A getting ready list

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
We were at the local feed store looking at all the colorful lead ropes, halters and such.

Stall rakes, water buckets, brushes, you name it, we were looking at it.

I have nothing left from my bigger horse days. My husband wants to know if you folks can help

us with a 'getting ready' list. He's my little list makes
yes.gif

Won't be much longer before our Mini's start trickling in.
aktion033.gif

PS: What size halters do I need to be looking at? Large horse foal size?

Do any of you have trouble finding small enough halters?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check out Ozark Mountain Miniature Horse and Pony tack, they are awesome and have everything you can imagine for your small equines (from minis, to Shetlands, to mini donkies they have it all). As for halters, I would talk to the seller and see if her halter comes with her, or ask what size and purchase a new one accordingly.

Heres a link to Ozarks online store. Ozark Tack

Best of luck in your search.

Dan.

I would go with halters made specifically for Minis. There are a number of vendors that sell them. Of course, every horse you buy should come with a properly fitting halter and a lead rope.

I usually buy my halters at a tack auction, but like I said, there are a number of vendors that advertise here. I'm sure several will chime in.

My husband is making a list as I type this. We just know as sure as heck there will be something obvious we'll forget until we need it.
rolleyes.gif

We're figuring out stall cleaning items, mini bathing items, shampoos, brushes, combs, halters, lead ropes, equine first aide kit, etc.

It' been years since we had any horses. Kind of fun having an excuse to shop
yes.gif

We still need to talk to the sellers and learn about mini feeding. We've not fed mini's before.

What do you all feed? Alfalfa? Orchard grass? Timothy? Mixtures?

I'm beginning to feel very dumb. But I've no doubt the sellers will be glad yo tell me about their feeding program.

I feel like a first time momma about ready to have a baby
rolleyes.gif
(or should that read babies)

I mostly stick iwth mini-specific halters, but depending on the size of your minis, full-size foal halters might fit. [i have a couple B-size minis that do wear adjustible full-size foal halters, and they work ok.] I like the halters from KayJay Tack, I use both the plain barn halter and the adjustible barn halter.

I have way more stuff than I need or use, but when I got the mini bug, I also got the bug for buying mini sized stuff. [i still have full-size horses, so have their stuff too.] I have extra halters, lead ropes, brushes, hoof picks, mane/tail brushes. I try not to get too carried away buying seasonal stuff like shampoos and fly spray, so I don't have to store too much of it in the house over the winter (to prevent freezing). As far as first-aid goes, a ready-made equine first-aid kit, would be a quick way to have a good base to start with (for the most part with first-aid, size doesn't matter).

For feed, you'll find everyone has their own feed program. If you check out the search feature here on the forum, type in feed, and you'll get enough hits to keep your reading for days. I'd start out with what their current feed program is, talk to the seller about it, and start with what and how much they feed (especially if you are happy with the way they look, now). [i've bought a couple that needed to lose a little weight after they arrived, and a couple that needed a little topline.]

As others said, your minis should come with a halter and lead. But check out the vendors on the LB site above - Miniature Horse & Tack-US. Many things can be bought at regular vendors such as Dover, though, like grooming supplies, first aid, & fly spray. A lot of items will be the same things you would need for a big horse except scaled down.

Exceptions - things you may want because these are minis:

A Fine Tines manure fork to pick up those mini poops (available from Dover among other places, in 2 sizes)

This is personal preference, but I use pelleted bedding for the minis, which when WET breaks down into sawdust and makes stall cleaning much easier than shavings.

You can also get fly masks and breakaway halters (with fuses: I would not trust a leather crown to break) for minis for turnout.

I would not bother with leg bandages (for trailering) but would have sheets, rain sheets, and waterproof turnouts on hand. Maybe not for each mini, but enough for travel or sickness.

And for showing, the list will expand exponentially!! Have fun shopping.

ETA: For feed, etc. I would see what is available in your area for feed stores and hay suppliers, which will affect which brand of grain and type of hay you feed. This will vary tremendously by region! For example, in my area, there are TWO Tractor Supply stores within 15 minutes of me- one along with numerous feed stores, ONE of which delivers every two weeks for $6. I can have a standing order or call it in each time. Plus he can order stuff for me. So check around!!! Ask everyone you know locally about hay suppliers and don't be surprised if they won't share. A good hay supplier is priceless.

