A Sad Day :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Today has been a very difficult day for me. I had to put my sweet Grace to sleep. I have had Grace since the day she was born, we had her Mom and Dad. We lost her Mom Rylee 7 months ago and her Dad JJ is still with us. Gracie has been paralyzed in her hind end for the past 2 and 1/2 years, she woke up on a Saturday and could not walk. For the first two weeks we just kept her quiet and she was on several meds to keep her comfortable. Then we began acupuncture 2x weekly for about 6 months, she did improve to the point where she could sit up and pull herself around. So we got her the first wheelchair, and kept doing acupuncture 1x week. She did well for a few months but we really never could get that wheelchair adjusted to suit her needs so we got her a different type that was a better fit for her. She was happy at this point going for daily walks and enjoying our back yard again. Grace still had some medical issues, because she had no feeling in her hind end her bladder never worked again. Most days she could pee on her own either outside or on a pee pad that I would cover with clean towels several times a day. If she did not have a good output I would express her bladder. Most dogs with this condition have chronic UTIs, but we were lucky she only had 2 during this time. Her Bowles worked on their own so that was a blessing. This last UTI really took a lot out of her, she has been on antibiotics for 2 months straight. This past month her health in general deteriorated daily. As you can imagine we were at our vets' office monthly sometimes weekly aside from the acupuncture treatments. She got excellent care from our 2 vets and they were very attached to her so today was hard for them as well. But when I looked in her eyes this past weekend it seemed as if she wasn't there although she could hear me talk to her. She was in pain and I think she was just tired and it was time to say "Goodbye". Even though she had been going downhill the past few weeks and I knew this day was coming it still has been a difficult sad day. I did not mean for this post to be so long but when I started to write I had to tell her story. She was an amazing little dog, she had a strong will to live after she became paralyzed and beat the odds for over 2 years. I am thankful that I had Gracie in my life for almost 8 years. At least now she is running free with her Mom Rylee.

I knew you would all understand how I am feeling.......here are a few pictures of my sweet little girl.

DSC00317.jpgDSC00780.jpgDSC01532.jpgIMG_0866.jpg

I'm so sorry. Losing a beloved family member is so hard. Praying for you.

My heart breaks for you. Tomorrow makes two weeks since we had to put down our 13 year old lab, due to severe arthritis. It is so very painful even now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this heartbreaking time. Gracie was a cutie, and she was lucky to have you.

I'm so sorry! Dogs are family, and I think everyone here understands. I know how bad it hurts, and I am so sorry. I had been hoping it would turn around for you baby girl.

I am soo sorry....having 'long and low' dogs myself, I constantly worry about them going down in the back....

~kathryn

I am very sorry...many hugs
default_sad.png

I'm sorry for your loss. I grew up around Doxies. They are very special, bold temperaments and big hearts. Hugs for you about Gracie.

My heart goes out to you.... Yes, we DO understand.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Grace will always be with you in spirit. She is so cute in the photos!! I can see how she got into your heart!

Take Care

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

My heart aches for you. Grace was a beautiful girl. Take care and my thoughts are with you.

How beautiful she was! You gave her the best life she could have and so much love! I'm SO sorry you lost her. I know she'll always live on in your heart. She's running free and reunited with her mom now.

{{{{HUGS}}}} So sorry
default_crybaby.gif

So sorry you lost your beautiful little one! She was beautiful. Thank you for being in tune with her to know it was time, and how wonderful she is with her mom again, running free!

So sorry for your loss. Having a chi rescue I to know loss. They are are family. She was fortunate to have you.

Carole

Dear track acres

I went through this with my German Shepherd Tracey and I know how this feels. I tried everything too. It was horrible for us both and I understand how heartbroken you are. Please accept my biggests hugs.

Beautiful, beautiful little love. She is at peace now. No more pain........the pain is now all yours.

So sorry for your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back