75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work with the elderly as a RN and I am shaking my head at some of the posts. What is it was your father or grandfather or brother or uncle or your next door neighbor that you have known for a million years. Alot of elderly have NO IDEA that they have a problem. My mother is a good example. I love her to death and she is very unaware of her forgetfulness and she is only 68. And just diagnosised with cancer possibly to the brain.

So PLEASE until the whole story is told PLEASE do not judge. Age bears no meaning on dementia or a number of other problems. I know people in their 90's in better shape than you or I and people in their 50's that dementia has destroyed their quality of life and they don't recognize anyone. It may not even be health related but to judge a person before this whole story is told is unfair to him or anyone. In my younger days I would judge immediately and with age and life experiences have learned that to wait for the whole story saves me alot of embarassment, pain and emotions. Don't get me wrong I still overact to somethings and am working on that and I fear for the safety and well being of the horses and any animal that may need assistance. Ask Rick about that
default_smile.png
We have had our share of different rescue cases over the years.

We would be more than willing to foster a few horses and if transportation is needed. Add our names to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I agree with Cyndi. There is just no excuse for this kind of neglect. If you can't care for your horses, you shouldn't have them. Simple as that.

These horses are in terrible shape, showing signs of severe neglect, not just a little thin.

I know about 5 people 'of retirement age', one in his seventies, that have minis which they care for on their own and all their horses are in fantastic condition, healthy and happy. I don't think age is an excuse at all. :no:
There are no excuses, just educated guesses as to why he would allow this.

Age is not necessarily the case, IF he has alzheimer's that is a likely mistake on his part. IF he doesn't then No there is no excuse. Just benign neglect. Either way, he probably will no longer be able to care for them anymore.

My grandmother lived at home for several years with alzheimer's and it was the same instance as SunQuest described. They have no control over it, and they DON'T know anything is wrong with them. If he has no one close to him, then no one knows to help him out.

So we will just see what they find out and be there to help.

I work with the elderly as a RN and I am shaking my head at some of the posts. What is it was your father or grandfather or brother or uncle or your next door neighbor that you have known for a million years. Alot of elderly have NO IDEA that they have a problem. My mother is a good example. I love her to death and she is very unaware of her forgetfulness and she is only 68. And just diagnosised with cancer possibly to the brain.

So PLEASE until the whole story is told PLEASE do not judge. Age bears no meaning on dementia or a number of other problems. I know people in their 90's in better shape than you or I.

I would be more than willing to foster a few horses. Add my name to the list.
Kitty~My blessing to you and your mother!

My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer at 48. By 49 she passed away, per it moving from her lung to her brain and spine. It can happen that quick, and no one understands the strange changes they go through per their personality and actions when their brain is being influenced, unless you have actually experienced it with a family or friend.

~So she is very right in not to Judge him. Even if all of this is over and he just didn't have the heart to sell or ask for help and it was pure neglect...I still will not judge him, just be proud that I was there to help~

I sincerely hope that the horses are rescued and also that this older gentlemen gets some medical help also. How sad that there was no one close to him to help him as he got older.

This might be a good reminded for all of us that have older neighbors etc., that are involved with horses or any animals as far as that is concerned. We need to check in with them and offer assistance when it is needed on a regular schedule. In this case it possibly would have saved these horses from neglect and the older man from being alone and maybe fearful.

Thanks Michelle for the update. And bless you Renee for the offer of the wormer. What kind is it? We've had good luck using Safeguard for 5 days straight and then waiting a week, worming once and then going to every 30 days for a while. Even the extremely wormy ones have not had problems with this system. Maybe this could be tried??????

I believe it was a donation of Iver-Eaze or something like that. Not sure how many tubes though it will be on it's way if something actually gets resolved here.

I'm curious - some folks are talking as though this man has already been found to have something "wrong" with him? Is that the case? Or are we just making this jump because he is older? If that is the case I think some folks might find that in itself a little offensive. Not trying to add fuel to what is already a fire here - just curious if something more has been learned already?

These poor minis have been in my mind all day. I think of my animals very much like they are my children - they depend on me for just about everything, just like children would. If we saw a family of kids looking like this - I don't think we'd be looking to make any sort of excuses or exceptions for the parent. We'd probably do the same things some of us are doing here - expressing sorrow and indignation over the situation AND offering to help in any way we could. I can't find much fault in those folks who have reacted in that way over this scenario.

We all just want those minis saved!

Nope i don't know anything. Just rambled on with my thoughts i guess instead of facts.

Terrible thing for those animals.

Nope i don't know anything. Just rambled on with my thoughts i guess instead of facts.

