2nd chemo done now and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
After another trip to ICU last week, and moving back to the Oncology ward Monday, Clyde got his 2nd chemo a week late, but was able to get it yesterday. He did well and today say he can come home! Woohoo!!

They have gotten a lot of the fluid caused by the tumors off his body and the cardiologist is still talking about how much they got from the sac around the heart alone- a whole liter! He said if Clyde was not so big (about 6'4" or so and a big guy) anyone else would have been dead, and good thing they drained it when they did- his heart would have just quit working from no room. The sac does not stretch.

He was swollen horribly from the armpits to his toes- so bad on his feet that the skin on one on top split open.

He was feeling pretty good yesterday, and is sure looking forward to leaving the hospital after SIX weeks!!

That is great news Laurie! I sure hope things continue to improve.

Carol

Thanks you for the update, I have been wondering how he was coming along. I'm happy for you and Clyde that he will finaly be home. Please let us know how things are going. Keeping you both in my prayers. Joyce

What wonderful news!!! I am so glad to hear he is making a little progress. Sending prayers he will continue to improve.
default_pray.gif

Thanks everyone... won't have access to any computer over the weekend, but it will be wonderful to spend a weekend with him at HOME, instead of in those lovely 'comfortable' hospital chairs!

I am so SOOO happy for both of you. Sounds like you have a really good hospital to help you. Thank goodness! Have a great weekend!!!!

Laurie I bet it will be great to have Clyde at home were you can spoil him. I bet he will be one happy guy to step foot in his home. So glad to hear he will have a break and you will not have to be running to the hospital. You get some rest keep up your health to be strong for Clyde. I know this must be very hard on you. I will keep you and Clyde in my prayers.

I will lite a candle for Clyde.

God bless

Laurie, glad to hear he is home... Have fun snuggling with your Big Teddy bear and getting some rest-both of you..

Sending prayers your way...

This is really good news! Continued prayers for your husband for a full recovery!!
default_pray.gif

Wow, it's been an ordeal, hasn't it! I hope this is the start to a complete recovery for him! Make sure to take care of yourself too, ok Laurie?

Laurie,,

I am soooo very happy for you and your hubby! Prayers continued from Art and I....Enjoy your weekend....Theresa

I am so happy for you guys he is going home. Sorry your going through all of this.

Just an update-

He did well with his chemo, and did come home Friday p.m.. What a difference in now and what he went through at the first hospital! He has not felt this good in months, despite being VERY weak, and getting tired very easily.

His appetite is good (Fred, we have been taking your advice on the nutrition!! Boy did I do a huge shopping and certainly made me aware of things I was eating too that I wont any more!) and it was a nice weekend! It was great to be in the comfort of home rather than in a hospital room! He was actually laughing and joking this weekend! Something I have not seen in a LONG time!

The fluid was drained from his heart sac and chest and the tube was in for EIGHT days (I understand normally its in for 24 to 48 hours) but the tumors are creating the fluid. He lost about 35 pounds in fluid alone so far! Since the cardiologists there did the procedure to 'restart' his heart- or as the Dr. put it, hit the 'reset' button, he is now even off his blood pressure meds!! Last summer he was on FIVE different meds, four times a day!

Now, we just have to concentrate on the cancer and taking it a day at a time. The worst trouble is going to get him NOT to cheat on his eating!

Due to the meds, he has to check his blood sugar 4 times a day and takes insulin when needed. This has certainly been an education for me too!

All your good thoughts are appreciated and are helping. It's a miracle that he has made it this far, with all the problems there were, but he is still here and fighting!

Laurie I am so glad to hear he is home. If you follow the book on nutrition the blood sugar will actually stabilize and he will lose weight. If he has to "cheat" there is a new ice cream out there called Decadent Delights and it has no dairy and you can't tell the difference from the real thing. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Love you, Linda

Thanks Linda! It has been a good week so far (ha, it's only Tuesday, but hey, we'll take anything we get at this time) but yesterday he bought what he thought was a juice drink and when his blood sugar was checked it was horrible! (Not to mention feeding the cancer!) I looked at the bottle he showed me- of course the first two ingredients was water and SUGAR! I dumped the rest down the sink and told him he can't do that!

He has never had to watch what he eats, nor does he pay attention to what is a carb, a protein, etc....

I could not believe how long it took me to grocery shop the other day because EVERYTHING has sugar in it, it seems. I had to read labels on every item I picked up! We have also switched to sea salt rather than regular table salt. Has more minerals in it that are needed and is processed completely different from table salt- and salt substitutes can be BAD depending on what type of health problems you have. We are learning as we go!

Really stocked up on all kinds of fresh veggies- and last night we discussed a garden to grow our own without the pesticides, etc... and have them handy- and it tastes SO much better anyhow!

Latest posts

Back