A pet peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'd like to hear the story behind "Marvlious" as well as behind "Mittey Titian" which has always bothered me a little wondering if they thought they were naming him "Mitey Titan". The way it is spelled it sounds like he's wearing mitts on female chest parts.
Another thing that bothers me is the Komoko line of horses. SO MANY people pronounce it Kokomo, like the city in Indiana. I've always wondered why.
Gee, I'm hoping they thought they were naming him "Mighty Titan!"
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
You're right, their spelling is weird no matter what.

As for the Komoko line, I suspect most of that is the same reason I had to read your sentence twice to figure out what the difference in the two words was. The human mind pays attention to the first and last letters and the length of the word; we don't pay attention to the middle unless we've never seen it!
rolleyes.gif

Spelling does bug me. I admit it. Grammar and syntax bug me more, although I'm far from an expert myself. But I have my own share of odd names with a horse named "Spyderman" and a mini named "Kody." Of course I didn't name Spyder, and Kody is shortened from Dakota (hence the K), but still. I got raised with Arabs where a CORRECTLY spelled name is an oddity due to the huge number of names already taken in that registry, so it doesn't bug me much. But yes, if it's a proper name you'd think people would take more care to get it right. Oh well!

As others have said, it's pretty low on the list of things to get truly upset about. More on the level of a roommate who can't put the seat down.
biggrin.gif

Leia

My stallions name on his registration papers is: Renagade, but I know its supposed to be spelt Renegade. Just figured that is what the breeder

wanted for the name, no big deal. I agree, I think some people do it purposefully because there are probably alot of horses out there with the same name and they wanted it to be a little different.

Spelling errors do not bother me. Seems we've had this topic on here before and some were very offended. I guess I don't understand why this topic seems to keep coming up.
wacko.gif

I agree, shminifancier..."let it be and get a cold one!"
laugh.gif

I have a son of Mittey Titian, and I named him Hurricane Hill High and Mighty. I was strongly considering spelling it 'High and Mittey', but just couldn't bring myself to do it!
biggrin.gif

Regarding spelling errors, I am kind of in Susanne's camp, here--spelling errors in registered names do bother me, unless they're intentionally spelled that way to be cute or to denote ancestry. For example, I have a horse named 'Bunanza', spelled that way because his dam's name was 'Bunny.'

Spelling and gramatical errors in 'real life' also bother me, much more so in printed material, however, than in bulletin board postings. I think it's really too bad that spelling and grammar are not really seen as very important anymore. In newspapers and magazines I often notice apostrophes used wrongly, as well as people using the wrong words (for example, effect/affect, its/it's, your/you're and there/their/they're)--and it really bugs me!

i mite bee gilty two wit them speelin misteaks. u no how dem ingineers r

saludando.gif

I thought it might be time for one of those humor breaks between curtain calls.
rolleyes.gif

Tommy

OK have to comment Susanne on this ONE remark......LOVE OUR LANGUAGE
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
not me....in fact our language is so messed up that we have all these words spelled different that sound exactly the same and meaning something different that it makes no stinkin(stinking) sense(cents)..........bear, bare, behr....hmmmmm all sound the same which one to use.......to, too.....okey dokey then........hair, hare........but I do digress
biggrin.gif
.....here, hear.......where, ware, wear......

HOW much stinkin sense does any of this make?????????????hello is this thing on
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I love words, I love dictionaries, grammar is merely a way to try and slow down the speed typer, talker, reader.........drives me nuts
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

We did a horse's name as Rubytwosday as a play on words. We had a horse named Ruby and her brother sired a filly that looked just like her. So we named it Ruby two but it was born on a Tuesday so we combined it into Rubytwosday.

I guess why it peeves me so much is that people dont relize that spelling and grammer can be a learning disability.

Betcha probably didnt know that all through out elementry I had to take that "special" class for grammer/reading/and spelling. Still to this day I cant tell you the difference between to and too, along with many other words like that. j

Also to this day, I can read a book 3 or more times over and cant tell you what I just read. I dont pick things like that up.

That is why this whole thing tickes me off, nobody seems to think that it might be a learn issue for some people, and to say they dont try just tickes me off even more.

Nuff Said.

Ashley, I'm very aware that spelling can be a learning disability, especially with dyslexia, and I would NEVER pick on you or anyone for having trouble spelling. There are millions out there (my late sister was one) who would be utterly lost without their dictionary and spell-checker.

My problem is not with those who have problems spelling, but rather with those who just don't care or don't take the time. I get the impression that you care very much, or it wouldn't bother you so much.

My point in this thread is that even when spelling doesn't come naturally, it is always possible to look up the word or place or name in a dictionary. Also, I completely understand creative spelling, but just as with irony, the intentions have to be clear in order for it to work.

Ashley, you are one of my favorite people on this forum, so please don't ever think that I think any less of you because you're not a spelling bee winner!

Latest posts

Back