Terrible thing for those animals.

Betty I wasn't referring to just you - I honestly thought from a couple of previous posts that maybe some more information was being circulated about the health of the guy. Don't get me wrong, if the man needs help I hope he gets it - but I won't lie that I want those horses helped first - some look to be at death's door!

All I can say is Wow. :no:

I know this has nothing to do with this issue but let me tell you a little story. And I do not want to hear flames.

Kitty and others are right...things can happen in a blink of an eye.

When I was hurt last Dec...I was gone for 17days....if I did not have my son & husband to feed and care for my animals here....what do you think would happen? I care and love my animals very much.

I was basically unable to call anyone for 6 days. Even then.. I had no way to get in touch with the people I have met here and barely know. I do not know if they would even help.

Would you all...of went on the war path against me because what happened, if I did not have the help I did?

Would you judge me...all kinds of nasty and evil because I was hurt?

Here's another... the original owner of the Fjord mare I had..suddenly died. Husband refused to even look at her horses. Only reason they found new homes and did not starve to death..was because one of her friends did not judge..and went and got the horses.

I was lucky..I had help but many people don't. I refuse to get aggressive and judge. I will not pass judgement with out all the facts.

It is better to go in person with a Vet or 2 and see what is really going on. Railing about a person you do not know, have not seen in person and have no idea what is going on, is wrong.

I say this because something like this could of happened to me. Anyone of you could get hurt in a blink of an eye...and have the world change. How would you like it if people turned on you? Instead of people helping you until you got back on your feet or help find good homes for your horses...they desided to be a linch mob?

If no one noticed you were not around, no one would of known you needed help....for me here..none did.

Yes,, there are truely bad people in the world....but get all of the facts...in person. Then help the horses without judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any one at all talked with Vern to know if he is healthy enough to have been taking care of his horses or not? What troubles me, if it is true, is why he was doing more breeding with already having so many to tend to. When you truly love something, it is not a loving thing to have more than a person can take care of. Any person in their right mind doesn't need aprox. 100 horses to love, in fact it is loving to have only a few of something that requires a lot of care. I don't want to judge the guy but I know I can't get the sight of those horses out of my mind and how they could have come to be so wasted away if somebody really loved them. Praying that they will soon be rescued and we find out what is wrong with them if it isn't a matter of not being fed. Of course we are frustrated and angry to see animals in such horrible condition but from what is known the guy was aware that something was wrong but just didn't do anything about it. Please if anyone has more information, share it .....we really want to know if those horses are being tended to NOW. Mary

My post has nothing but conjecture to it. I do not know him personally nor have I talked to anyone about it. BUT... None of us know the full story as to how these horses got this way. I will say that anyone who puposely let horses get this way and does nothing about it has something wrong with them. It is not a normal thing that people do.

The only reason I brought up that there may be other health issues is that our family was effected by it severly. One can not realize how easy it is to not know about health issues until something like this happens in one's own family. Dementia does not have to be alzheimers to have it effect everyone and have an individual be neglectful of everything.

In this case, there were posts on this thread where people know Vern and knew that he gave good care to his horses in the past. That being the case, and those people saying it is not like him to let this happen tells me that there is something not right with the whole situation. And what ever it is, we should be more understanding and try to help the horses instead of bash him.

So my thoughts are that we should not judge. Things happen and until we know for sure why, then we are wrong to blankly judge him and to be so verbally bashing when in all reality there is more to the story that none of us knows because we are not directly involved with Vern and his horses.

I do agree with contacting people and getting help for the horses. But I just don't think that we have to verbally bash someone to get results.
default_wink.png
:

The only reason I brought up that there may be other health issues is that our family was effected by it severly. One can not realize how easy it is to not know about health issues until something like this happens in one's own family. Dementia does not have to be alzheimers to have it effect everyone and have an individual be neglectful of everything.

In this case, there were posts on this thread where people know Vern and knew that he gave good care to his horses in the past. That being the case, and those people saying it is not like him to let this happen tells me that there is something not right with the whole situation. And what ever it is, we should be more understanding and try to help the horses instead of bash him.

I do agree with contacting people and getting help for the horses. But I just don't think that we have to verbally bash someone to get results.
default_wink.png
:
I rephrase my statement*my grandmother had dementia at home and later evolved into full alzheimer's*.

Thank you SunQuest for stating there is a difference in the level of the illness and it doesn't take much to cause a change in a person(s) life.

default_rolleyes.gif
: To All~you can email Shannon @ [email protected] if you have some assistance you can offer. She is compiling a list to have ready if/when the help is needed.

