A Poem to Veterans "Updated being published"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Before you read this prepare yourself. It could be emotional, painful or both. I will understand if the moderators remove it. Not an easy poem to write.

The Other Veteran

Oh how proud I was when I signed up to serve

Protect my country, I had such a nerve

For some reason though unbeknownst to me

I was not warned what my fate would be.

I learned to march and be part of a team,

They taught me pride, gave me self esteem.

They gave me a gun taught me how to aim

How to pull the Trigger again and again

I felt big and strong all puffed up with pride

Until that night and the horrifying ride

Yes Sgt please take me back to the base

He soon made it clear I was no longer safe

When I finally arrived back on the base

Beaten and bruised I felt so disgraced

I prayed that someone would save my life

Stand up for me and deal with my strife

Soon I would learn that wasn’t the case

I was left all alone in this strange lonely place

There was no support for the wounded like me

I was then told it was over, so just let it be

It wasn’t over for the horror lives on

It comes in waves at night and at dawn

Now broken and battered and needing that team

I’m no longer fit and lost all self esteem

They no longer need me as a soldier they say

So go pack your things and be on your way

Far as we are concerned your life here is done

Go back to your family, Hurry up now and run

I have since learned after thirty years and more

I’m not truly alone for I’ve met so many more

So many of us who were used and abused

Then thrown away while they kept the accused

So many nightmares I cannot control

Great fear of people and of the unkown

Trigger now means sights, smells and sounds

No longer aiming and shooting some rounds

My days are now spent much different from most

I live with my fears that are shared with a ghost

Most spent in seclusion so afraid to come out

Panic and fear is what my life is about

I’m the Other Veteran with a war yet I can’t win

Still fighting and losing the battle to him

My body now old will shake out of control

The pain and the ache are deep down in my soul

Should you someday meet someone who suffers like me

Remember their battle that no one can see

It’s there big as life for them day after day

Even when sleeping it won’t go away

The Other Veteran

JMS/Shortpig

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! this is an amazing poem. You were right with it being emotional I have had family members who have and still have to deal with this. I was wondering if I might have permission to share it with them. I think it may help just a little knowing that they aren't alone. Thank you for writing from your heart... you can tell it was in this poem.

Shortpig That really touched my heart and soul, my father was in WWII and it left him forever a shell of what he once was, he is gone now but I feel in this poem he lives on. Thank you so much for writing this and for sharing it too.

Yvonne

Mandi if you want to share that is fine. If this fits someone elses experiences or emotions and helps thats great. I personally carry this everyday. I've posted this on veteran forums but thought I would share here also.

Anyone who wishes to share this that is fine with me

WOW. That was amazing! I am a veteran but thank God I did not have to fight. All I could think of is my Grandfather as I read your poem. Very nice job
default_yes.gif

My brother still has severe PTS from Vietnam. Also, although they spent a lot of money and time to prove otherwise, He is a victim of Agent Orange. He is now using a power chair due to the effects of it.
default_no.gif

My brother still has severe PTS from Vietnam. Also, although they spent a lot of money and time to prove otherwise, He is a victim of Agent Orange. He is now using a power chair due to the effects of it.
default_no.gif
I sure hope the VA paid for that power chair as they should and that he is getting the other benefits from them that he deserves. I will PM you a website that he can go to where they care, they understand and they help each other all the time. This is Veterans helping Veterans.

That was a beautiful and powerful poem. THANK YOU so much for sharing it with us. My husband served as a medic in Vietnam 2 1/2 yrs, and then went on to serve 2 additional years as a medic in a German hospital. WE have some very good friends who also served in Vietnam, and talk about the "killings". I am going to print this poem off, if its Ok..and give them a copy of it.

Corinne

That was a beautiful and powerful poem. THANK YOU so much for sharing it with us. My husband served as a medic in Vietnam 2 1/2 yrs, and then went on to serve 2 additional years as a medic in a German hospital. WE have some very good friends who also served in Vietnam, and talk about the "killings". I am going to print this poem off, if its Ok..and give them a copy of it. Corinne

Feel free to print it Corinne.

I just received an email asking permission to publish this poem inside of a book regarding PTSD that someone has written and is publishing to assist others who suffer. Now my problem is how I will be credited for the poem in the book. Honestly I fear using my name. I have written alot of poems over the years I even have a childs book I have written and never published but never considered what name I would use if something were published.

Congrats on that!!! You deserve to have it published and others need to hear it. If you really fear using your name and sharing your identity than dont do it. I have written a book before about my life experiences and NEVER wanted anyone to know who I really was and what happened. The last thing I wanted was for people to come out of the wood works to ask questions. So I change my name for the book and set up an email account specifically for people to contact me in regards to the book. It worked out great for me and I wouldnt have it any other way. Its all about what makes YOU most comfortabe. Best of luck on your decision.

Thanks for your comments Mandi, I have decided to just use my initials as the author. I hope it helps other people who feel like I do.

Back