#30 or 10# blade for AMHR halter horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Do you clip with a 10 or 30 blade for halter horses in AMHR classes? I am practicing my clipping!

We use a 15 on the body. Up to a 30 on legs depending on color. Use 30, 40 and 50 on faces. But for just a nice overall clip, 15.

Geez thanks - now I want to start clipping
default_biggrin.png
But with 2' of snow and temps below zero, probably not going to start this week. I'm jealous!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually do a #10, but a #15 sometimes on some horses looks better. I just think #30s are too close, even though "big trainers" often use them.

Andrea

We use 30's on most of the horses bodies for shows. Certain colors don't "respond" as well to a #30, we have a couple of the lighter colored horses that we have to be careful with when clipping or they turn pink.
default_wacko.png

Then their heads we blend, blend, blend with different sized blades.

Just keep practicing and they will turn out great!
default_aktion033.gif

Do you clip with a 10 or 30 blade for halter horses in AMHR classes? I am practicing my clipping!

I've been to clinics where they say that #30 all over is what is used. However, I personally, don't like a pinto clipped that close. All mine are pintos and I don't appreciate the pink skin look. I use 10 or 15 on the body and 30, 40, & 50 on the face and ears.

default_saludando.gif
Thanks..Working on head and necks and leaving the rest...I have several different colors..one I did turn pink with the 30 so I was wondering if he would do ok even if I did a ten...thanks for the help!

All clipping at home is usually with a 10. For local shows usually a 15 but at Nationals, when the muscles are great, their coat is awesome, everything is just right, 30's.

Anyone have any comparison pictures of a horse clipped with a 10 or 15, then the same horse clipped with a 30 for comparison?

Anyone have any comparison pictures of a horse clipped with a 10 or 15, then the same horse clipped with a 30 for comparison?
No pictures but I can tellyou that my stallion looks nice at around a 15 about 2 -3 days before a show so his color can darken up. The one time I had him clipped at a clinic they used a 30. He looked nice but the white areas were pink, however his butt felt as smooth as a baby's bottom --LOL

Im thinking about clipping in a 30 this year. Normally I clip in a 15 and use a 30 all over the head, then detail with a 40 and 50. His head is always a way different color than his body, and I dont like it. I dont really want to do his head in a 15, so im considering doing his body in a 30. I dont have much white to worry about, hes a solid. Of course, im not sure I want to buy a few 30's to find out I dont like it. ugh, decisions decisions.

If you use a #30 on the body be careful not to clipper burn, as it is irratating, especially on the white. I hate to see pink skin. This what I do, Several weeks before the first show I wait for a nice day, 65 or better, bath, dry and clip all over with a #7F or #8 1/2, do the head with a #10. It gets off most of the hair but leaves just a little in case it is still chilly at night, but I do blanket. My show horses are in the indoor now and the only thing clipped on them now is their necks so they can be sweated, and they are done with a #7F. Two weeks before the first show I will bath and clip all over #10 The day before we leave for the show rebath, reclip #10, use #30 on face blended into the neck and under the throat latch, #40 on the long part of the face blended, #50 on muzzle, around eyes, inside ears. That way when I do facial at the show on the day of their class they are already short. I also use #30 on the bridle path, blended into the neck. All white is powdered. All black on muzzel and inside ears, I use black bees wax then oil. No majic marker. I am jealous as it is still too cold here to clip and more snow tomorrow night.

I would highly suggest not to clip a pinto with a 30, a 15 is pushing it. I clip their bodies with a 10. And with a 30 I use it to help blend on the face and underneath their bellies and it also helps taking the little extra hairs off around the cornet band.

I will never body clip with a 30 on any horse.

I keep wondering why this trend keeps getting more and more extreme. Why is it that people think horses look better practically hairless?

I know to each their own but to me its not even attractive and it takes away all of the horses defenses against bugs etc.

15 is the closest we ever go on the body and only on solid colored horses never on a pinto.

But then again I dont take eyelashes off my show horses either LOL.
default_biggrin.png

Also just a tip for newer people be very careful clipping for outdoor shows. I cant believe how many do extreme clips then cover them in baby oil and then show outside in direct sun. Over the last couple years I cannot believe how many sunburned show horses I have seen.

