2-3 Week Old Kittens Abandoned

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
:eek: Unbeknownst to our hay provider, when he brought over a kick-bale wagon, three young kittens were found between the bales. Their eyes have been opened for a short time - cannot gauge their age.

My son, David, hollered for me, and brought them inside at 10:30pm. Clueless, I mixed a batch of "stuff" (milk, water, coffee creamer -- no flames please). I fed them every 2 hours last night and today.

Any suggestions for feeding until vet arrives in the morning?

awww , umm my mother isn't a vet but she has a major in animal husbandry, she said your doing fine just don't keep them on that mix for a long time. :bgrin good luck
default_wub.png
:

awww , umm my mother isn't a vet but she has a major in animal husbandry, she said your doing fine just don't keep them on that mix for a long time. :bgrin good luck
default_wub.png
:

Hopefully someone on here has done the homemade thing for bottle-feeding kittens...........because it's Sunday your feed store(s) may be closed. If they aren't, I'd go get the kitten milk-replacer and use that.

Good luck!

MA

PS: My hubby says he's seen the milk-replacer at WalMart...... Also, goat's milk may be easier on their tummies....mixed with water and a touch of Kayro?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that Cindy.

Try this

Ingredients:

1 can evaporated milk -- (or 1 can goat's milk)

1 cup pedialyte -- (or generic equivalent), unflavored if you've got any

1 whole egg

1 packet unflavored gelatin if you have any

1/2 teaspoon infant vitamins if you can get some

Blend together. Heat small amounts in microwave to "wrist comfortable" temperature immediately before administering. Store leftovers in refrigerator no longer than 72 hours. Blend before serving each time. To administer, use a syringe without needle or use a kitten feeding bottle. Start with small amounts and work up gradually as kitten grows. Administer once every two hours during first two weeks, every three during third week, every four during fourth week. During fourth week, start blending a small can of high quality ground kitten food into the mixture.

Here is a handy site also

http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm

default_wub.png
: Ahhh, you folks are the best.......thank you!

Will get on the ball so these little darlings (black & white) get nourished & raised. My small animal vet is the ultimate cat lover, so they'll get the best of care. He'he, they're in a make-shift playpen of pillows, lined with a fleece blanket on my bed. Life's good!

Wow, it's the time of year where everything's
default_wacko.png
: so these babies are ointment to Dunpainted's soul. Taking a fuzz therapy break every two hours is pretty cool.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Do they pee & poo on their own? I've raised orphan kittens that age (2 weeks) & had to stimulate them so that they would do their "jobs". If left too long they may pee on their own, just because bladder pressure makes the urine leak out--but not necessarily; I know someone that tried to raise orphan kittens & didn't know that, & the kittens died because of it. Just rub their little backsides with a damp cloth to imitate mama cat's tongue licking them. Mine got so I could just sort of tickle them beside their tail, & that was all it took. If these kittens are a little older than 2-3 weeks they're likely fine on their own & won't need any bathroom assistance. :bgrin

Aww, I'll bet they are CUTE!!

I've bought the kitten formula and bottles at walmart, kmart and TSC, so you might be able to find a place with it that would be open on a sunday. It is by far the best option, IMO, after raising several litters of orphan kittens. I buy the powder and mix up just exactly what I need. I almost always need to make the hole on the nipple bigger in order to get them to nurse properly.

At 2 to 3 weeks I still used a damp cloth to rub their tummies and wipe their little butts after feeding but I also put a shallow pan of litter in their area and often they will start using litter right away. At first they will use it to play in but before long they start going potty in it.

I also start mixing a small amount of the formula with some canned kitten food or dry kitten food. If I use the dry I let it soak until it is a mush, this can take a while. I dip my fingers in it and put it in their mouth and once they will lick it off I lead them to the shallow plate I put it on and show then where it is by sticking my food covered finger in their mouth then touching it to the plate.

With orphans my goal is to get them off the bottle and onto soft solids as soon as possible so I can get a full nights sleep.

4 of the 6 cats I have now were orphaned kittens and they are now big fat happy healthy grown up cats. I haven't lost a kitten yet *knock on wood*.

I sort of miss having orphans around to raise, it was my favorite part of rescue work.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are your new little ones doing???

MA

Latest posts

Back