'09 filly and a color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BopNDoc

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my one and only '09 foal. She was born @ approx. 12:45am on 7/4. Her dam is a smokey black and sire is b/w pinto. Last year's foal from this same cross was a super super loud palomino pinto colt w/2 blue eyes! Does 'Sparkles' appear just black to you all? Her muzzle and the base tail hairs are silver. The hair tufts in her ears are a creamy color.....what do you guys think?

She appears to have one dark blue eye also.

Regardless of lack of white....we LOVE her!!!!

So meet 'Sparkles'

DSCN2268.JPG

I'm no color expert but I think Sparkles is a beauty
default_smile.png
Congrats!

default_new_shocked.gif
I don't know if it is the way the light is reflecting in this pic or what but does she have silver marbling throughout her coat? She looks to be a silver black or smokey black! Congratulations on Sparkles...she is gorgeous!!!!
default_yes.gif

default_new_shocked.gif
I don't know if it is the way the light is reflecting in this pic or what but does she have silver marbling throughout her coat? She looks to be a silver black or smokey black! Congratulations on Sparkles...she is gorgeous!!!!
default_yes.gif
yes,she has silver hairs all thru her coat also....but just today did I notice the tufts of silver tail hairs growing out....so this means sire or dam carries the silver gene? Thanks for the compliment, she's a keeper!

No, if she had the silver gene she would have a lighter mane and tail. Her silver hairs probably are due to the cream gene for smoky black.

She looks black to me, I've had three black foals born on the farm and they've all gotten a silvery tint to their foal coat.. If she were carrying silver she wouldn't be that dark, silver tends to dilute black out to a chocolate color or your silver dapple color.. Now from what I've read/heard a smokey black does not look any different from a typical black, the only way to know if she carries the cream gene is if her parent(s) carried it and to test her..

She looks black to me as well....however, I have seen horses that appear black that do carry a creme gene. I would test her if it were me. Congrats on a beautiful filly and I LOVE her dam. What gorgeous intoxicating eyes she has!!

She looks Black to me also but I would still test her for Cream as it does not have to show.

I doubt she is Silver Black but I would test her Dam for Silver.

She looks Black to me also but I would still test her for Cream as it does not have to show.I doubt she is Silver Black but I would test her Dam for Silver.
So can a smoky black also carry the silver gene? I'm ignorant with the color genetics but it's so fascinating.

She looks black to me as well....however, I have seen horses that appear black that do carry a creme gene. I would test her if it were me. Congrats on a beautiful filly and I LOVE her dam. What gorgeous intoxicating eyes she has!!
Thanks for the compliments, we love Birdie...she's the sweetest mare.

I think the foal is black. Looks just like the 2 black foals I have had born here. But the mom could be silver. They don't always have the white or silver mane and tail. She could be a silver brown or by having the cream the silver doesn't express as much. My Stallion is silver but doesn't have the typical white or silver mane and tail. He is silver brown.

Check this guy out!

Champs Guthrie

remember that smokey blacks can look as black as black they do not all have a "odd" appearence. I have had 2 smokey black pinto foals here both out of cremello mares so no doubt they carried the creme gene. One was a funky odd black color the other was black as can be

There is no reason why the foal could not be Silver and have Cream as well...this is actually more what the dam looks like, the foal looks black, but as Lisa has pointed out, sometimes/often a Smoky Black, which is a Black carrying Cream, will "just" look black!!!

Silver Blacks do normally have lighter manes and tails, Cream, appears to inhibit this but the mane and tail is still somewhat lighter...Jill, where are your pictures??

There is no reason why the foal could not be Silver and have Cream as well...this is actually more what the dam looks like, the foal looks black, but as Lisa has pointed out, sometimes/often a Smoky Black, which is a Black carrying Cream, will "just" look black!!!Silver Blacks do normally have lighter manes and tails, Cream, appears to inhibit this but the mane and tail is still somewhat lighter...Jill, where are your pictures??
So what tests should I have done on her?

Latest posts

Back