8 Month Old Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I know all horses are different, and since I don't have the horse home yet, I am wondering approximately what size blanket an 8 month old foal would wear? He is expected to mature in the 32"-33" height range if that helps. Thanks!

If you measure with a cloth tape measure and measure from the middle of his chest to the middle of his tail, you will see how big of a blanket you will need.

I know how to measure, I was just wondering ahead of time approximately what size a colt that age/expected mature height would fit.

Mona, Could you have the person who has him now measure him for the right fit? I can measure mine to see what they measure if you can't. Mary

My guy will probably mature about 30 inches or so. He's 26 inches tall right now and he's a 32 inch blanket length, so your guy might be around that size. Mine just turned 8 months this week.

Mona, I have several weanlings in the show barn that will likely mature around that height. The brand you buy could make a difference, but to fit him now, probably a size 38 or 40 would work. I find weanlings/yearlings the hardest to fit because they are GROWING!
default_wacko.png
:

Since, he's still growing, perhaps you might want to try one of the adjustable blankets that fits a range of sizes. I've seen them, but don't remember where. They are sized like small, medium and large; with each size being a range (they are usually open front to help with the adjustments). They aren't always the best fitting blankets, but would last a little longer on a growing youngster.

Mona, Accoding to my measuring I would say about a 40" would be roomy enough. Mary

Thanks everyone! When I first posted this, he was not here, and I could not ask the person at the other end to measure, as the colt was "in transit" and on his way here. The seller sent a blanket, but I was worried it may be too light for these temps, since he was coming from NC into this wintery weather! I had a 36" heavier blanket here at home that I wondered if it would fit him, so I had posted, in hopes that someone may answer in that area, and sounds like it just may do the trick! Thanks again!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back