A color question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_minihorses4ever_

Reaction score
I recently noticed Romeo has a "dorsal stripe" down his back. Now.. As far as I know his parents are both bay. Can blacks have this stripe down their back?

His sire can be seen HERE -WF Pattons Spectacular Bey

His dam can be seen HERE -Little Kings Starlight Supreme

Here is a picture.. Sorry it is not the best at showing it off. It is a lot easier to see than the picture shows..

RomeoShow0065jpg.jpg

My guess is that it is because he was clipped and is showing his undercoat which could be a tad lighter than his normal coat. His dam does not look just bay though. I'm not sure what to call her. I wish I could see a full body shot. Do you have any of this boy in his natural coat? I am wondering about smoky black being a possibility.

No, I only have him in his fuzzy foal coat and clipped.. I just got him in September.

Here is his pictures as a teeny baby if it helps:

romeocopy.jpg

Mom doesn't look like a bay, to me..........but dad does.

Your kid could be either a black bay or a smoky black, IMO. But you of course need to do a color test to know for sure. Of course, if he's smoky black then his offspring would show up with evidence of his dilute gene.

MA

i'd be willing to bet mom is a smokey black. she looks it to me.

I agree that his dam looks smokey black, not bay. I'm thinking he's possibly smokey black also. It's not overly obvious in his clipped pic, but his baby pic sure looks like other smokey blacks I've seen. I'd have him tested! Let us know the results!
default_laugh.png

Thanks guys! I would have never thought of that possibility on my own.. Shows how much I know about horse color. LOL

default_yes.gif

If I understand it correctly, blacks could have counter shading but if they actually had dun, they would be grulla/grullo color and would have a dark head, but the dun factor would lighten the color of the coat on the body (?).

Also, some smokey blacks do "look" it. Others can look "black as the night" and still be smokey black (carry cream dilute).

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask why you think the mom is smokey black? Could it be the light color inside her ears? The color of her mane? I have 2 black girls here and one I think is grulla cause she has a dorsal even in her winter coat and a black head. She is very dark though and they both have the lighter inner ears. One girl is out of a solid black mare with unknown dad and the other is out of a bay dam and by a blackish dad with the light inner ears and an odd brassiness to his mane. Curious about the smokey black thing.

Latest posts

Back