2023 crafting for all...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think I have committed myself to making 20 gourd buttons for a studio artist event sponsored by the National Button Society. I tried a dragonfly, lady bug, and wasp. Today I'm trying a bat and a lightening bug (with UV paint) to see which design I can replicate most easily. The theme is "Wings of Spring". I thought all 20 buttons had to be different, but found out they all have to be the same. Boring. But that's the rule. I've ordered Swarvarsky (sp?) crystals to use for the eyes.

Attachments

• march.jpg
    march.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure it's crafting, but it's a bit of creation of process. I adore doeskin gloves. I handle horses, ride and drive in them; I'll wear them all day! Unfortunately I'll go through a few pairs in a year because, although they have a great feel, they just don't last as long as I'd like. Well recently I came across a pair of goatskin gloves. They feel very similar but at less than half the cost. They are a light grey colour and I thought, if I can dye them brown, I can use them for driving. My partner has gotten into leather tooling so he had some dyes and sealant around. I set the gloves in my toaster oven on a low heat for a few minutes to open the grain, then sponged a good coat of dark dye onto them. Let them sit a few minutes while the dye soaked in and back into the toaster oven for another round. 2 coats of dye and then a coat of sealer and left them overnight to dry. The weather got colder and I put them away in my driving garment bag for a couple of months and forgot about them. When I remembered, I brought them out to try them and see how they go. Surprisingly marvelous! They are so comfortable to wear, a great feel and the dye isn't running or bleeding onto anything. I'm excited to try them in the summer.
Gloves.jpg

Your button designs are wonderful, Marsha, you sure have a lot of detail in a small space! I especially like the dragonfly on the speckled background.

I agree with you too, working twenty identical items can be tedious, but the final collection will look terrific.

Any idea why the show wants 20 identical buttons from each participant?

Well, I think I have committed myself to making 20 gourd buttons for a studio artist event sponsored by the National Button Society. I tried a dragonfly, lady bug, and wasp. Today I'm trying a bat and a lightening bug (with UV paint) to see which design I can replicate most easily. The theme is "Wings of Spring". I thought all 20 buttons had to be different, but found out they all have to be the same. Boring. But that's the rule. I've ordered Swarvarsky (sp?) crystals to use for the eyes.
I like the dragonfly best, then the ladybug.
Very nice.

Your button designs are wonderful, Marsha, you sure have a lot of detail in a small space! I especially like the dragonfly on the speckled background.

I agree with you too, working twenty identical items can be tedious, but the final collection will look terrific.

Any idea why the show wants 20 identical buttons from each participant?
Not sure why they want them all alike. Being studio artist buttons, one would think being different would be desirable.
Still experimenting with something I think I could replicate fairly consistently. All you who do creative things will know that nothing ever turns out exactly the same, even with a pattern!

Latest posts

Back