Really the best thing to do is try different blades and see what you personally like the best. I normally clip the legs with a 30 blade, go up the back of the fetlock and cannon bone with a 50 just to keep it nice and neat. Remember any moving parts of the horse will grow out hair faster, for example the back of the knees, the base of the ears, etc.

The bodies a 15 blade. I believe a 15 blade shows the muscles off better than a 10 blade. I Think many roans and greys look good in a 30 on the body. Head with a 30, 40 and 50 blade blended well. This has worked really well for us. I normally clip 2 to 6 days prior to the show depending on the horses coat and color. I use a 7f on the V of the tail, it works beautifully and keeps that smooth and neat.

Remember after clipping a horse that they can sunburn very easily. Especially if there is white on the face, so try to keep your horse out of the bright sunlight and they will not turn red and burned in these areas.Work them early morning or late afternoon. Ive seen horses burned on their backs too from being clipped close and then just turned out in the sun, thats got to be painful to them.

We usually use a 10 on the body, 15 on the legs, and a 15, 30 and 40 or 50 on the head. I have used a 15 on the body a couple of times... depends on the horse.

Neither- in high summer I clip with a 15 on the body and 30 on the face/under the jaw/lower neck/belly area to sculpt and define. Then work up with a 40 and 50 on the eyes/muzzle area until I get the look I want for that individual horse. I've never been fond of razoring but would above the eyes except that it looks terrible on my silver buckskin halter horse!
default_laugh.png
His skin is cherry/pumpkin-colored when razored and oiled.
default_new_shocked.gif

I find a 15 doesn't seem to take off much more hair than the 10 but looks closer and neater, especially on my light-colored horse. I clip everyone with 10's until mid-June, blending into a 15 on those tighter body areas like the jaw and under the neck. I really don't like 30's and only use them when I have to clip pretty far ahead or they're growing hair like crazy. Otherwise I prefer the 15's. It's too easy to get gouge marks and uneven clipping with the 30's.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never body clip with a 30 on any horse.

I keep wondering why this trend keeps getting more and more extreme. Why is it that people think horses look better practically hairless?

I know to each their own but to me its not even attractive and it takes away all of the horses defenses against bugs etc.

15 is the closest we ever go on the body and only on solid colored horses never on a pinto.

But then again I dont take eyelashes off my show horses either LOL.
default_biggrin.png

Also just a tip for newer people be very careful clipping for outdoor shows. I cant believe how many do extreme clips then cover them in baby oil and then show outside in direct sun. Over the last couple years I cannot believe how many sunburned show horses I have seen.
Agree 100% with everything. It's HILARIOUS to me the amount of mini folks that claim their horse has "lacing" etc on their backs... When it's a simple case of SUNBRUN. The horse didn't have the "lacing/etc" before you started your crazy clip jobs... it's scarring from burns. I saw more-than-a-few from Nationals that had obvious burning... BLECH.

It really is a shame that we can't ask the horse what they would like! But if we could I'm sure they would say just get off enough hair to make me comfortable, and please don't skin me or take off so much that I sun burn or get clpper burned. I don't personally understand why the trainers want to skin the horses with a #30 blade? I hate pink skin, and if I get it when I clip I cover it with powder. Horses are meant to have hair for goodness sakes leave them some. If you want to show muscle then condition them more. I agree with leaving on the eye lashes, they protect the eyes, son't clip them off. I wish they would ban facials, I hate doing them and some people actully have knicks on the horse faces and then use majic marker to cover them up. Poor horses. all for show, and don't get me wrong I show, I just some times feel sorry for the horse.

Agree 100% with everything. It's HILARIOUS to me the amount of mini folks that claim their horse has "lacing" etc on their backs... When it's a simple case of SUNBRUN. The horse didn't have the "lacing/etc" before you started your crazy clip jobs... it's scarring from burns. I saw more-than-a-few from Nationals that had obvious burning... BLECH.
I have several horses with NATURAL lacing on their backs. Horses that were born here that are 12-14 years old and have NEVER been clipped in their lives. In MY horses, it is the ones that carry Sabino that also develope lacing. I doubt that the fact that other people clip their horses close gave my horses lacing.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back