A Pony Family Tree Project

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
First of all, is it wrong to call my girls my ponies even though they are horses? I get very confused on this, but they don't seem to mind what I call them if I have a peppermint or carrot in hand
default_smile.png

I am making a poster to hang in the barn that has my horses' family tree. (They are mother and daughter horse) Yes it's very dorky, my husband has been laughing at me calling me "pony girl" all the time now that I'm always out there with them. I also do photography and graphic design for a living and have a great place to get posters printed. This has been a lot of fun to work on because I am finding out my older mare comes from a line of horses who were mostly Shetlands until the 1920-30's (the Paul Bunyan side) and her daughter's father's side are almost all smaller horses of 33" and under. I think Baby (the young one) resembles her great great grandfather (komokos little king supreme) in body/head shape the most of all her family - her mom's side all have bigger heads and longer noses. I really love that short, stocky, petite head style of mini although don't get me wrong - I love them all!!

I am looking for pictures or more detailed info on the following horses:

On Mom's side:

FoxFire's Silver Classic (mare amhr 17066 born 1985)

Shadow Oak's William Henry (stallion amhr 15774)

Golden Mist (mare amhr 63865 born 1975)

On Dad's side:

Fisher's Catherine (mare amhr 06725)

Little King's Blackberry (stallion amhr 10669)

Goforth Little Pistol (stallion born 1967) - I LOVE this name for a horse... it's as if the owner was naming my young horse for me. what a little pistol she can be!!!

I must be a dork too...

All seven of my minis have a folder with all their info about them. I too looked up their pedigrees and went back as far as I possibly could on them as well till there was no horse accounted for. Takes me a while BUT I found all of their pedigrees. and LOTS of photos as well!

GOOD LUCK!

First of all, is it wrong to call my girls ponies even though they are horses?
Not in my opinion! Traditionally, a pony is 14.2 hands high and under (a hand is 4", 14.2 hands high is 14 1/2 hands high and 14.5 X 4" = 58" tall) and a horse is anything over 14.2 hands high. I call both my horses and my Miniature Horses ponies because I just like to call them ponies dang it! You are bound to meet a Miniature Horse owner that becomes mortified when you call their Miniature Horse a pony and you can apologize to them and then laugh to yourself later.
default_biggrin.png

HAHAHA!!!! I just HAVE to laugh
default_biggrin.png
First thing I do on all my horses...big and mini....is run the pedigree as far back as I can get, find ALL the pics available and put everything in their "folder"!! I have a notebook of all our registration papers (copies) followed by a 7 generation pedigree (with more generations after that if available!!) and then any pics I can find of horses in the pedigree. I'm a BIG human genealogy buff, and it just carried over into the horses!
default_laugh.png
I even have the AQHA, APHA, AMHA and AMHR studbooks. So don't feel dorky....I think it's cool
default_yes.gif

Not dorky at all. Well, if it is then there's more of "us". I too, have a hubby in geneology so I look my horses up for fun. I have a book of pictures and the lineage of my stallion all the way into the 1800s in England. Way back there he had Welsh, Hackney, and Shetland of course. He's less than 32" and sweet as he can be.

Latest posts

Back