2 yr old stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellen

Reaction score
I have 2, 2 yr old stallions. One seems to be settling es and one is having trouble. Our plan is to catch him and have his semen tested, when he is done with the 2 mares we intend to breed him to.

But, how disappointed should I be regarding hid immaturity. Is he just not ready, or does this spell future trouble. I have never had this trouble before.

I have 2, 2 yr old stallions. One seems to be settling es and one is having trouble. Our plan is to catch him and have his semen tested, when he is done with the 2 mares we intend to breed him to.

But, how disappointed should I be regarding hid immaturity. Is he just not ready, or does this spell future trouble. I have never had this trouble before.

We have had some stallions settle all of their mares as 2 yr olds and others that will settle only 1 or none. The next year they would settle most though, so I wouldnt worry too much at this point.

I was hoping I would here something like that. I guess this year some mares may just have some time off. But hopefully he gets atleast one. As I just love him.

Ellen some colts just arent mature enough at 2 to settle thier mares.. Some stallion can take until they are 5 yrs old to be fertile. I have heard of it happening. I wouldnt worry about it too much right now..Save your money and if he doesnt settle next year then test if you want to...

Or buy yourself a little cheapie kids microscope and take a look for yourself!!

It's a bit crude, and no safeguard, but if there is lots and lots of movement going on the chances are it's just his timing that is off!

If you can get a sample down to your Vet, keeping it at body temperature, he/she should be able to give you a better idea.

I purchased an AI kit. All I need is the Microscope. I thought it would be helpful when he breeds mares I intend to downsize. So, I could catch and look, or catch and run to the vet who is 2 minutes from here.

But he did take along time to descend, so maybe he just isn't ready.

Another issue is that he is young and is exhibiting certain stallion behaviour that could be contributing to his issue. I know with Arabians we used a cage to prevent this, does anyone know if these can be purchased for minis and ponies? A simple belly tap is not discouraging him. He looks me in the eye and continues. UGH!
wacko.gif

Colts (not stallions) are not mature at age 2, and their semen count and quality will directly reflect that immaturity. They are not physically or mentally able to step into the role of a herd stallion while they are still colts.

I don't consider two-year-old colts to be mature. Heck, even my three year old stallion right now is pretty immature (mentally) and I don't think it would be a good idea to breed my guy yet.

I wouldn't worry about it. A two-year-old colt is like a 15-16 year old human boy. Can physically do it pretty much for the most part, but not all of them.

Andrea

Andrea,

That is what he acts like. We debated starting him, so we gave him 2 mares. One may be settled, one has continued to come back in. I guess in years past, when we were breeding minis, not shetlands, most of the colts matured faster.

Now Luke, seems to know exactly what to do, but we only gave him one mare. I hope it all works out, but there is the chance that he need a few more years. Which is fine, I really enjoy showing him.

Ellen

l gave my fave guy 2 older expereinced mares when he was a 2 year old and he only got one of the mares in foal...as a 3 year old l bred him to 2 mares and both had foals the following year. Some mature early l've found and some seem to take a little longer. We had a short under 30" stallion we used for a number of years and he didn't get any mares in foal till his fifth year...him we were worried about and going to have tested but never bothered because he settled all 4 mares when we put them in his paddock with him instead of handbreeding. We have one with a funny quirk when handbreeding you aren't allowed to look or he won't do anything..if he even sees you peek thats it he's done. His former owner told me that and l thought sure tall tale..not
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a short under 30" stallion we used for a number of years and he didn't get any mares in foal till his fifth year...him we were worried about and going to have tested but never bothered because he settled all 4 mares when we put them in his paddock with him instead of handbreeding.
I've been handbreeding, and may have to try this with my stallion that hasn't gotten his mares in foal, before I give up and geld him. How long did you put the mares in with him? Through a cycle or the whole season?

His mares were left in as each mare came into heat l believe it was mid April and first week in May and l removed them all the end of July..l swear l never saw him breed any of them so l think he was one of those night time breeders..
default_biggrin.png
3 colts and a keeper filly the next year all PQ'd and his.

His mares were left in as each mare came into heat l believe it was mid April and first week in May and l removed them all the end of July..l swear l never saw him breed any of them so l think he was one of those night time breeders..
default_biggrin.png
3 colts and a keeper filly the next year all PQ'd and his.
Thank you so much. As soon as the mare I definitely want to try with him comes back into heat, I'll put her in with him and we'll see what happens before I give up and geld. ANd, then I'll decide after that if I want to put the other two mares in as well. I'll need to rearrange corrals, as his pen isn't big enough for more than two. [And, now I need to wait for mud to dry up again.]

I have always used two year old colts, but I would never "run" them with mares, not as two year olds.

Carlos was extremely immature when I bought him, maybe even thin, but he got all his mares in foal.

As to your "problems", I would do nothing at all. If it annoys you as he is drawing in the ring, or when you are handling him, simply back him up. (With apologies beforehand to the males on this Forum ) Males cannot think of two things at once.......

NEVER ever prod , poke or whack at him, what message is that sending?

And, as to "cages" they should be outlawed, IMO, a happy, well balanced colt may well have a "Happy Sunday" (
default_rolleyes.gif
) moment, but he will not obsess on it, and it is natural.

Some 2 year olds are just not ready to breed but I bet he will next year.

Joyce L

Latest posts

Back