A few Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShashwatAcres

Reaction score
I bet you guys are just tired of me asking all theses questions huh
default_unsure.png
. Well I have a few more, lol 1st off how do you get these little guys to start lunging, I dont have a round pen so have been working her ok maybe more me than her LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
I have tried everything I know to get her to start lunging ever to just take 1 step in the right direction. I try to make her sessions short and simple so not to get her where she doesnt understand. So until I can get her to doing this we have been going running
default_rolleyes.gif
and jumping over short poles lol. Like I said its probably more me LOL
default_wink.png
ok next question lol, so the farrier that I had spoken with before getting gracie and getting her home he will not do her feet nor will any of the other farriers in the area so that leaves me to trim her feet. So I have trimmed the big horses and have gotten videos read books on trimming the minis.But is this something that I shouldnt take on, the farrier has agreed to come look at what I do when I do trim gracie but he will not trim her for me
default_wacko.png
. I plan on working on her feet either tonight after jury duty or tomorrow on my day off LOL
default_wacko.png
So my question is does anyone have pictures that I can compair too please
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png

Thanks in advance,

Becky

HI Becky

Start with the lunge line very short. Start by turning a tight circle and she will have to move as she will be off balance. Tap the whip behind her. Gradually loosen the line and get the circle going bigger. Sometimes it also helps to have a helper hold her by the halter and lead her in a circle. But if you dont have one just start with small circles and then get bigger. Always use voice commands so she learns them such as walk, trot, canter, whoa, reverse

HI Becky
Start with the lunge line very short. Start by turning a tight circle and she will have to move as she will be off balance. Tap the whip behind her. Gradually loosen the line and get the circle going bigger. Sometimes it also helps to have a helper hold her by the halter and lead her in a circle. But if you dont have one just start with small circles and then get bigger. Always use voice commands so she learns them such as walk, trot, canter, whoa, reverse

Yep, that's a great way to start if you don't have help. If you do, start out with a long line and have the helper lead him/her. Use commands and have the helper guide the horse ie. walk, trot, canter, whoa etc.

I just checked and there is an article on the lilbeginnings main page on how to teach a mini to lunge.
default_laugh.png
Might be worth checking out. Sorry I can't help on the ferrier issue. I do know there are some books and videos out there... someone will chime in with the info...

I bet you guys are just tired of me asking all theses questions huh
default_unsure.png
. Well I have a few more, lol 1st off how do you get these little guys to start lunging, I dont have a round pen so have been working her ok maybe more me than her LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
I have tried everything I know to get her to start lunging ever to just take 1 step in the right direction. I try to make her sessions short and simple so not to get her where she doesnt understand. So until I can get her to doing this we have been going running
default_rolleyes.gif
and jumping over short poles lol. Like I said its probably more me LOL
default_wink.png
ok next question lol, so the farrier that I had spoken with before getting gracie and getting her home he will not do her feet nor will any of the other farriers in the area so that leaves me to trim her feet. So I have trimmed the big horses and have gotten videos read books on trimming the minis.But is this something that I shouldnt take on, the farrier has agreed to come look at what I do when I do trim gracie but he will not trim her for me
default_wacko.png
. I plan on working on her feet either tonight after jury duty or tomorrow on my day off LOL
default_wacko.png
So my question is does anyone have pictures that I can compair too please
default_unsure.png
default_wink.png

Thanks in advance,

Becky
Is it right, we have to wait until they are 3 years old to start lunging?

There is a great book by Cherry Hill. Longeing and Long Lining, The English and Western Horse: A Total Program

It will give you step by step instructions as well as ideas of what to with your horse once you start lunging. There is a long more that just making them go around in a circle at a walk, trot, and canter. I highly recommend it.

I would also suggest you find a horse person to show you, a good dressage instructor may give you a lesson in how to lunge a horse. Nothing beats a person actually there to show you and answer questions.

Latest posts

Back