16 day old foall with Copper Head Snake bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNDFarms

Reaction score
I woke up two hours ago with Annie pacing around stall and pushing her foal away from one end of stall. I went out to barn to find a 12" Copper Head in stall and foal bleeding from snake bite to nose between nostrils,

She had snotty nose and seemed to have hard time breathing through her nose, I called Vet and left message on Stupid Emergency Answering Machine, and have not received call back, tried to call two other vets close by with no luck..

I gave foal .3 ML Banamine, and 900,000 Unit of Penicillin, I was also able to get Nasal Tube in before swelling compromised airway.

She seems to be resting now, and even nursed, but has a lot of swelling to muzzle and left cheek..

Has anyone experienced snake bite with small foal?

I can do a tracheotomy to save the foals life if I have to, but would really like to know what experiences you have that I need to watch out for until I can get her to vet..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
oh no!! I hope everything works out!!! praying for you and your little foal!!

haven't dealt with horse snake bites I am a small animal vet nurse (technician) and I know with dogs and cats that the sooner you give the antiserum the better!! try and keep her quiet and calm... praying that the vet rings back real soon!!

Update: Vet still has not called back, so I called and left another message...
default_sad.png

Vitals: Temp = 100.7, Resp = 12. and Pulse Rate = 104

She still has a lot of swelling to muzzle and cheek, but has been resting and still nursing. Seems to be breathing fine out of Nasal Tube but having to suction every now and then because of discharge, Lung sounds are clear but can hear congestion in upper airway..

Never hd any experience of snake bites with horses, but just want to add my prayers for your little foal. Good luck.

Anna

I hope your foal is going to be ok , sounds like your quick thinking with the breathing tube has lept her alive so far , the fact that she is still suckling is a good sign, isnt there any other vets you can call just for advice while you wait on your own vet ? Im keeping everything crossed for you

On-call vet just called back and is on his way out here, he said he was the only one on call and was on another emergency call..

Hopefully everything will be alright, she has been sleeping for the last 20 minutes..

I would keep calling the vet. Friend of mine lost a biggie horse from snake bite. Just keep calling. Sending prayers your way.

No experience with snake bite here (THANK GOD!) but I want to send prayers and best wishes for your poor baby. Sounds like you are a good nurse and did all the right things while waiting on the vet, so hopefully your foal can come through this okay.

I know nothing about snake bites but sounds like your quick thinking has saved her. Please keep us posted on how she is and what the vet says.

Sending prayers your way for your little filly.

I havn't had a horse get bitten by a copperhead, but one of our dogs got bit by one on the neck. Our Vet told us that if he was going to get bit by a snake that copperhead were the least venomous. The biggest problem is swelling blocking the airway. Good luck with your foal.

No experience with snake bites here either (and I hope it stays that way!). Keeping your filly in my thoughts and prayers, sounds like she is in great hands, you are right on top of it, and thank goodness the vet is on his way, hope there is something more he can do for her. Hoping for the best!

You were quick thinking and on the spot, thank goodness! Poor baby!

I have also heard that copperheads are not as bad as rattlesnakes.

I've had two miniatures bitten by rattlesnake and it is not a pretty sight. One I did not discover for about 3 hours and we could not get the tube in his nose. He spent 3 days at the vet's and had to have slits cut in his muzzle because of the swelling.

He also had nerve damage; not sure if that is an issue with copperheads. Dirty rotten snakes!!!

Hope all goes well with your baby.

Update: Vet just left and foal (Katie) is doing well, swelling is not getting worse but not getting better either, nasal tube was left in and vet gave more medication, we will be monitoring her and giving supportive care over the next few days and hopefully she will start to recover, at one point she was running chasing one of our cats across the paddock this morning, so she obviously is not being effected like we are!
default_smile.png

I'm getting a few hours sleep while wife is attending foal, and will update later on this afternoon once I get to where I can think again..
default_smile.png

Thanks so much for your prayers and wishes, this foal is very special to us as she was born on the day my mom passed away and was named after my mother Dorothy Kate, so her making it through this is very important on several different levels..

Again thanks for your well wishes and I will keep you updated..

I'm so glad your filly is going to be alright! That would definitely be a scary situation.

I have rattlesnake experience in the face and nostril area and as Marsha said not a pretty site. I honestly think if this was the case your foal should be in a hospital with some very aggressive treatment, but I am not sure of copperhead bites. However, if you do not see a change shortly I would get another opinion rather quicly. Sending you both hugs.

I agree with Marty..... One of our two-year old geldings "Hallmarks Boomers Bentley" was struck (3) times in the head by a rattlesnake a few years ago and I personally wouldn't think that the treatment protocol would be much different. I really think that your vet should be providing a more aggressive treatment than what was explained.

Best of luck....

Awesome job with your quick thinking and treatment! I would hope that your vet drew blood to check the foals organ functions and to see how the bite and venom has affected her over-all. Did the vet administer anti-venom? For a foal to be bitten, especially a mini, I would think a more aggressive treatment would be in order with IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, etc..... When I see large horses bitten by a venomous snake they usually get the same treatment but I have heard of others survive with less.

OMG poor baby! You did an awesome job of treating her before the vet got there! What tubing did you use? Fish tank tubing? A good reminder for us all to keep some handy.

Keep an eye on her nursing.

Prayers for the baby!

While I've not had any experience with copperheads, I have had lots of rattlesnake bites to our horses and dogs. I have learned that it is just something that we have to live with.

All but one of the horses that have been bitten have only had swelling for a couple of days. (one of those was a young foal) We treated with antibiotics, banamine and another antihistimine. Those horses were all bit on the end/side of the nose. Which my vet has told me is a better place to be bit than legs or neck. It is also better to not irritate or mess with the bite site either. Don't know why, but my vet has me only flush it with cold water. No soap, no creams no nothing. And they are back to normal in a couple of days.

The first horse that got bit, I freaked out and called the vet in and thought the horse would be bad off. But now I have everything on hand and just treat them myself.

We did have one 2 month old filly who we "think" could have gotten snake bit and died. We are not 100% sure. She had an area under her neck near her jugglar that looked suspicious. It was either a bite or a ill-placed kick.

It sounds like your baby is going to be fine.
default_yes.gif

SNDFarms said:
Thanks so much for your prayers and wishes, this foal is very special to us as she was born on the day my mom passed away and was named after my mother Dorothy Kate, so her making it through this is very important on several different levels..
Oh goodness.
default_sad.png
Prayers being said for your little one, but if she's still chasing cats and eating at this point I'd think that's a good sign.

Leia

Latest posts

Back