Help! Registration paper flub

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
Okay...I swear that the drama in my barn today is akin to an episode of the maury povitch show "you are NOT the father!"...some backstory... I rescued a mini pinto gelding and his dam last fall at a livestock auction. I had no problem transfering the mare into my name as she had her papers with her. All that the gelding came with was a signed application and transfer slip for both AMHA and AMHR. I got him registered with the AMHR thanks to the help of some very kind people on this forum who looked up his sire's info for me so that I could enter the info on the app. However the AMHA sent me a letter that I just opened today (I'm bad with opening mail on time
default_smile.png
) that claims that the gelding's paternity was tested: and the sire,( who was listed on the application AND service report by the BREEDER) has been EXCLUDED as the sire and they need th ename of another sire to test as his father. rediculious right?

Here is the issue (and the explination for the above reference to crappy daytime tv) I DNA typed the gelding with both registries as required and surprisingly....he came back as confirmed get of the sire in one and excluded as get of the sire in the other. The sire is double registered and DNA typed in both registries records, I did however notice that his height is listed as one thing in AMHA and another in AMHR but his D.O.B. sire and dam match up so I KNOW it's the same horse. What sould I do? Talk about a moral dilemma. I don't particularly mind if my gelding only has one set of papers, I am just happy I got him registered. However I can't help but feel that I should notify the registries of the obvious inaccuracy. I however do NOT want to get the breeder in trouble and cause a commotion as that would not make me a favorite in the industry, nor would it be good for my reputation if I were associated with getting people in trouble. However I am aware that by signing an application I am guaranteeing that what is on it is true to the best of my knowledge and I cannot risk getting penalized or having my other horse's papers or my priviliges recinded by the registry either. I am just afraid that one: they may take all of the gelding's papers away and then I can't show him, and two: if there is a problem with the stallion in either registry, what if it creates a problem fo rother registered offspring of that horse. Opening that can of worms could potentially upset a bunch of people. What do I do?

I would contact the registries and tell them that it matched in one and not the other, and could they retest. Send in a new hair sample for them to use.

AMHR doesn't require DNA for registration so it is pretty uncommon for a stallion to have their DNA on file with AMHR unless they have been in the Sweepstakes. Was your gelding actually DNA'd through AMHR or was he registered based off the stallion report/application information?

The sire was DNA tested i believe so his offspring could be reg. Atleast that was how the registrar explained it to me. I dont know if the sire was hardshipped or there was some other issue ( i dont have access to studbook) but because the breeder didnt sign a report, just filled out the app. I had to test him and it all checked out. The pasture breeding suggestion may be it. Since the registries are each their own seperate entity it is possible to reg a horse with a different name for each registry. I suppose its possible that there could be two different stallions with the same name in each registry. I am requesting a retest for both. I also got wind of a suggestion from an associate that the breeder may have owned another stud. Something to the sound of "im a feather too" if anyone knows of this horse maybe i could suggest that one to the lab.

Many horses have a different AMHA registered name to thier AMHR registered name. Most of mine came with two different names depending on the registry. That could possibly be your answer also.

Ask for a retest, send in hairs again...had this happen once on a filly I bought and the retest was free of charge...still came back excluded though and had to test several of the source farms stallions to find the match...

Thanks Stormy. I am wondering if that sort of situation may be the case here. Does anyone with access to the stud book know of, or could they look up a horse possibly named "i'm a feather too". A little bird told me that the sire's owner did possess another stud who may possibly have this name, or some variation. Thanks.

The sire was DNA tested i believe so his offspring could be reg. Atleast that was how the registrar explained it to me. I dont know if the sire was hardshipped or there was some other issue ( i dont have access to studbook) but because the breeder didnt sign a report, just filled out the app. I had to test him and it all checked out. The pasture breeding suggestion may be it. Since the registries are each their own seperate entity it is possible to reg a horse with a different name for each registry. I suppose its possible that there could be two different stallions with the same name in each registry. I am requesting a retest for both. I also got wind of a suggestion from an associate that the breeder may have owned another stud. Something to the sound of "im a feather too" if anyone knows of this horse maybe i could suggest that one to the lab.
I'm still a bit confused here because AMHR does not require DNA for any registrations but does require a Stallion Report be filed before any foal can be registered. DNA testing would not negate the Stallion Report requirement in AMHR, no stallion report on file = no possibility of AMHR registration.

Latest posts

Back