A bit of a medical question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
Ok, I did something very stupid at work tonight and sliced my finger open very well. I put it under water and put a bandaid on it but had to get back to work. I don't think it needs stitches, it just hurts a lot and has been bleeding off and on since it happened (around 6:30). My problem is that I leave for Mexico on Saturday, and people are freaking me out telling me to go to the doctor because I'll get Hepatitis. I really really hate to go to the Dr's for a problem that will fix itself when there are real sick people that need to see a doctor. However, my mother has threatened me with a fate worse then death if I don't head in and get it checked out. I probably will have to tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this kind of thing? Or what I could do? I was planning on buying some of that liquid band-aid stuff to keep it shut and hopefully seal it. If anyone has any kind of knowledge in this kind of thing it would be really nice. Thanks!

I'm not medically trained in ANY way, so I hope others who are will post, but I would be afraid of sealing a deep cut up from the outside in case any bacteria are trapped inside. I hope you get it squared away and that it's not a big deal affecting your exciting trip in any way!

Dan and I keep a BIG supply of liquid bandaide but the problem we have found with that if it is still bleeding sometimes it wont work

and we get some nasty cuts in our line of work

it wouldnt hurt to have it looked at

it might need some stitches or pro sealer by the doc

dawn

If it's deep enough that it's still bleeding, it should be looked at. Keep it covered (loosely to prevent it from getting dirty). The bodies way of preventing a wound from getting dirty is to keep seeping and oozing as it heals. The hands aren't an area you want to mess around with - when you bend your fingers it will continue to open up again. Even small wounds sometimes require sutures.

Do I take it that you haven't had your hepatitis shots in preparation for your trip to Mexico? Here everyone I know that goes to Mexico or any of the island resort countries (Dominican Republic, etc) gets vaccinated for hepatitis before they go.

I would say your mother is right about seeing the doctor before you leave on your trip.

It wouldn't hurt to have it looked out. A tetinus (sp?) shot would be a good idea. As for Hepatitis (usually B)......the shots you'd need to prevent you from getting it is a series of 3 shots taken over several months. Then you just have to have a titer drawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back