42 yr. old mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Regarding a local ad on CL

42 yr. old mare in foal. Great mother and was just taught to drive last yr.

Now, I am in no way attempting to flame this person but is that really too old to be still breeding a mare? IMO if your horse is still healthy and happy at 42.....just leave her alone and luv on her...if shes always been a good Mom and loves the babies let her be a babysitter during weaning time. I admit Im a newbie at this breeding thing but 42 just seems too old to me but maybe Im wrong.

When do you decide its "no more babies for you girl"

Is it age, health,

There is a photo of this mare on the ad and she really is a nice looking little mare ( especially if its a recent picture)but I hardly doubt that this foal will be making a huge difference in the miniature horse gene pool.

I also wonder about training a horse to drive at 42 but I wont get into that.

Thanks for your opinions/thoughts

I would say it is a typo as well, they most likely meant to type 12, not 42.

Thats what I thought to but she has 2 ads...on is on another site...so I called her...yup 42! She doesnt even say the age but on both ads it says DOB

Regarding a local ad on CL

42 yr. old mare in foal. Great mother and was just taught to drive last yr.

Now, I am in no way attempting to flame this person but is that really too old to be still breeding a mare? IMO if your horse is still healthy and happy at 42.....just leave her alone and luv on her...if shes always been a good Mom and loves the babies let her be a babysitter during weaning time. I admit Im a newbie at this breeding thing but 42 just seems too old to me but maybe Im wrong.

When do you decide its "no more babies for you girl"

Is it age, health,

There is a photo of this mare on the ad and she really is a nice looking little mare ( especially if its a recent picture)but I hardly doubt that this foal will be making a huge difference in the miniature horse gene pool.

I also wonder about training a horse to drive at 42 but I wont get into that.

Thanks for your opinions/thoughts
This absolutely cannot be a 42 year old mare. It is very rare for a horse to reach that age....and if they did, they certainly would be in NO shape to conceive, let alone be carrying a foal. And teaching a horse to drive at that age....that's just rediculous.
default_wacko.png

Someone is simply naive & doesn't know much about horses or the true age of the horse.... or trying to pull a trick on people.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the ad she is referring to...according to the ad her name is "Star Lakes Summertime Belle" if someone wants to look her up.

Maybe this is some sort of scam/fake ad. If you google the name is comes up with a mare that is for sale, but is a 2002 mare, obviously the one that came up in the stud book. Weird
default_wacko.png

The ad links back to the owners website which lists the mares dob as 5/6/2002.

I would say 42 is to old to be breeding if that actually her age. I havent heard of many getting to that age. I know a friend of mine has my old gelding and he is 32 now and still doing good and he is a good babysitter for a young kid but they dont do much with him his age is starting to show now.

First I want to say THANK YOU to LindaL and Barbie...the only ones that actually let me know my typo was out there! And to the others that sent me nasty emails, I sure hope you never make a mistake! I don't even remember it asking for a date of birth so it must be a default setting. Anyway, NO Belle is NOT 42 and I actually prefer NOT to sell her! She probably won't be now as this must be a sign to keep her as she is a pretty fun mare!

Aaahhh, Kim, we all thought it was a typo.
default_smile.png

Wish I could take as many years off my age that easily!

Charlotte

Thats what I thought to but she has 2 ads...on is on another site...so I called her...yup 42! She doesnt even say the age but on both ads it says DOB

hmmmm, I do not remember taking that call!? LOL, no wonder I haven't got any calls though, ROFLMAO!!

Kim if that mare is 42 I would like a bunch of them... lol

this just shows you how somebody can read something and bash someone eles with out the details..

which was wrong

thank you for coming on here and telling like it is all she would of had to do was look at your website

Gosh, Im not sure how to respond...in no way was I attempting to bash anyone. I would not have posted info that I had not checked out 1st. I did call the # on the ad...it was a co. something called Legacy I believe. Transfered to a gentleman who said he was not the owner but told me the ad was correct.I did not ask any other ??s b/c he was not the owner. I did not look at the web site...my error...hindsight certainly tells me I should have.

There are so few horse owners in and around my area that actually respect and are knowledgeable about minis.A whole lot more knowledgeable than myself....obviously!! In no way do I want to alienate myself from people that understand minis and who could possiblly help me learn.

I should have gone with my first thought....its a typo...I should not have taken someone elses word that was not the owner to begin with.

I am sorry to read that you recieved nasty emails.

Kim, I believe it may be your brother Simon that used to be my farrier...Im attempting to track his # down to see if I can call and give you a jingle ( tried the # on your site and get strange options )....I need to apologize to you in a more civilized way than on an open forum. Again, Im sorry to you and anyone else on the forum that thought I was attempting to flame or stir up trouble.

Heidi

Heidi, Big person apologizes in public
default_aktion033.gif
even when no harm was intended.

You go girl.

That's the problem with communicating on the internet...words just roll off our fingers before we have time to really think about how they might sound to others. Been there, done that and trying not to do it again.
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

Bravo to both of you for keeping it civil. We need more of that in this world.

And yes, it would be nice to think our broodmares could live to 42 and be healthy enough to still get in foal. I've got some almost into their twenties that are doing well and having lovely healthy babies. So far so good
default_smile.png
In the mini book by Barbara N. there is a mini mare that is 40 and it states that she has a foal every year of her life until she was 36, WOW, that is some mare. She still looked good in her old age too. Not the norm though, I'm thinking.

Back