38 Minature horses rescued in MA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
The horses were only a few miles from my house. The news reports says some of them are in really bad shape. The VETERINARIAN THAT OWNED THEM turned them over so charges will not be pressed. Yes they were owned by a VET.

We used to look for the horses every time we drove by but have not seen any horses out in the fields for a few years, we thought they were gone. This is the same vet we turned in for abuse years ago when I saw two minatures he owned.

Last I had heard about him was about 5 years ago when a man saw our horses at an event and started to tell us about the wonder vet that was exporting his miniatures to China.

Makes me sick that nothing was done all those years ago when we along with others turned in complaints.

If this is a veterinarian who owned these horses this action needs to be reported to the American Association of Veterinarians and some kind of action needs to be taken to set an example of this man.His peers need to know just what kind of person he is.

Until someone else posts more information, i will share a bit of what I know. The first batch of minis was expected to arrive at the MSPCA at Nevins Farm in Methuen, MA yesterday (Thursday) where they will be evaluated. I hope it is OK to add this: If you want to help out, they are accepting donations.

You may send checks direct to MSPCA at Nevins Farm www.mspca.org/adoption/methuen-nevins/

Make sure to note your donation is for the minis.

Years ago this vet also had an office in NYC. He had a least one mini at that office. I remember pictures of his mini or minis in NYC with ???? a famous model actress. I do not remember the name.

Google vet neglecting horses and see what comes up. It will make you quite angry. Sadly, this isn't the fisrt instance I've heard of vets owning and neglecting their own animals.

Urgh...
default_sad.png

I believe that my family is going to take in one of the minis. It's so sad
default_no.gif

Sarah - Please check out the situation very carefully first. I know they need homes for the minis, but you need to make sure you are not exposing your own minis to disease. Yes, it is very sad and they really do need homes and help.

This just frustrates
default_frusty.gif
me so much. If you can't take care of them then you shouldn't own them. They deserve better.

WTH??? To think that a VET could do this to horses-- just sickening!!

I have received and update and am sharing part of it here so forum readers can help:

Because there are two rescue organizations involved (MSPCA and Animal Rescue League of Boston) the numbers seem to understandably fluctuate. But, there is an approximate total of 36, some of which are ponies and not minis, and all are ‘supposed’ to be mares and geldings. We have heard that a number of them are currently at Tufts for hospitalization due to the seriousness of their condition.

They report that these horses – the minis more than the ponies- are practically feral. Just plain scared. They were able to halter and handle only 3, but will continue with these efforts.

In the coming week, MSPCA will use a ‘chute’ to ID (sex and age) and check condition more carefully. They will need tranq. just to have a farrier work on their feet. There have been fecal egg counts reported of more than 1700..........!! Worming a horse that overloaded with internal parasites can cause colic and even death, so this is very serious.

Here is what you can do ~~

If you are willing/ able to provide foster care: It will be a good two weeks before any of the horses can be released from Nevins. These animals will require slow and careful care and rehab for many months at the very least. So, once again, do your homework, and consider carefully what you are willing to take on, and know that you will be interviewed in depth by more than one organization. These little guys definitely need and deserve caring and knowledgeable homes.

DONATIONS – WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

BY BOTH MSPCA http://www.mspca.org/adoption/methuen-nevins/equine-farm-center/

AND ARL http://home.arlboston.org/

Any one adopting or fostering these horses should search the web and read the other articles regarding this vet. Not the ones related to this abuse.

Malden Brook Farm is the same or adjoining farm to the one with the mini's. It is more like several old farms joined together.

American Veterinary Medical Foundations, Inc.

29 Prospect Street

West Boylston, MA 01583

www.vetfrontiers.org

Dr. Robert Tashjian

Phone number and email removed

Rare Horses in EIA/HIV Research Rescued from

Dangerous 4,500-Mile Journey

Herd Is Key to Vital Research Program on

Equine Infectious Anemia

Implications for AIDS Research

West Boylston, MA – August 15, 2011 – For several decades, West Boylston’s historic,

idyllic Malden Brook Farm has been home to generations of a truly irreplaceable herd of

horses. Numbering 45 animals today, these horses are part of the Western Hemisphere’s

most important research on Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA), which is similar to Human

Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), the causative agent of AIDS.

Dr. Robert Tashjian is a local veterinarian and scientist with over 40 years of veterinary

experience. He is also one of America’s foremost authorities on EIA. Through the

modest resources of America Veterinary Medical Frontiers, Inc., which he founded in

1995 and leads today, Tashjian has quietly but effectively overseen the EIA research

program.

The implications of AVMF’s EIA research go far beyond equine health. On the molecular

and clinical levels, EIA is very similar to HIV. Consequently the AVMF research on EIA

may have profound implications for AIDS research.

Recently, however, the viability of this far-reaching research has been threatened

because of financial pressure to keep the program afloat. So scientists in Nicaragua have

offered to continue studies of the herd in that country with AVMF, rather than see this

vital research end if underfunding puts AVMF out of operation. Countries such as

Nicaragua, where horses far outnumber tractors and other motorized farm implements,

understand implicitly the vital role of the AVMF herd for developing ways to fight the EIA

virus.

