A question about AMHA and dwarves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
I ran across an ad today for a horse for sale that based on the pictures supplied is an obvious dwarf. The ad said that the horse was registered AMHA/AMHR. I "thought" that AMHA reviewed the pictures sent with the registration application and if they saw dwarf tendencies based on certain criteria, that they wouldn't register the animal. I don't know what AMHR's policy is, now that they require pictures. Is my understanding of this incorrect?

Your understanding is the same as my understanding. However, recently, I too saw an ad that made me wonder as you are. It was probably the same ad...

I would think that IF the horse just has dwarf characterisitics, there isn't much A or R could do about not registering the horse, might be a law suit waiting to happen. Unless of course it is obviously that the horse is a dwarf without a doubt. With characteristics, while a lot of education has gone on, there are still a lot of people who don't see those characteristics.

think maybe the ad was lying?

if it's truly an obvious dwarf, and the people just want to sell it, i doubt it's registered, but says so for advertising purposes. :no:

just this morning a saw an ad for "AMHA/AMHR tiny refined mare" and it was quite clearly a dwarf that couldn't have been aloud to be registered. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was an obvious dwarf....not just characteristics. I don't know if the ad was telling the truth or not, but it said the horse was registered A/R.

Do you suppose they know as much about dwarf characteristics in the office as they do about colors???

default_poke.gif
: :eek:fftopic: :nono: :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :deadhorse2:
default_frusty.gif
: :xbud:

I wonder if that was the same ad I saw for a little filly. I was wondering the same thing and also if they know she is a dwarf? The ad I saw was just talking about how cute and small she was
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

There really was no confusion she was very dwarfy looking
default_sad.png

If you open the ad it says registered...no, it also says she is bred for next year.

Must have been a different ad then I saw. The one I ran across was for a young horse. Didn't say anything about it being bred.

Do you suppose they know as much about dwarf characteristics in the office as they do about colors???

default_poke.gif
: :eek:fftopic: :nono: :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :deadhorse2:
default_frusty.gif
: :xbud:

Ohhhhh.....bad girl.....bad girl......... :bgrin

One thing to keep in mind, is that pictures can be deceiving. Some 'cute' early foal pictures might not have looked as 'dwarfy' as an older horse and that could have slipped through the office.

I have seen an obvious dwarf showing at a AMHA show and a friend witnessed a dwarf being hardshipped was inspected by the director and approved I know a few people that were there (this was at a show) were shocked

Wow! I just found this ad today!! And sure does look like a dwarf, but the ad I saw said not registered, but bred! :eek: ughh..

this mare had the short neck, short legs, goofy looking head. Pretty sure she's a dwarf but it could also be the angle the pic was taken as well.....
default_wacko.png
:

Not god though that someone would breed a dwarf, but then again maybe they're not educated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back