5 mos old with locked stifle.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Ok guys need some experiences from you that have seen this before.

I bought a filly a while back, she was weaned over the past several weeks and will be coming home soon. The previous owner told me that when he went out this morning, one stifle was locked. He said that she has never had any problems before and that is probably just an injury that will go away in about a week from playing and that he has seen that happen from playing before with others in the past.

Have any of you had this before, do they get completely better with out any problems in the future? I'm a bit concerned that she may have problems in the future or may pass it to any future foals?
unsure.gif

Thanks everyone.

I personally would never buy a mini, however young as it may be, that would be intended for breeding, with locking stifle problems.. Yes it could go away in time , but it is a gamble.. Minis in general,seem to have this problem more prevelent than other types of horses, I have noticed, and it does pass itself on.. Certain crosses produce it more than others. Although this one may outgrow it , I have seen other youngsters just get worse with time although they were given the benifit of th doubt and proper treatment. Can you wait it out before you commit to taking her?

I have spent the last twenty five years specifically avoiding this problem!!! There is NO way I would entertain an animal that had exhibited it and I am afraid I do not "buy" the old, "s/he'll grow out of it" line, either. If it's there, it's there and is in the conformation. Which means it could throw it. Now, if it really were an injury- that is a whole different ball game entirely- they can recover form that and never have any more problems or, more seriously, they can continue to exhibit some symptoms but never pass it on. I am afraid at 5 months I would not have expected to have seen it before anyway, and I hope you have a good agreement and a good relationship with the seller!!

This filly has been paid for, for a while now. I was waiting for her to be weaned and then I was having her picked up.

The stifle problem just showed today when the person I bought her from was out feeding this morning. He thinks she just got hurt while playing and in a weeks time thinks she will be fine.

Her back leg was locked up when they went out to feed.

But I'm wondering, if she could have a lasting effect from this.

Like others have said she may out grow it... My filly did lock as a youngster once in a great while.. But then as she got older I never saw her lock up
aktion033.gif
So this one might be the same...Lets hope so..

Firefall said:
This filly has been paid for, for a while now. I was waiting for her to be weaned and then I was having her picked up.The stifle problem just showed today when the person I bought her from was out feeding this morning. He thinks she just got hurt while playing and in a weeks time  thinks she will be fine.

Her back leg was locked up when they went out to feed.

But I'm wondering, if she could have a lasting effect from this.

476971[/snapback]

IF it was injury related, time will tell, but most of those seem to resolve themselves. I tend to be "genetic suspecting" on most stifle problems though. If you can look at the hoofs, of this filly, most genetic stifle problems have very little natural slant to the hoof angle as well. They allmost seem to be standing up on their toes, because of the lack of angle.

You really should work out now what the way forward will be if she does not come right. If you take delivery of her it is very unlikely that the seller, unless they are stupid like me- will actually see you right in a couple of years time. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is why I NEVER pay for, nor ask for full payment, of anything until it is ready for delivery.

Well i will be the odd duck here and say it can certainly be from growing very fast in a short period of time. I have spoken in depth with vets over stifle issues. Now on a even yearling or 2 yr old i would feel different but on a baby IF she has grown very fast like a couple of in. in a couple of months i might not be so concerned

If possible, discuss the various "options" now with the seller - If they are reputable sellers and dedicated to customer service, since this condition has occurred prior to you taking possession, ideally they will warrant that it is not "genetic" and is in fact an injury or perhaps as a result of a growth spurt. Make sure you obtain everything in writing. Another option would be to substitute another foal for this foal or to request a farm credit.

If you are purchasing this horse as a breeding animal, my personal experience has been that a locking stifle (unless due to an injury or perhaps an unusual growth spurt)is in fact genetic based and should be avoided. I would not personally under any circumstances take possession of this foal until the stifle is no longer locking.

Good luck

Getitia said:
If possible, discuss the various "options" now with the seller - If they are reputable  sellers and dedicated to customer service, since this condition has occurred prior to you taking possession, ideally they will warrant that it is not "genetic" and is in fact an injury or perhaps as a result of a growth spurt.  Make sure you obtain everything in writing.  Another option would be to substitute another foal for this foal or to request a farm credit.
If you are purchasing this horse as a breeding animal,  my personal experience has been that a locking stifle (unless due to an injury or perhaps an unusual growth spurt)is in fact genetic based and should be avoided.  I would not personally under any circumstances take possession of this foal until the stifle is no longer locking.

Good luck

477103[/snapback]

I totally agree with Getitia's whole post.

MA

We bought a 2 year old colt last year who when he got of the truck was fine but the next day he was dragging the left rear leg and locking. l called the breeder she said she never saw him do that and he must have been injured in transport. As it turns out he has been that way since very young but they had been giving him some relaxer or something for it and when he was here he got nothing and darned if both hinds weren't locking and pretty bad. Took him to the vets they said she could cut him but not to use him for breeding most likely it was a passed on condition. Lots of emails to others that knew the farm and there horses and this guys sire and even a person that had bought him and returned him for that same reason and yes it was stifle and he always had it. So for around here l know people lie like dirty beggers when they can. Not to say this is the case with you but if it was me l'd want to keep the weaner at the sellers till the problem passed before bringing him home and if it doesn't correct you'll find out soon enough most sellers want them gone as soon as possible. JMHO

mountain_waif said:
When it first happened, I was told to walk her up and down hills.  At two, my vet told me to longe her in a round pen, but I don't think that is a good idea with one as young as yours.  But walking up and down hills strenthens the muscles and most of the time they do outgrow it. 
476927[/snapback]

I have been heard that circles does not help the stifles.

Walking straight & hills is the best treatment - do a google search I am pretty sure quite a few websites will back this up.

stacy

I have a gelding who is 4 that has been locking up on and off since he was 10 months old. At the time we were told he feel while out in pasture but sonce it didi not go away I am sure it is genetic. Some days are worse for him then other. Equine massage helped him for awhile but it was short term.

We were told to walk him up and down hills also and not to lunge in a circle or even turn him in a tight circle. We have a farrier that is working with us by trimming his feet a little different. Yours is too little but we were also told to get him driving ASAP.

Our vet has told us to avoid the surgery if at all possible. But some days I feel so bad for him as both legs lock and it is hard for him to get his balance when I first bring him out of his stall. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and once he is turned out he runs, bucks and plays.

He isn't driving yet but I am working on it. We had owned our guy for a few months before it showed up and loved him so much we couldn't have given him back to the breeder for anything.

Good luck with your little one.

Debby

Seller is refunding my money!!!!!!!! YEA!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif

What a great guy! He was very nice and understanding!

I'm so relieved.
yes.gif

Thank you all!

That is great news...
aktion033.gif

Firefall said:
Seller is refunding my money!!!!!!!!  YEA!!!!!!!   
aktion033.gif

What a great guy! He was very nice and understanding!

I'm so relieved. 
yes.gif

Thank you all!

477513[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back