6 mos old filly making strange sounds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendi leigh

Reaction score
When I fed her tonight I noticed that the mouth was still going non-stop even though the feed is gone, it seems like she is grinding her teeth. That alone wouldn't worry me so much, but she has also snorting, kinda beathing with a rasp. I don't see anything in her mouth as far as I can get my hand in. Never seen this before and just think it is odd. Before I call the vet in the middle of the night, anybody have any ideas.

Thanks.

She may have aspirated some of her feed... or have some stuck. Any discharge out her nose? Any sign of choke? Is she actually grinding her teeth or does it just look that way? Actual teeth grinding sounds grating and squeaky - and can be a sign of pain. Jawing back and forth as opposed to actual grinding may mean something is stuck - or when she aspirated/choked she got a bit of a "sore throat" for want of a better term...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tagalong for the quick info. I think you hit it dead on. It seems to have worked its way through and she's happily eating hay with no snorting going on now. Some grain must have gone down the wrong way.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back