I like the barn halters from Kay Jay tack. They are very affordable, are specifically made for minis, and come in a lot of colors. I also like their *round* mini leads. I dont use flat leads, cant tie a quick release knot with them. You can get halters from Kay jay tack for as little as $5 and 6' leads for $3.50, or you can get a halter with a matching 6' lead for $6.50
default_smile.png
Kay Jay halter and lead set

You will also need buckets and feed pans. Some people like to feed from hanging feeders, I prefer the little rubber feed pans that go on the floor. They dont break if the horses stomp them, or play with them, and it keeps the horses eating in a natural position.

I like my Oster grooming kit, Its around $50 but the brushes are comfortable to hold, made well, and it all fits in a hanging storage bag. If you have a lot of horses it probably isn't economical to buy a kit for each color, but when I was showing a few horses I had a separate kit for my light horses and my dark horses. These brushes are pretty tough, Ive been known to throw them in my washing machine with horse shampoo to get them clean the day before a show so they are ready to take in the morning.

For a stall fork, the regular ones get old very quick, the mini poop is smaller than the tines spacing, and it takes twice as long to clean a stall. It's a little more expensive, but the fine tines stall fork does a MUCH better job.

A very important often overlooked item is a first aid kit. Luck says that you wont need it unless you dont have it lol

I buy fly spray and shampoo in the summer when it's on sale. I prefer bite free fly spray, its expensive, but works in my area. For shampoo I like superpoo, EQ solutions (I use it in a foaming bath sprayer), quick silver tends to be drying, so I only use it for really stubborn stains, otherwise I use dog shampoo for white dogs. I condition manes and tails with cholesterol conditioner for human hair.

A pair of clippers is very nice to have

I could go on for days lol, I have a horse shopping "issue" lol

Shampoos and conditioners I get from the dollar store. Also extra rags and washcloths.

We buy square plastic containers to put feed in and carry to barn from there as well. We also get hairbrushes there for manes and tails.

Halters I would get mini specific ones for now some of the larger foal halters will fit minis but sometimes not

As far as feed I would start with what is he currently eating and are you pleased with is condition if so I would try to find what they are feeding.

There is no one type of hay to feed some swear no alfalfa and many feed it. Some swear all minis are easy keepers who get fat on air but again not the case for all minis not even the majority.

I think as long as you have your basics like halter and lead and feed and water buckets a couple of brushes you will be ok to start with

nice to see the excitement you have
default_yes.gif

When you're use to big horse "stuff" and get these little guys, the desire to shop,shop,shop is overwhelming, I understand - been there; done that!

You might find some deals at http://www.doublediamondtack.com/ in their close out items. I also like their halters (the $7.50)and leads as I prefer a halter that has the fastener under the throat latch so I can undo it for grooming/ clipping.

Here's another site to find fine tine forks (they're really the best for picking up those little poohs) http://www.aplusequi...ef=MAIN6=

My personal preference for bedding is Easy Pic or a product like it. It looks, well is, sawdust but it's been "cleaned" to help reduce the dust. It absorbs well and is easier to "pick" thru so not as much waste.

The feed I like to keep simple. I feed good quality grass hay in winter and add or rather substitute part of that amount with afalfa cubes in show season. I weigh all my feed even the hay so they get 1 1/2 to 2 % of their ideal body weight in total feed (hay plus everything else). I use a supplement so I know they have all the right vitamins to go with that hay. (personal preferrence - since minis gain so easily I use Purina's Enrich 12 and they only need around a 1/2 cup a day) I also use beet pulp, wet, (but I weigh it dry). I only give about a 1/2 lb of beet pulp each morning and this is more so I have them used to eating it if I need to "hide" medicine and so they have some liquid in the diet when we travel to shows.

Be sure to go slow with any changes from what they are getting now.

You'll need, or want, the same type of brushes you had for big horses only not quiet as stiff, especially if you clip them for shows. If you shop in the mini supply places they'll be smaller and will probably be easier to fit in your hand.

You'll need the same wormers; only in smaller amounts. The same sort of first aid type items too. I keep probiotics ( akin to giving kids yogurt) around for those upset hind guts that sometimes come from worming or trailering.

