liver help, please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjoy85

Reaction score
First off, I'll say we have been working with our vet and he is stumped. He's been in practice over 50 years and specializes in horses. He said he's never seen a horse be like this before and that they've always improved, not gotten 2x worse in such a short time. Sorry this will probably be long. Trying to get ideas to fix issues, get her healthy, and keep her alive.

We put down a horse back in November who we thought (including vet) was just passing because of old age and his organs (including liver) were shutting down. I'm a bit suspicious of that now as looking back it was classic hepatic encephalopathy.

We just lost another at the beginning of June. She would have been 13 in August. Her GGT level was 1250 (the high limit is 24). At first (before bloodwork) we all thought it was impaction colic (which she was impacted for several days despite vet visits and treatment and had been at a show where we had a super hard time getting her to drink) until we got bloodwork done to show liver was the issue. Due to the timing of when she passed we couldn't get a necropsy done as we had no way to keep her cool for 2.5 days before the state vet hospital was open a few hours away and could take her. They are the only ones who do horse necropsies and biopsies in our area, but it's quite a drive.

We immediately got bloodwork done on our other 2 minis and 1 of them had extremely elevated GGT levels of 364 and slightly elevated AST. The other was within normal limits (23 of 24 for GGT, but slightly elevated AST of 399 out of 340). Our vet put both of them on milk thistle 3grams daily, off of all alfalfa (they were on an orchard/alfalfa mix and now are on certified noxious weed free timothy from Standlee), and we penned them up on a full dirt area so there was no way to get into anything they shouldn't.

We do have tansy in the field they were in that gets pulled when it pops up and we keep 24/7 hay out for them during that time to help avoid nibbling. There is a buttercup groundcover that we discovered is toxic and also snowberry--but can't find anything definite on the snowberry and toxicity. The one we lost in June had eaten snowberry for sure.

So the 364 GGT level was taken June 13th. On July 5th I took her in for a re-draw and her GGT is now 790. Something seems to still be poisoning her despite changing diet, environment, and giving milk thistle. Our vet is stumped. We turned in water samples for testing but that takes a week and a half to come back. We are hauling water now from a friends house in the meantime. I mixed their milk thistle in purina sr active and the vet is fine with that, but that is the only other constant besides the water. I also had given them another salt block (small trace minerals, no selenium)--but is now removed. I switched the grain this week to beet pulp to try that and see if it helps. On the 5th, he gave her dexamethazone and an antibiotic (trimeth sulfa) to try to fix it and redrawing blood on the 28th. We really need this to work. It's not fair for something here to be hurting/killing them and I feel horrible about it all. Our other mini that was mostly within limits is going to be getting blood drawn again on the 11th to see what her levels are doing.

We consulted two other vets but they want to do their own work-ups and can't see them for almost 2 weeks. We also had a wildfire 3yrs ago and everything was covered in thick, nasty ash when we got home so not sure if the deposited toxins in the soil or what they had breathed during that time are contributing to anything. The one horse that was okay bloodwork wise was not here for that fire and is only 3. She came from a different part of the state.

I've been scouring the internet all month in addition to picking our vets brain and my brain is fried. If you've made it this far, thank you. Does anyone have any ideas of what else we are missing or can do to help the horses? Bloodwork in June showed no infection. He didn't check that this time, just liver enzymes. Billirubin is normal. AST is slightly elevated and increased since the last visit from 380 to 427. BUN went down from 16 to 8, so it almost seems like she is starting to shut down. She is only 17yrs old and we've had her (and the other 2 we lost) for 12 years. No neuro symptoms at this point thankfully--those are horrible and I never want a horse to go through that again. I also have a call in to the vet about getting meds to reduce ammonia in the blood in case that is starting to be a problem, especially since we are heading into the weekend.

I'm so sad, frustrated, upset, etc about all of this. I want to go back to last summer to fix whatever the problem is before it became a problem that is deadly--so if anyone knows how to time travel, lol ( I know it can't be done and what is done is done, just wishful thinking)...

What other animals are they around? Including wild. I remember reading articles about possums being an issue and also something about chickens or a type of chicken feed? Maybe something to think about? I am so sorry for what you are going through, and wish that I could offer more help! 😞

What other animals are they around? Including wild. I remember reading articles about possums being an issue and also something about chickens or a type of chicken feed? Maybe something to think about? I am so sorry for what you are going through, and wish that I could offer more help! 😞
Thank you :( We do have chickens next to them, but their feed is not where they can get it. There are also rats that come and go into the chicken pen. We keep killing them, but more show up. They are never ending and the pen is too big to fence under. Might hire some terriers. Racoons are here often too, but we get rid of them as well when we see them. We have seen possum, but not often. Maybe a couple times a year at most. Contaminated feed and chemicals used in the hay are other possibilities we are looking into as well. Not sure where to get grain and hay tested for toxins though.

