REALLY DUMB QUESTION????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I have been reading all the posts about getting tested for LWO etc. Where and How do you get this done, also $$$ on average.

We have one Bay Pinto Stallion, one Sorrel Pintaloosa most of our mares are also pinto. I am thinking I should get some testing done but where to start :DOH!

Go to: ANIMAL GENETICS and look under horse testing.. I think it ran $25

If you're breeding your pinto stallion to all of the mares then to save money, test him first.. If he comes back negative then you won't need to test your mares if you stick to breeding with him, however, if he comes back positive you'll need to test all of your mares and those pinto mares you may breed to outside pinto bred stallions will need to be tested if the stallion isn't

Just wanted to add that you just need to pull some mane or tail hairs, put them in an envelope or baggie, and send them in. As was mentioned, it doesn't hurt the horse. I have gotten results via e-mail in a few days. I would test both stallions as your first step just to be safe.

We have one mare that is LWO+ so we tested our potential pinto (Rowdy-bred) stallion before we bought him with the stipulation we would only buy him if he tested negative (Obviously he did!). So we haven't tested any of our other mares for LWO. While you are pulling hairs and sending them in, you might think about color test results you might want. It is easy to get carried away but it is $25 for each test.

That is a great company to deal with, I will add. I had my mare tested for tobiano homozygous through them. They are much cheaper than other test companies.
default_yes.gif

To get the hairs I just brushed the tail and mane and put the ones that came out in a baggie!

That is a great company to deal with, I will add. I had my mare tested for tobiano homozygous through them. They are much cheaper than other test companies.
default_yes.gif

To get the hairs I just brushed the tail and mane and put the ones that came out in a baggie!
If you collect the hairs this way, you need to be very sure that the root bulbs are still attached to the hair. That is where the DNA is gathered from.

It's best to "pull" the hairs by grabbing very close to the skin, so you are sure of getting the roots as well.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back