had so much help from others to make sure this mare can be in the best possible situation and health to deliver.

I guess it just blows my mind how some people don’t take into consideration the work, money, time and sleepless nights it takes to have a foal. I’m going to go one a bit of a rant here, but it is the owner’s choice to take a mare and breed them. It’s a choice to bring a life into this world and in my opinion it’s a choice you better then provide the proper care for that animal!! If you can’t provide the vet bills, proper housing, farrier work, etc then DON’T BREED. It’s as simple as that!! Now i know nature sometimes takes it course and things happen to even the best cared for mares or foals and that is life.

Sorry lol I guess I’m just in a tizzy about how this mare came to us with no west nile or any vaccinations. She had worms, lice, her feet way over due and about to have a baby in March in cold snowy Canada. The lady had no heated barn for her to foal in and when we asked her to guess the dates she was with the stallion her response was “The last 7 years”. Not to mention she was saying how many foals she loses on average due to coyotes. Like really then maybe if you are losing them and don’t have a proper safe place to put them at night then don’t breed!! Ohh there I go again venting.

I see so many posts on this forum of peoples pride and joy foals as they are brought safely into the world by people who spend the time and care to make the deliveries the best it can be and since in some warmer places its foaling season and I’m sure there are some members up on mare stare I would like to say pat yourself on the back!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
It’s a hard job, but its responsible people like you that are real horse people, the owners that dedicate their love and care in sleepless night to their beloved mares. Also for helping us newbie’s with your endless valuable information on what to expect!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Happy foaling season to you all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely said!

I'm slowly but surely bringing my husband around to the realization that our initial "newbie-hatched" plan to breed some of our girls in the coming 2-3 years is likely NOT going happen. Why? Because I know that *I* am not ready emotionally for the toll foaling has on all who are involved. Reading about fetotomy in recent post had me sobbing. I know it was necessary given the circumstances, but I honestly don't know how I could stand in a stall and watch such a thing. And my extreme attachment to my girls would make losing one of them, during a delivery gone bad, unbearable. My daily life often has more than enough drama and emotional difficulties. My horses are my sanctuary from the every day grind.

Will we breed ever? I don't know. A part of me wants to try at least once, but only after we have much more education and understanding of everything involved. The answer may ultimately become "never". Time will tell.

My best to all the breeders out there who are anxiously watching barn cams, spending their nights in their barns and doing this the right way.

Nicely said!

I'm slowly but surely bringing my husband around to the realization that our initial "newbie-hatched" plan to breed some of our girls in the coming 2-3 years is likely NOT going happen. Why? Because I know that *I* am not ready emotionally for the toll foaling has on all who are involved. Reading about fetotomy in recent post had me sobbing. I know it was necessary given the circumstances, but I honestly don't know how I could stand in a stall and watch such a thing. And my extreme attachment to my girls would make losing one of them, during a delivery gone bad, unbearable. My daily life often has more than enough drama and emotional difficulties. My horses are my sanctuary from the every day grind.

Will we breed ever? I don't know. A part of me wants to try at least once, but only after we have much more education and understanding of everything involved. The answer may ultimately become "never". Time will tell.

My best to all the breeders out there who are anxiously watching barn cams, spending their nights in their barns and doing this the right way.
I like you have realized that I am not emotionally able to breed, my situation is that I acquired 3 mares that are pregnant. I am doing my best to do all the right things for them but am so scared that something is going to go bad. When I took the mares I had plans to breed them again but I am pretty sure that I will not do that. I love my mares and I pray all goes well. Many prayers for all breeders out there.

I hear both of ya! I haven't had a good night sleep since thusday. Most of it is excitement! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but also with no vaccination, not knowing what she's bred to, no breeding dates, the worms and lice she had, and being 18 yrs old I'm scared out of my mind. Our vets are amazed at what great shape she is in for an older mare and she is an excellent mother. I just would be heart broken if anything happened to this mare. She was my first mini! A great teacher with the most perfect easy going bomb proof personality. All we can do is wait from here and I'm prepared to do everything I can to ensure her health. I promised her ( lol yes I talk to my horses) that this is her last baby!

I totally agree! Well said!
default_aktion033.gif

I applaud all of those incredible farms who are breeding with forethought, planning and the abilities and means to take care of any situation that arises. And I am thankful for this website that taught me for sure I am NOT that person!
default_biggrin.png

So I will enjoy drooling over the foal pictures and will cry everytime I read of a foaling gone wrong. Then I will go to the barn and hug my geldings and be thankful for them.

Barbara

I wanted to add that I am not finding fault. To take on and rescue mares that are already bred is another scenario altogether.

Your little mare will surprise you at how much she can handle. You are doing all the right things and she is lucky to have you. About five years ago we rescued back a mare that we had previously sold ,she was in trerrible shape and once we started getting weight on her realized she was also pregnant. The mare was 22 years old and delivered a healthy foal . Good Luck.

I hear both of ya! I haven't had a good night sleep since thusday. Most of it is excitement! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but also with no vaccination, not knowing what she's bred to, no breeding dates, the worms and lice she had, and being 18 yrs old I'm scared out of my mind. Our vets are amazed at what great shape she is in for an older mare and she is an excellent mother. I just would be heart broken if anything happened to this mare. She was my first mini! A great teacher with the most perfect easy going bomb proof personality. All we can do is wait from here and I'm prepared to do everything I can to ensure her health. I promised her ( lol yes I talk to my horses) that this is her last baby!

Dee, I talk to mine too
default_rolleyes.gif
and I think they like it. It is funny I told my Juliet that very same thing the other night.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back