A BIG Pet Peeve of mine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
Put adds on Facebook and lil Beginnings regarding a horse for sale, then when you inquire about that horse, because you are really interested, they do not respond to you?

I saw a colt that I was interested in and have emailed them a few times and still no response?
default_new_shocked.gif

Well I will give my excuse for FB at least....sometimes it simply doesnt notify me of a message, I have found several comments on photos that I never got notified of therefore never saw! As for direct messages that dont require notification, those get answered as soon as I see them. I have no idea as for others reasons except maybe that they dont have access to a computer very often, I know a few people that only check their emails once a week.

I've had some messages on FB that I never received e-mail notification for. Not sure why that happens, but every so often it does. Since it happens to me I assume that it happens to others as well. I would imagine too that there are a number of people who, like me, don't go on FB regularly or frequently--I miss a lot of stuff on there just because I might go several days without checking the site at all. So, if I don't get e-mail notification of a message, I may not notice that message for quite awhile.

Same here. Facebook sometimes has a glitch and doesn't notify you. Also, sometimes emails can get blocked and sent to spam. A lot of people forget to check their spam box.

I do not receive most notifications on facebook any more and i also do not receive some emails. If I don't get a response about a horse i'm really interested, I always call. I like calling anyway because I get more honest responses (not enough time think of rewording like through messaging) and can get all of my questions answered right away. I think you should go ahead and call-can't hurt!

I drop an email first but if I don't hear back after a week I'll probably call and leave a message if someone doesn't pick up. Very easy for digital communication to vanish! If I don't hear back from them after the call I may try again or just move on.

I'm one of those people that doesn't check FB too often. I tried a few times today to post messages to family members and kept getting some error/try-again-later message so I gave up. It can be frustrating.

About the picture comments.. I only sometimes get notifications too. I feel bad when I see someone posted a nice comment about one of my kids or pets and then notice it was dated weeks before

Hopefully they contact you soon. It took my horse's seller an entire 4 hours to get back in touch with me. I think I sat here the entire time waiting too!
default_whistling.gif
default_impatient.jpg
default_new_rofl.gif

I'm not making excuses for someone else, but my internet was down for a week last week becuase our phone company is on strike and couldn't get repairs done after rain damage. I would also recommend calling and if no answer leave a message, when my service came back on that was the first thing I checked was messages. They may have also had a family emergency, so I would give them another week, then if no response I would move on.

I know how you feel...

Though I don't get on fb much right now, I have responded to some ads on Lilb and fb and people don't answer all the questions or they just won't provide more pictures.

A head shot picture does not show what the horse is really like!

Some people think their horses are perfect but not everybody has the same opinion so pictures are needed so everyone is happy with the sale/purchase of the horse.

I REALLY don't understand why people put horses up for sale without having the pictures. Because when you inquiry they say it is going to take a few days because they are busy or bad weather, etc. (and it takes a few weeks to a month OR you never receive them).

In my opinion pictures should already be taking and saved on the computer, so when people do inquire you just have to forward the photos..... I know some people will even want more pictures but at least you have the basics.

And just because a horse is a GRAND champion does NOT mean it is correct!!!! So if they tell you "well he has taken many grands this year so he has to be correct", NOT! They should still provide pictures!

And I even had a lady who has said in many of her ads "My herd is the best in the World, and no one has the quality that I have!", tell me in an email after I asked the basic questions about: straight legs, good bite, breeding sound and so on, she told in the email that "I had NO right to ask her these questions!" huh?
default_wacko.png

I now look at it this way, they must not really want to sell the horse and I just keep looking. And in this economy you think people would do everything possible to help make a sale!

Alright I will get off my soap box now.
default_smile.png

Email frustrates me sometimes, as much as I like it other times,

I have posted ads in the past and received a call, letting me know that someone was "trying" to email without success.

We have gone over and over the email trying to figure out why some do not come through

and really appreciate the times over the years when someone let us know.

We don't "do" facebook however.

Just never have.

As nice as email is, I have found that it's not really always reliable and there are lots of reasons

for the problem.

I always think it's best to call if I'm really interested and don't get a response in a day or two from email.

When I was looking at my first mini, I sent a couple e-mails without response. I was talking with a friend about it, who happened to know the seller and she told me the seller always answers e-mails, so I called. For some reason the e-mails I sent weren't going through to her; I gave her my e-mail addy over the phone, she e-mailed and then we could communicate by e-mail no problem. I don't know why mine weren't going to her, but once she sent me an e-mail the rest went through just fine.
default_wacko.png

So, if the horse is one you are really interested in, try a phone call before giving up and moving on.

I know for a fact that not all my emails come through that are sent to me. It seems all the time some asks me "Did you get such and such email?" And sometimes I haven't.

If I were to send an email and never got a reply, I would probably send a follow up one. Or call. Maybe they never got the message.

If I did not receive an email back I would definitely call them.

I'm one of those people that doesn't check FB too often. I tried a few times today to post messages to family members and kept getting some error/try-again-later message so I gave up. It can be frustrating.

About the picture comments.. I only sometimes get notifications too. I feel bad when I see someone posted a nice comment about one of my kids or pets and then notice it was dated weeks before

Hopefully they contact you soon. It took my horse's seller an entire 4 hours to get back in touch with me. I think I sat here the entire time waiting too!
default_whistling.gif
default_impatient.jpg
default_new_rofl.gif

OOps, you mean you're supposed to reply to those comments? See some of us are computer backward -- Emily Post (ok if you're not old enough to remember her) never said anything about computer etiquette.

I've been waiting for a reply from someone that I wanted talk with about training only to find that they are out of state at a big horse show. Now who would think that people might have other interests than we do! Yes, if I was really interested in a horse and no email came back, I'd call.

As far as email sometimes I find some in spam that shouldn't be in the spam folder. I also have a contact form on my website and someone used it to ask about a colt I had for sale and didn't put the right email address in so I could email them back. I feel really bad but nothing I can do
default_sad.png

I know this is about facebook, but I found a very nice looking mini cart on craigs list that didn't list a phone number. I left several messages but never heard back. It was from the next state and was very frustrating because the cart was what I wanted. If a phone number was included, I would have called.

I have called and left messages, plus another email today. Still nothing. If they were at the Worlds and would not be checking their emails, then why did they post on facebook and lilbeginnings just a couple of days ago?

Post when you know you can return emails and/or phone calls.

Not everyone checks their spam box each day and many legit emails end up there. Sometimes it is because the sender put something questionable (to the email programme) in the subject line. Something like, "I want your sexy stallion" will most likely end up in the recipient's spam box and they might not see it.

Also, some email companies/servers don't like each other. There are two email addresses in the UK, which will not accept my verizon email. Years ago, many email servers wouldn't accept hotmail accounts, because so many spammers used them. Now some won't accept gmail accounts, for the same reason.

Lizzie

Put adds on Facebook and lil Beginnings regarding a horse for sale, then when you inquire about that horse, because you are really interested, they do not respond to you?

I saw a colt that I was interested in and have emailed them a few times and still no response?
default_new_shocked.gif
May people have remarked that some folks don't check e-mails and such regularly...well, that doesn't sit well with me in cases such as this. If you advertise on-line, and put your contact down as an e-mail address, they by golly CHECK YOUR E-MAILS...don't expect the buyer to do ALL THE WORK...the onus is on YOU...the seller, to hold up your part of the bargan...and that is to be there to answer questions about the item YOU want to SELL!!

Latest posts

Back