My kids have been a mess during all of this (understandable!!). They are so sad about it and keep asking to get more horses since we keep losing ours. I keep telling them we aren't getting any more minis til we know what is going on and fix it. I'm not bringing more animals here to get sick or die. If our other one has newly elevated levels on Tuesday, we will be moving them to a friends house to board, testing soil, all new feed, tearing up the land, spraying, replanting, etc. None of the other animals seem to be affected though, so it's confusing that it's just the minis. My 10yr old is using the "healthier" mini for 4H and fair is in a couple weeks. I am re-thinking that though and thinking about keeping her home just in case and to prevent stress on either of them.

I feel for you. I lost my Dapper Dan recently and his liver readings were bad. It was a mystery. Nothing was really different here. I hope you can figure out something. I'm not sure that it is reversible?

I feel for you. I lost my Dapper Dan recently and his liver readings were bad. It was a mystery. Nothing was really different here. I hope you can figure out something. I'm not sure that it is reversible?
Oh no! I'm so sorry you have had to go through this too. It's so hard.

I don't think it's going to be reversible. If it is ingested toxins the prognosis is usually poor and if the liver is just too far gone, then nothing will fix it. I'm still trying to be optimistic that we can still save her and keep our other one from getting sick too. Excited that there are no neuro issues yet and hoping it stays that way. But also trying to think realistically and preparing myself mentally that we may lose her soon too .

It's just weird that in 7 months, we've had 3 horses with liver issues with 2 of them passing. It is likely something they all ate or had access too. It's possible the first one was just age related, but no way to know at this point. He was on a different grain than the other 2 too. The second one, it's possible it was colic and stress induced, but more than likely the liver issue caused the colic and then her neuro issues. She went fast--within 24 hours of neuro symptoms starting. Ultrasound showed her intestines weren't twisted, but were inflamed and not working. She was one that we had a lot of trouble with nutritionally and growth wise from malnourishment when we got her as a baby so it's possible it was just inevitable from issues from her past. The 3rd one now, no clue other than potentially eating something she shouldn't have but that doesn't explain the sudden GGT increase after being locked up in a completely dry lot with new hay from a new supplier, nothing to eat other than what I gave her. I don't want it to be the grain or water, but those are the only 2 things that stayed constant. If it's the water, I can't imagine what it's doing to us humans here--but we'll know more when the water tests come back. If it's the grain, I'm not sure why I haven't seen anyone else locally having issues as it's a well known/used feed. None of it makes sense. It would be nice if none were related and just pure chance that somehow all ended up within a short time of each other, but at the same time it would be nice to have it all be the same problem so we can fix it to prevent this from ever happening again. :(

So sorry you are going through this, I would be losing my mind. I don't know much about liver issues but I seem to recall something that happens to mini's livers if they lose weight too fast. If putting her on a dry lot started slimming her down you might want to look into that. Unless I missed something (which is possible) although your horses are all testing high for liver issues, they have had different symptoms. It seems mighty suspicious to me, but it is possible it's coincidence. On the other hand some plants that are toxic are slow to work and build up in the animals system. They could have eaten something weeks ago that's been slowly causing liver failure.

I think the rapid weight loss thing is this:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/dige...ipemia-and-hepatic-lipidosis-in-large-animals
I have only personally heard of this happening in super obese laminitic minis that were put on a "crash diet". But you can read the article, it has a description of the symptoms and causes, and see whether it checks out. Certainly may be worth asking your vet about it, either way.

This is a really awful situation and I'm so sorry it's happening, it must be absolutely maddening. I sure hope you're able to pinpoint a cause soon!

So sorry you are going through this, I would be losing my mind. I don't know much about liver issues but I seem to recall something that happens to mini's livers if they lose weight too fast. If putting her on a dry lot started slimming her down you might want to look into that. Unless I missed something (which is possible) although your horses are all testing high for liver issues, they have had different symptoms. It seems mighty suspicious to me, but it is possible it's coincidence. On the other hand some plants that are toxic are slow to work and build up in the animals system. They could have eaten something weeks ago that's been slowly causing liver failure.
Yeah, I'm definitely losing my mind. I don't think hyperlipemia is the primary issue because her LIP was 0 the first time. However the second time she was at 1 and I'm trying to keep hay in front of her in small, frequent meals while she's penned up. It may be becoming an issue though. Yeah, they've all had various symptoms, but the first two both had the same neuro symptoms at the end. I hate not knowing.