Great post SunQuest!! :aktion033: It continues to amaze me how some members on this forum can be so thoughtless.
default_sad.png
They judge others before they even know their situation or circumstances. There's a funny thing about emails and forums...sometimes we can "get away" with saying things that we would never say to someone's face. In this particular case, we have a topic started to help horses in need. Now we have members making judgments on a person...when they've never met them...and they have no clue about the circumstances surrounding the case. I agree with the last several posters...there could be all kinds of reasons for what has happened. Some of the posts have gone beyond opinions...and a good topic has again gone amuck. We've lost sight of the goal. The horses just need help.

SunQuest, I agree with you with you 100%! I just cringe when I see all the bashing that goes on on this forum with out all the facts being known.

The horses and their owner need help! Hopefully it is on the way. God Bless the poor little horses. :no: Sheila

D & D Farrier Service is on stand by if needed

i now have found another mini farrier that was hiding in the woods by Seminole having just came out of the oil fields and has now joined us. He is a great corrective farrier.

Let me know if our services are needed

i agree with the other posts about jumping to conclusions i am a rescue and sanctuary for any animal and have been critized in the past.

dawn

So PLEASE until the whole story is told PLEASE do not judge. Age bears no meaning on dementia or a number of other problems. I know people in their 90's in better shape than you or I and people in their 50's that dementia has destroyed their quality of life and they don't recognize anyone. It may not even be health related but to judge a person before this whole story is told is unfair to him or anyone. In my younger days I would judge immediately and with age and life experiences have learned that to wait for the whole story saves me alot of embarassment, pain and emotions. Don't get me wrong I still overact to somethings and am working on that and I fear for the safety and well being of the horses and any animal that may need assistance. Ask Rick about that
default_smile.png
We have had our share of different rescue cases over the years.

We would be more than willing to foster a few horses and if transportation is needed. Add our names to the list.

Your not telling me anything. I have a 81 year old great uncle that just bought a motor cycle for the first time in his life. All because of some lady in the nursing home told him she was into guys who rode them. It scares the crap out of me to see him trying to ride that thing but he is so head strong. What can you do? He ran thru a crossing gaurd the other day.( thank God he was in my deads truck) Says it fell out of the sky. Never mind the train that was coming. Which he says there wasn't one.

If anyone took his horses they should have took the ones that needed care.

At this point, it really doesn't matter how the horses got into this condition or what condition their owner is in. What matters is helping the horses back to health. If the current owner can't manage that on his own, he needs help to do so and maybe that means taking the horses from him so they can continue to be given the care they need. Not knocking him at all, as so many have already said, this could happen to any of us at any time with no forewarning. We need to keep our focus on helping the horses in whatever way we can.

Are there any updates on the sheriff or vet visiting him? Did that happen yesterday and are we on the way to getting the horses the help they need?

I agree with everyone that stated that we should not judge. If you have never taken care of an elderly person you have no idea how set in their ways they can be.

It continues to floor me that some people on this forum continue to only positive negative.

This is a thread to help the horses - not to past judgement.

I live in SC and if I lived closer I would be take as many of the horses as I could.

If this is going to be a place where people can come together and help each other and help a person in need and save the lives of any animal - then we need to stop all the flaming and grow up - remember "For the grace of God = Go I"

Millie

Anxiously awaiting an update. Hopefully the vet was there and we'll hear something soon.
I am with you on this on AppyLover2. I am just waiting to hear what is required of us on this forum to help. Hopefully this forum's negative comments have not scared away any followup on this. I can't foster any unfortunately, but I am planning on trying to help in other ways if required.

I sincerely hope that the horses are rescued and also that this older gentlemen gets some medical help also. How sad that there was no one close to him to help him as he got older.

This might be a good reminded for all of us that have older neighbors etc., that are involved with horses or any animals as far as that is concerned. We need to check in with them and offer assistance when it is needed on a regular schedule. In this case it possibly would have saved these horses from neglect and the older man from being alone and maybe fearful.
Very well said and an excellent reminder for us all. Too many of us go through life living in our own little bubble, or get caught up with our everyday routine, forgetting that there are others out there who may be forgotten. This can make a snowball effect, which is a possibility of what might have gone wrong in this case. All it takes is a little bit of time to check.

When was it discovered that Vern needs medical help and there was no one around to help him? ?Sorry to hear that was the problem with the horses being neglected so badly! Or is this an assumption that he needs medical help?

I sincerely hope that the horses are rescued and also that this older gentlemen gets some medical help also. How sad that there was no one close to him to help him as he got older. ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back