I try to NOT blanket unless they are showing outward signs of cold or unless I'm sending them out and it might snow (and then temps drop) when I'm not home.

Diaper wipes are a good thing from the dollar store for use at shows. All types of clean up (horse and human).

Stall supplies much the same only smaller size. I like flat back buckets. I use 5 gallon heated ones for winter water. I feed in the smaller pails hung from those hooks that have a ring with the hook inside so the bucket stays on the wall longer (mine have figured out how to remove the buckets anyway). I prefer to ground feed. I use mats in the stalls and even outside a 3 x4 mat in each run in shed so I can throw hay there. Since there are no hooks at the shows, I take large flat pans to feed their supplement and beet pulp and soaked alfalfa.

Ok, Waaaay too much information, sorry.

these are things I like to have on hand in my first add kit.

Just put up some web sites so you can read up on them..

Just nice to have things on hand, they always get sick on weekends, and after

the vet closes. I always recommend to speak with your vet if all possible.

Its nice to have, and hope you never need to use them.

Good Luck and have fun shopping

Schreiners Herbal solution

http://www.bigdweb.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1313S

911 emergency colic paste

http://www.bigdweb.com/911-EMERGENCY-COLIC-CARE-PASTE-80ML-SINGLE-DOSE-SYRINGE/productinfo/911U/

Banamine paste or you also can get the liquid.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Banamine-prod10715.html

Asking the seller for halter sizes is good but even better is asking for measurements. With my minis brand "A" they might wear large but brand "B" they might be extra large yet brand "C" they're medium! My stallion came with a halter but it was very poor quality and actually caused some injury to his face (rubs/cuts) so I would ask, if they do come with a halter, what kind. My gelding did not come with a halter when I bought him (I assumed he did and didn't bring one when I showed up to pick him up! Big mistake! I was able to obtain one though). For halter I don't buy them unless they're adjustable on the chin/nose part too, as some times the poll might fit but you need the nose to be a little smaller or bigger. I like when they have the buckle/clip on the throat latch so grooming is easier but thats not a must for me.

A tack tote/grooming tote is great to have too (I perfer the rectangle hard plastic kind). It makes carrying all the grooming equipment sooo much easier! I try to pick these up for $1-$5 at used tack stores, unless I want a certain color. They work great for shows too.

Brushes: I always have a stiff body brush, a medium, and a soft. Then a nice soft face brush in addition to rags that I can use to get out "eye crusties" and clean noses

Don't forget a hoof pick! Sounds silly but its one of those things that can so easily be forgotten about. And make sure its small enough. I have the horseman's swiss army knife. It has a thin hoofpick that I find perfect for my little guys small feet.

Lastly, the most important thing.... TREATS!!!! Who doesn't love a good treat?? I like to always have horse cookies and carrots on hand so I can spoil my little guys
default_biggrin.png

ETA: For feed, etc. I would see what is available in your area for feed stores and hay suppliers, which will affect which brand of grain and type of hay you feed. This will vary tremendously by region! For example, in my area, there are TWO Tractor Supply stores within 15 minutes of me- one along with numerous feed stores, ONE of which delivers every two weeks for $6. I can have a standing order or call it in each time. Plus he can order stuff for me. So check around!!! Ask everyone you know locally about hay suppliers and don't be surprised if they won't share. A good hay supplier is priceless.

We are very blessed to live in a valley well known for their hay production. in the Pac NW and abroad.

Here and in surrounding areas is alfalfa, timothy, orchard grass and even some really awesome oat hay I use to get out of a small town called Selah. (many years back)

And many farmers will grow a few acres of a Orchard grass/ alfalfa mix.

Depending upon pasture and amount of land one has many here don't even need to throw hay for 6 months out of the year.

We have a neighbor who is wanting to sell 20 acres and we are considering it. It would be a lovely addition.

I'd love to put 5 to 10 acres of it in hay. There are small outfits who will do it for you for a % of the crop if one doesn't have their own equipment.

But we don't know yet if we want it or not.

We were at the local feed store looking at all the colorful lead ropes, halters and such.

Stall rakes, water buckets, brushes, you name it, we were looking at it.