Right, it doesn't really sound like "it" since if they weren't obese to begin with it doesn't really make sense for that to happen to several horses. It really does sound more like some kind of toxin, just so hard to imagine what!

I think the rapid weight loss thing is this:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/dige...ipemia-and-hepatic-lipidosis-in-large-animals
I have only personally heard of this happening in super obese laminitic minis that were put on a "crash diet". But you can read the article, it has a description of the symptoms and causes, and see whether it checks out. Certainly may be worth asking your vet about it, either way.

This is a really awful situation and I'm so sorry it's happening, it must be absolutely maddening. I sure hope you're able to pinpoint a cause soon!
Thank you. Yes, it is very maddening. I want to just wave a magic wand and fix it all :( I'm trying to keep small, frequent meals in front of her so she can eat most of the day but not quite all day to give her liver a break. Her LIP was 0 for the first draw and 1 for the second, so it's possible it's becoming an issue. I asked him about hyperlipemia with her LIP going up in 3 weeks, but he just said it indicates she is getting "sick" so I'm not sure how experienced he is with that in particular for minis.

Right, it doesn't really sound like "it" since if they weren't obese to begin with it doesn't really make sense for that to happen to several horses. It really does sound more like some kind of toxin, just so hard to imagine what!
It could be so many things. We have toxic plants and it's possible even with constant hay that they got into it. We also have people walk down the road and feed them who knows what...and one tried to put a young child maybe 4-6yrs old in the field over the fence once *eye roll*. They all get yelled at when seen, but I'm sure I don't see them all. They are penned away from the road now though with all of this so it's not something that someone is feeding them unless it's a long term, chronic thing. They also won't be roadside again just in case. It's possible it's our water, but won't know that for another couple weeks when results come back. In the meantime we are hauling water from a friend's house. Too many options for possible causes for this fried brain. My guess is plants or water...but doesn't make sense as to why GGT doubled in that 3 weeks when they were dry lotted with nothing else to get into, unless it's the hay, grain, or water. Ugh. Hopefully we will know more on Tuesday with blood results from the other one to see if she is rising or getting better. Would possibly tell us if her liver is just too far gone and she is starting to shut down or if there is still a toxin they are ingesting.

I'm so sorry to know you are going through this. My heart goes out to you and you minis. I sure hope you will have the solution soon. I put a water filter on the faucet for my minis as a precaution. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
The literature does not offer up easy solutions, though there have been serious studies of the cause of high GGT.
Stress is mentioned, and vitamins C,E selenium deficiency (!), and B6. The weather has been exceptionally hot so I should ask if they have cool drinking water and access to shade. Regular show attendance could (just?) be a factor, being chased by dogs or kids (I know, unlikely)

I'm sorry you are having to go through this mess. I have a pony with liver disease. When he was getting diagnosed, the vet mentioned that there is a newer virus out there that affects the liver. I believe it's a form of parvo virus. Has your vet looked into that?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to know you are going through this. My heart goes out to you and you minis. I sure hope you will have the solution soon. I put a water filter on the faucet for my minis as a precaution. Please keep us posted.
Thank you. Water filters are a great idea. Once we get our water test results back we plan to get a filter put in at the well to make sure animals get filtered water too.

The literature does not offer up easy solutions, though there have been serious studies of the cause of high GGT.
Stress is mentioned, and vitamins C,E selenium deficiency (!), and B6. The weather has been exceptionally hot so I should ask if they have cool drinking water and access to shade. Regular show attendance could (just?) be a factor, being chased by dogs or kids (I know, unlikely)
I'm learning so much reading studies. It fascinates me. I'm thankful people have put time into it. There are so many possibilities as tote cause, what pushed them over the edge, and what can fix it. So far she is doing okay with no neurological symptoms, but she isn't eating and drinking as well today so she's getting electrolyte paste now too. Yes, they have fresh water daily (hauling it in from a friend's house whole waiting on water test results) and shade. We feed in their shelter during the day as well to make sure they aren't standing in the sun to eat.

I just looked it up, it is equine parvovirus. My pony ended up not having it, but all of mine were tested for it as it's fairly contagious according to my vet.
Thanks for that. Sorry your pony has liver problems too. It seems to be more common than I thought it would be. I just read about the newer parvo virus for horses and it looks like it could be added to the options of what's going on. Our vet didn't mention anything about it but I will bring it up and see what he thinks. How did they test yours for it?

Did you mention whether they had vaccinations lately?
No, they are due for them this summer and we had planned to get them done when we do teeth. Our vet wants to wait now for their teeth and yearly vaccines til liver problems are resolved or at least mostly better so we don't tax them too much. They did get wormed in April with ivermectin though.

Latest posts

Back