4-H mini horse project books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been trying to get mini horses established as a project at our county fair.

I figure the starting point will be gettting a project book approved.

Well I have a mini horse book with seperate question booklets so the 1 ($25) book would be used for several years. The 4-H'ers would just do different sections each year. (thanks to help from Lorain County
default_smile.png
)

There is some concern of the cost($25) of the book. The ext. office feels some parents may not want to fork out that much. So I'm on a quest to find other options and ideas. When doing a google search I found another county here in Ohio that had mini booklets for thier county (Medina County) that were only $5 a year, which may go over better, so I'll be trying to get some contacts in Medina the first of next week, unless I luck out and find all I need thru here.

I would need project books I can copy or order for my 4-h'ers.

My county says we'll have to do them as self determined projects next year to prove interest but then the kids don't get any reference material.

I'm not sure how this will all pan out but I've been waiting to present it to the committee since last January. And I keep getting the run around so I want to have atleast 2 different project book options and go in totally ready hopefully with all the answers on how this can be done easily.

So please share your ideas or how your mini 4-H clubs handle the projects.

This year they took the regular saddle horse project but they had to learn parts of riding tack and things that had to do with riding (which is good to know) but most of this project book wasn't related to thier breed. The kids would enjoy the books more if it applied to thier individual project better.

If anyone reads this in Richland county and has interest in taking mini's as a 4-H project please let me know, I'm also taking a list of names who would take the mini project if it were available, I have about 15 names already and the more the better. I was told there had to be a minium of 4 exhibitors to even be considered, so my list will be very helpful in proving there is a interest. Currently, most of the mini people just show at the open pony show rather than doing 4-H, but they said they do 4-H if they make mini's a project. So I'm trying!

THanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I am from Erie County and I am the key leader of the mini project here. The minis are fairly new here to. They have been a project for 5 yrs. We use Mini Manual for New Owners 4th edition. It is $24.95 but what we do is every 4-h group has dues. Most of our clubs are $10 for each kid. That it used to pay for the books anything over comes out of the clubs own funds. This is voted on by the club members. The book works very well and we have different sections the kids read in the book and do projects on depending on their yr with minis. The book is expensive but it is a very good book to use. If you need anymore help on trying to get the minis as a project for your county let me know. I can try to give you some pointers. Also I the fair board is giving you the run around. Get the kids involved that want to take these minis. That usually helps a lot when they know that the kids are passionate about it.

Alisha

If I might ask where did you find a book with a project booklet. I would love to have one for the kids who come down and see the horses or when we are doing a petting thing at like TSC.

I'm not from Ohio but I am a 4H leader in NH and we have a mini group. Do you need help still? Also are you near Wilmington Ohio? I know of a girl out there that has a mini and is looking for a club.

I also sent you a PM

Karen

I started to make a project book for my own youth club in Florida. It has projects on everything from foaling to training to general care to conformation to showing. You can have it (I'd even finish it if you give me more info on what you are looking for). Email me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can help. I did project books evey year when I was in 4-H and they were a lot of fun.

THanks for all the replies.

I knew this would be a good place to ask
default_smile.png

I don't have time to reply, to each right now on on my way out to the other farm for the day, but I'll reply more later!

I'm excite to start this project esp. with all the great help thats being offered
default_smile.png

Thanks ,

Jayme

Alisha - I think thats the same book I have found, I believe I got the info. from a very helpful lady in Lorain county.

This is where I got the book - Mini Manual

http://www.smallhorse.com/eStores/BookStore/index.shtml

I pretty sure thats it, When I recieved it and the questionaires to go with it I turned it into the Ext. office to be reviewed, which was last feb. and I haven't seen it since. I plan on tracking it down this week.

TinyMiteVillage - I hope that Answered your question. YOu can't get the questionaire with the book but once I track mine down Ican send you a copy. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Jaxjag2000 - I'd loved to get more info. on your books - Thanks alot! I'll email you soon!

I think I returned PM's to the rest of you if not I will again, cuz I know i did reply but they don't show up in sent pm's so maybe i did something wrong?

Thanks to all!

Have to run again!

Jayme,

I called that Lady I told you about in the PM, she never makes up a project book ,,hmmm she does driving and obsticals with her 4-H kids, sorry I tried anyway.

Latest posts

Back