“The herd has never been confined to horse trucks nearly as long as the trip to

Nicaragua – about 4,500 miles – would take,” Tashjian observed. “Many of them could

well succumb to the stress of the journey along the way. If this happens, our research

will suffer a terrible blow, and millions of horses everywhere would be more susceptible

to perishing from EIA. AIDS research could suffer as well.”

Fortunately, Dr. Tashjian has decided against moving the herd to Nicaragua for now,

and instead try to raise the funds necessary to save the research program before it’s too

~ more ~

late. “Malden Brook Farm provides a research environment unlike any other in the U.S.,”

Tashjian said. “Our free-range, natural surroundings enable the herd to live ‘socially,’

which is an ideal arrangement for studying EIA.”

This environment, too, is threatened by state and federal “test and destroy” regulations,

which restrict EIA-positive horses to live in quarantine and then inhumanely be put to

death. Currently, no EIA-positive horses reside at Malden Brook.

Recent EIA Breakthrough at Malden Brook

According to Gregory R. Ciottone, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine and chair of the

Disaster Medicine Section at Harvard Medical School, “Through his cutting-edge research

over the past 40 years, Dr. Tashjian has become one of a very few internationally

recognized experts in EIA. His collaborative work has led to a number of breakthroughs

in the understanding of this lethal retrovirus. The culmination of this research is the idea

that a vaccine for EIA, similar in structure and action to human HIV, may be possible.”

In late 2010, AVMF announced a breakthrough in the field of retroviral research with

confirmation of a successfully bred horse with natural immunity to EIA. This

advancement adds significantly to the understanding of retroviruses, and may have

implications for the understanding of HIV.

Lentiviruses, a class of retroviruses, damage the immune system of horses (EIA),

simians (SIV) and humans (HIV). In the 1970s, Dr. Tashjian observed that an EIApositive

herd of horses lived side-by-side with EIA-negative horses, without a statistical

increase in mortality among the negative horses.

Dr. Tashjian brought a small herd of seemingly EIA-resistant horses to West Boylston

and started a breeding program. The intent was to amplify and document the natural

immunity that he had observed anecdotally decades before. That natural immunity had

recently been confirmed when “Nora” tested negative for EIA despite significant

exposure to the virus.

Sadly, however, regulations promulgated by the Division of Animal Health of the

Massachusetts Division of Agricultural Resources doomed Nora to a cruel death out of

fear she could infect other horses. This in spite of the fact that Nora had lived at Malden

Brook Farm disease-free for the prior 10 years. She had been the first horse bred for

immunity to a retrovirus. So her demise is doubly unsettling, both scientifically and

ethically.

“We realize that we’re fighting an uphill battle to keep the research going,” Tashjian

said. “But for the sake of the animals and the possible good our EIA research may have

for AIDS research, we refuse to go down without a fight.”

AVMF is accepting financial donations to help rescue the remaining horses in the Malden

Brook herd and sustain the vital research Tashjian and his colleagues have undertaken

for so many years.

~ 30 ~

This was what i was afraid of... that this was the same person. i don't know all the details, but I do know more about EIA than many people, and it really scares me. In 1973, not too long after the Coggins test was developed, two of my horses happened to be temporarily boarded at a facility in Coventry CT where a horse died of EIA. I returned from vacation to find the remaining horses, including my 2, were under quarantine and subject to testing every few weeks. Any that tested positive were retested, and euthanized if the second test was positive. This continued for many weeks until no more horses tested positive. I believe it was 17 horses that died or were put down during that time. It was the most frightening horse experience I ever had. I was writing a Master Thesis in Pathobiology at the time, so I did more research on EIA which I included in my thesis. This was years before HIV was identified but there are other similar viruses, some of which I was studying.

This also explains why one of the first bits of info I read about the rescued minis was that they had negative Coggins tests. .......

The location and negative coggins on the minis had me wondering if it was the same vet doing the EIA testing or close to it.

I remember this info surfacing in late summer of last year. There were several ads on CL trying to home the horses as well as major concerns of EIA positive animals possibly going to new homes. There was an article written,I can't remember if there was a news clip or not, the vet was quite unorthodox in his line of research. Poor horses, sad enough for them to be guinea pigs, even sadder for them to be forced to live their lives in poor conditions and neglected.

I thought I recognised his name...

So, to this VET just leaving the horses to fend for themselves means they are living a "natural" life, and euthanising them is a "cruel" death??

Honestly how do these people get away with this rubbish and why has he not been struck off long ago?

A potentially good Vet I had experience with recently was nearly struck off for far far less than this- I would be inclined to hope that it was a mistake form which he learned a valuable lesson, rather than a hanging offence- but this man....UGH how many horses does he have to kill before he is, at least struck off??

Just handing the animals over (and there were only 38 or thereabouts- how many of us have over 20 and are coping quite adequately?) means he is not prosecuted- OK, I can actually see the logic in that as it encourages people to give animals up, but it should not stop him being thrown out of his profession for bringing it into disrepute, should it??

Latest posts

Back