4 week old colt dropping and mounting the mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I've never had one this young do this before.
new_shocked.gif
I'm just stunned. I've had them play mount other babies and even adult horses, but this is different. He is dropping and ready (if you know what I mean) and sniffing specifically the mares that are cyclying! Do I need to keep him away from them? Is there really a danger of a month old colt doing the deed?
new_shocked.gif
I know that sometimes a yearling can and will breed mares, but this is just weird. To my knowledge he can't actually reach any of them, but geez this is just creepy.
unsure.gif

Thoughts?

Yep, some of the boys are just precocious...I've had very young ones do that as well but I don't think there is really a danger of them actually getting a mare bred at that tender age. They are great for letting you know when mares come in heat though LOL.

Jan

I don't think it's common, but a few of them do it. I had one several years ago that was the same way. Silly little thing, he sure would have done the deed if he could have reached. There was not a chance that he could reach, and I don't believe that a month old colt would ever be fertile. I'd be very surprised if he were fertile. As I recall our boy kind of outgrew it--he was little stud boy for awhile, then kind of gave it up for awhile. He stayed in with the mares until he was about 8 months old--at that point he began showing some interest again so was then separated.

I don't speculate that there's anything to be concerned with. I've had SEVERAL colts that were dropped when they foaled out and it never really presented any problem other than the normal BOYS will be BOYS mentality.

Parmela, I saw your response on the other topic.

Yep, I've had SEVERAL of them strutting around here sniffing and trying to mount the mares. The mares usually take care of it themselves. I don't usually worry about it other than watching to make certain that they don't get hurt. Our little cremello stud "Fury" was actually one of the worst. He was ready to breed anything and everything from the moment he foaled and he hasn't changed.

When he was about three weeks old I noticed that he started separating himself off from his dam and the herd when I'd let them out to graze the property. It looked like he was watching over the mares just like a stallion. He also never socialized with any of the other foals.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a colt once that was just a real brat. He would come up and rear at you. Try to strike you and was just was out of control. He was just evil. We thought we'd teach him a lesson and we weaned him at 2 1/2 months because he was so out of control. It didn't even faze him. He would beat up his mother and the other foals and felt if he didn't hurt someone else he would surely get hurt fooling around. Anyway he was gelded at 5 months old and then turned out with the yearlings ("to teach him some manners the farm manager said") Well he ruled the roost. He showed a real promising racing career, and was tragicaly killed in a barn fire. He was one tough cookie.

Don't get yourself hurt and let him turn his behaviors on to you. It could be come a real dangerous situation when he gets older.

This is the first year for me to have such a "studly" colt also.
default_wink.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png

I wondered if it was because of his dam being a maiden mare and not knowing how to dicipline the studly like behavior.

I call him the "Little Pest", as he is always pestering everyone in the pasture.
default_wacko.png

I've got 2 of those now. Follow the in heat mares around the pasture trying to 'breed' them.
default_rolleyes.gif
I agree with Jan. They do let you know when the mares are in heat!
default_smile.png

We had one like this last year that happened to be by a very studdy stud to begin with. He would drop and try to mount, herd the mares around, and even run the fence line if a new horse was put in the empty pasture next door. He got so confident and aggressive that he'd even try to pick fights with geldings. We gelded him by the time he was 3 months because it was obvious he was going to be a handful.

When he was about three weeks old I noticed that he started separating himself off from his dam and the herd when I'd let them out to graze the property. It looked like he was watching over the mares just like a stallion. He also never socialized with any of the other foals.
Kimberle I had one like this a few years ago - I worked a couple of geldings on the golf cart in their pasture and he would charge them & follow us around & around, protecting his little herd from what he saw as a threat.
default_smile.png
He was like that until his yearling year and for some reason just didn't thrive - he was puny & wouldn't hold weight, so he lost his attitude. He is now a healthy and well socialized 3 yr old gelding lol.

Jan

It's very common on our farm! We have two baby boys that 'let you know which mares are in heat!' LOL No worries.

Pam

Kimberle I had one like this a few years ago - I worked a couple of geldings on the golf cart in their pasture and he would charge them & follow us around & around, protecting his little herd from what he saw as a threat.
smile.gif
He was like that until his yearling year and for some reason just didn't thrive - he was puny & wouldn't hold weight, so he lost his attitude. He is now a healthy and well socialized 3 yr old gelding lol.

Jan

No ATTITUDE lost here and NO gelding for "Fury". He now has his own band of mares this season....

Thanks for all the responses.

At this point the only "bad" behavior is the landing gear being down and him trying to mount, plus a little sniffing here and there. Oddly enough, to me he's a total sweetie.
wub.gif
Follows me around wanting scratches, total love bug and not at all afraid of people or new things. No striking or kicking or herding of the mares - yet. But I'll keep an eye on that. I've just never had one (going to be graphic here) get an erection at such a young age before. All the mounting I'd seen up until now was just play behavior. This little guy (and I do mean little - he's my tiniest foal this year) actually has mature, experienced mares following HIM around and standing in front of him an peeing all over the place.
new_shocked.gif
Hussies!
laugh.gif

He's probably the only foal from this year I'm going to keep - figures I'd fall in love with the "problem" child.

I had one like that three years ago. He was acting just like a stallion, dropping and trying to mount the mares, squealing at them, prancing around,attacking and kicking at other colts. I put him and his dam in with his sire and Mime straighten him out. He tried to bite, kick Mime
default_smile.png
I named him Muchacho Malo. I still have him, he is grogeous and still the stud, but much better behaved now. I do not turn my back on him though as he did the year later become more than an handful and wouild not submit to me either. He did finally......but with a lot of work and discipline.

Beth

Well that's a first for me, I know it's common for them to go through all the motions I've had precocious colts before too...most walk on 2 legs behind anything they can get on! but not one that young with an actual erection..never had that problem.

PS Beth I LOVE that name Muchacho Malo!

We had the same EXACT thing LAST YEAR, we were shocked!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
But weren't worried because there was no way they would let him do anything...But he was HORRIBLE....ITS AMAZING HOW FAST THESE KIDS MATURE THESE DAYS!!
default_laugh.png

So I am not alone! My six week old colt has been trying to have his way with his half sister who is 35 inches tall. He is wherever she is...unless he is going back to mom for milk. Boyzzzzzzzzz. He is a real sweet guy though.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back