I have nothing left from my bigger horse days. My husband wants to know if you folks can help

us with a 'getting ready' list. He's my little list makes
yes.gif

Won't be much longer before our Mini's start trickling in.
aktion033.gif

PS: What size halters do I need to be looking at? Large horse foal size?

Do any of you have trouble finding small enough halters?

Hi CJ.... = ) Horses from Gold Vision Farm always come with a well fitting halter and lead rope. = ) As far as what extra halters and sizes you want to have on hand... will be of personal preference. For nylon barn halters, I prefer the non adjustable chin and like the lighter weight ones... they also happen to be the most economical, but I personally like them better... less stuff to mess with or come apart on you under the chin.

As far as bedding, again it is personal preference and what you use may depend on what you have available in your area. Here, we buy the shavings by the truck load... I have found them to be the most economical, but then you have to cover it from the weather (I wish we had a shavings covered area).... Some people buy the bagged shavings.... minis, at least mine... tend to munch on the larger shavings so the smaller ones are preferred here.. Other people like the pellets.... I found pellets more expensive and a since I didn't just throw dry pellets in the stall as mine thought they were food... and I found it more time consuming to water them in the wheelbarrow to expand before laying in the stalls. Time for me is always a consideration. However, you yourself will find what suits your lifestyle and budget better than anyone else.

Stall picks... nothing beats Finetyne for those little poops. = ) I get the large basket one and the small basket for when the grandkids say they want to help Nana clean stalls. Brushes... wow...lots to choose from and I have show sets and barn sets... for clean and dirty horses... stiff and smooth and I buy the cheap people hair brushes at the discount store for the manes and tails. I'm constantly washing and disinfecting them for cleanliness. If you can find the one piece instead of the glued on tips it does last longer.

Feed... for hay, I feed a mixture of orchard grass and alfalfa...the percentage based on the individual horse's needs. I feed 2x a day with a small hay snack at final night check before going to bed. Grain type and amount is dependent on the individual's horse's needs and usage (stallion/mare/gelding/fat/lean/show/breeding/broodmare/foal/yearling.. etc. We use crimped oats, Allegra Cadence and then LMF Showtime for the show horses and beep pulp... and to those needing just a little more weight. All horses receive a probiotic for digestion daily, apple cider vinegar for natural fly repellent, oil and during show season a coat conditioner. Having a colic free farm for over 6-7 years...(knock on wood), I attribute some of that not only from eliminating high corn content in the grain I feed, but also feeding the hay first (their salad) and adding water to their grain ration to make it a mash... yep.. every feeding. We weigh all of our hay and feed, so we can tell how much to increase and decrease amounts accordingly. Maintaining a regular worming regiment of course is also important. = )

My horses also come with schedule of what they're eating and the amounts for each horse, and recommend that if changing from that to something different... is done slowly.

Here on LB... they have a section for a list of supply vendors you can visit. I have some of my personal favorite places I'll be happy to share with you privately.

I can also share with you which blankets I like best and why.

For halter sizes....Since I like Double Diamond supply, I've found that their medium fits the 34" best. I have used the small on my 32" guy but when the hair starts coming (winter) it gets tight.

A suggestion for the hoof picks. I buy the cheap ones and then use the grinder on them to bring them down to about a medium to small flathead screwdriver size. This seems to clean their little hooves best.

I guess I am slow I just now realized you are in WA state. You are lucky there are several top trainers in that state - lots of shows reasonably close by and lots of great mini and pony people!

My daughter spends her summers up there showing and if it were up to her she would live there full time!

I like to use the small square "mineral" feeders sold by TSC and Jeffers etc for putting feed in.

About the only vendor I didn't see that I use is Star Lakes Tack. Kathy is always nice to work with.

Are you going to be driving?

You'll need a well fitting harness from a miniature horse vendor. I prefer leather, but some folks like the synthetic. And a cart. A new "easy entry" runs around $400 and worth the money. I still have the 1st 2 I ever bought and use them as breaking and training carts. Homemade carts can look nice and work well, but they can be balanced wrong and put too much weight on the horse.

We don't want to give too much sticker shock, so won't bring up show harnesses, show halter, show carts.
default_biggrin.png

Welcome to little horse world!

Latest posts

Back