a few more newbie questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
I am enjoying my Mini Horses so much! They are a lot of work but so much fun to be around. I am curious... when I am cleaning their hooves (with a hoof pick) Baby always comes over and licks my sleeves, my hair, my back while I'm cleaning Dolly (her mom). Is she looking for treats or being affectionate? They do get a fair share of treats
default_smile.png
I noticed she is much more curious and nosey about everything I touch and do. For the most part, Dolly is more easy going and seems to be laid back about anything I do around them or ask of them (such as putting their hooves up for me to clean or going in/out of the barn without trying to break in and steal sheep food. I also wondered, when I put them outside in the morning, they always walk away when I try to pet them. Do I take this personally as a sign of defiance or just as them being excited to graze? Also what do I do when one misbehaves? For example Baby reach out and grabbed my silver pendant in a flash and had it gripped in her teeth almost breaking the chain. I yelled a "hey baby" in an angry voice and she let go. I just want to make sure I'm not making them afraid of me. Otherwise they are doing great, getting a little fatter (I am going by the "ribs slightly felt but not seen" rule) and bring me a lot of joy.

Is she looking for treats or being affectionate?

Probably both, and wanting attention and just being nosey and in your face.

Do I take this personally as a sign of defiance or just as them being excited to graze?

I can't compete with grazing! When mine first go out in the morning, all they have on their minds is run, run, run, and grass, grass, and more grass. After they've been out a while grazing away, then I can go out there and pet them etc. but they are going to play and get their kinks out first after being in the barn all night long.

For example Baby reach out and grabbed my silver pendant in a flash and had it gripped in her teeth almost breaking the chain.

Yup, my colt is at that stage too now where he wants everything in his mouth including me. He got me good in the butt the other day and now its deflated and squished flat.
default_wacko.png

my gelding gave me a wedgie the other day
default_new_shocked.gif
he grabed the elastic waistband of my undies when I was bent over and lifted me straight up.... they are very entertaining little creatures....
default_wub.png

They sound like pretty normal, entertaining minis!

One caution about treats - we severely limit the treats that our minis get, because we found that it tended to make them a bit pushy. We do spend lots of time training them, but they do not act act deprived or resistent to learning! They get pats, kind words, and a few minutes of grass time insteead of "treats".

My young colt got me in the arm the other day and left a bruise that my doctor asked about... There is kind of a fine line between instant punishment for bad behavior and not making them head shy or scared of you. Some seem to get it much faster than others, and for some, sharp words ("NO") are pretty effective.

Latest posts

Back