1yr filly has leftfront hoof sensitivity/sorenes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blusuzi

Reaction score
hi

I'm a newbie mini lover and I have a question about my mini (blue eyed suzi).

I recently (July) got a mini filly and I read up as much as I could but this one has me baffled. I was up at our barn today and noticed suzi was walking with a weird 'pop' in her hip and thought she might have a rock in her hoof (there's a patch of small stones in her pasture). I picked out all 4 of her hoofs with no more than the normal amount of difficulty (as a yearling she is not quite used to her hoofs being picked out). I had to pet and talk to her between every hoof to keep her calm and she let me pick them all out. Once they were clean I gently pushed on different areas of her hoof with the rounded part of the pick to test for sensitivity. All was fine and healthy until I came to the last hoof (left front). I got it clear of dirt and saw the frog was flaky. Not dry or anything, just had thin pieces coming off. When I pushed on it with the pick she pulled the hoof away from me suddenly. Is this some kind of disease or infection or am I just being an over-concerned 'mom'? I would love some input or advice about this.

Thanks!

She may have a touch of fungus around the frog if she has been in damp areas.. One filly I had lost most of her frog
ohmy.gif
, as I was cleaning out her hoof one day and, I put some antifungus stuff on it although I did not see a visable sign of any. Showing sensitivity to the touch could indicate a possible bruise, inside that area. Perhaps a rock was lodged inside her hoof to cause this tenderness.

re: the wierd 'pop' in her hip - it may be unrelated.

Watch reallly carefully it may be the back hooves are too long (can only be slightly long)- this can cause the fetlock/pastern (that area not sure which part) to 'pop' back - it seems to be coming from the hip but actually is not - you can actually see it jolt. Takes a bit to see it.

Your girl may have something else but this is something I have experienced

I don't know if it would be the length of her hoofs troubling her as the farrier recently trimmed them, but I'll check it out. Thank you for you help!

Latest posts

Back