A reminder for all women

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitestar

Reaction score
Replying to the topic about hormone replacement reminded me that the 7th anniversary of my ovarian cancer surgery is coming up on 7/4. Luckily for me, I survived the "silent killer" frankly everyone knows someone that has had it, none seem to still be alive. I am not sure what reason I am still here, but I do try to make it my goal to let other woman know about it. Many of the old timers on the forum know my story, but as there are so many new names everyday, I want to tell you, warn you of what can happen

Everyone hears about breast cancer every day. We see the pink ribbons, the walks that folks do to bring awareness, the millions of dollars that are raised for it. Most of the time if you have breast cancer, you can find it by noticing a lump or change in your breast. For ovarian cancer, the symptoms, bloating, gas, feeling full, etc are all things that we woman deal with daily in our normal lives. Frankly I dont remember having any of those. All I remember is going to the little country doctors because I had a back ache, not a normal back ache, one like a kidney infection feels like, sharp shooting pains in my lower kidney area. The doctor checked for a kidney infection...nothing, said I pulled a muscle in my back & I went home with pain meds. I had 60 minis back then, a very busy farm with stallions at stud, foaling out for myself & others I did all the work alone, so I was very strong, very fit, & yeah, I could have pulled a muscle with the horses or the 90# bales of hay. The next day I felt fine, we hosted a workshop for the local mini club at the farm, but Monday morning I almost passed out from the pain. I couldnt even stand up straight!! I went to a second doctor at another practice. My normal doctor at that practice was out, so I saw an associate. He did a full pelvic exam & pap smear because I hadnt had one in two years...not because of the pain. I dont usually go to this practice because I didnt have insurance & they had a lab next door, if you have a hang nail you are always sent for blood & xrays, but I was in such agony I was willing to do the testing. It was the day before the 4th of July, they were closing early & he was in a hurry to get home & so I left with another muscle pull diagnosis & more pain pills which I didnt fill. I hadnt even taken the samples the first doctor gave me. I went right home to bed. I woke up at 5am the next day & found I couldnt stand up straight from the pain. I knew it wasnt a back problem, I felt so bad I told my husband I was dying. I cant explain the way I felt, it was pain like i had never had, coupled with just a wierd feeling. I went to the emergency room & frankly I dont remember much other than whispered words of " a mass" & I woke up 3 days later in ICU with tubes in both ends. I had 22cm tumors in both ovaries, one had twisted from the weight & I was in septic shock, they said I could have died at any minute. I had a hysto, biopsies on all internal organs & vessels & lymph nodes. They were all clean. I had more cancer in me than they had every seen in someone my age(39) & the fact that it didnt spread was a miracle. I laid in bed for 6 weeks afterwards thinking over my life & made drastic changes. I realized that there was more to life than my horses ( I remembered the many times of making plans with my kids only to cancel because of the horses, never going on vacation anywhere except the shows or nationals, never leaving the house for even a few minutes during foaling season which was months & months) & told my husband I wanted to sell the farm & move closer to town, travel & spend more time as a family. The hormone loss was incredible, I cried all the time which was so scarey to everyone that knew me as being so strong. I was a different person afterwards, no memory, so emotional!!

But that is my story. I went through monthly checkups, blood tests, cat scans, sonograms for many years, tapering off to every two years now. My life has changed so much for the better. After 30+ years of having horses in my life, I now am horseless but run a non-profit veterinary clinic & Shelter. My family is very close. I have traveled all over the world & even now take 3 cruises or vacations a year. But part of my story is the fact that I can be everyone of you. The pap test I had the day before was NEGATIVE. The pelvic exam I had the day before was NEGATIVE. Ok, I was in terrible pain & my muscles were very guarded, but come on!!! I was in the best shape in my life. I dont know why I got it. Maybe because I couldnt have children even with the help of fertility drugs. Maybe I had a bad gene? But ladies, it is a silent killer!! they say by the time you know you have it it is too late. Very very few people survive ovarian cancer. Make sure you talk with your doctor about any sort of testing he/she feels can screen for it, each will have a different opinion. If you do have bloating, gas, indisgestion make sure you tell them, dont ignore it. Dont be scared, but be aware!!!! Be proactive in all of your health needs. Dont let them brush you off if you feel like something is wrong!! So while America celebrates our liberty on the 4th we also celebrate my new life on that day!

Thank you for this reminder and thank God you made it in spite of the "wonderful kind care you got"!

It was I am sure thru Gods grace and your own strength you are still here can give us this wonderful reminder.

I am glad you got the wake up call and you are stopping to have some fun!!!! :aktion033:

Thank you again,

Bonnie

Thank you for sharing your personal story with us, that in itself alone is a gift to all women. A very scary thing indeed, but a very educational "must know". I'm glad you are here and enjoying life to the fullest, and again, thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.

Oh hubby has been at me about these symptoms (bloating, gas, feeling full, etc are all things that we woman deal with daily in our normal lives.)

I have been having these for a few months now. A little worried now.... :new_shocked:

My daughters wedding in 3 weeks and was putting another doctors appointment off till it is over.

Ok now I guess I should make one, thanks for the info.. Just was not taking these signs serious enough.

Have been eating Activia ( Danone) this has stopped me feeling bloated and are eating alot of tums.

Thanks for making me take notice.
default_wub.png
:

Thank you very much for the reminder and for sharing your story. I needed to hear it more then you know!

I'm glad to know you are doing so well and enjoying life! My grandma is one of those who did not beat ovarian cancer in part because she put off seeing the doctor until it was too late.

Thank you..........what an amazing story...........

MA

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Thanks and BLESS YOU for sharing your story and I am so happy that you DID survive this terrible disease

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I know many who have not, a good friend of mine had it when she was younger and it came back. Penny Passed away in October of 2005, and I miss her very much
default_crybaby.gif
: My sister is dealing with a teacher friend who has it very bad.... :no:

Thank you for reminding us all and enjoy the wonderful life that GOD has given YOU
default_wub.png
:

My very Best,

Jenny

Thank you for reminding everyone how VERY important this is!! I am quite possibly a little more sensitive to it than I might have normally been because I had an episode last week where I ended up dropping(passed out cold) at our local market. I have already been through two surgeries, and now looks like I am facing another. I've never, in my life, experienced pain like I did the night I passed out and I hope I never do again. My doctor says it must have been a cyst rupturing, but that was her "best guess." Headed to a referral appt. hopefully soon.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! for bringing this up and for sharing your story in hopes of raising awareness!! I will do a better job of advocating for myself because of your message.

Thank God you beat it!

HUGS

Jodi

I remember.

You had such a tough time. I am so glad that you are doing well.

Thank you for the reminders and I promise to pasas them along to my female friends too.

My breast cancer was in 1990 and I am doing well, had my ovaries removed because my oncologist feared ovarian cancer since they go hand in hand.

God bless you, wishing you all the best, good health, happiness and love.

Robin

I will also thank you for sharing this story. I just had a complete hysterectomy because of the cysts (masses) and uterine dropping. She offered me a choice of partial or complete hyster and I opted for complete and I know I won't regret it. More ladies should voice their questions and concerns more aggressively. It is our body, our life! Bless your heart for surviving, no..triumphing thru a horrific time. :aktion033:

Back