Our little Easter Lily is here...Belle foaled a filly 4/20/14!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueberryburlap

Reaction score
My mare was pasture bred between December 2012 and July 2013.(We bought her in July) Seeing a bit more movement in her stomach these last few days, been seeing flickers of movement since November. Any guesses on due date? She is my first to have a foal and I am a nervous wreck! She is 16 years young and is an experienced broodmare, just my first
default_smile.png
37" Registered name is FGM Sterlings Southern Belle. She is a sweetie! Thanks in advance!

January 10, 2014:

January 10, 2014:

Last edited by a moderator:
The pictures above are from last night and the next two pictures are from July and August last summer:
August 26, 2013:

July 23, 2013:

Welcome!!! What a pretty girl!! You must be very excited!!

She is looking lopsided, so all is well. Baby has not moved into position yet, and as an experienced momma, she seems to be carrying full and low, but Not yet dropped. You will start to see the 'bottom bulge' moving forward and she may become quite 'flat-sided' as baby moves into position. Think of it as baby lining up her/his spine with momma's spine -- so less of baby is sticking out the sides.

We will enjoy watching her and getting very excited as she continues to move forward to giving you a healthy baby on the ground.

Have you felt her udder to see what's happening there yet?

Again, welcome!! And we're so happy you've joined us.

~~Diane

Thank you Diane
default_smile.png
I'm very excited to have found such a fun place for advice!

I have felt her udder and she doesn't seem to be changing yet. I've heard that some mares don't change until they're ready to foal though so I am still on gaurd! She is quite the flirt and I wasn't so sure she was even pregnant until the last month or so! My mother-in-law and I swear she was in heat when I brought her home at the end of July! Haha, another thing I've heard some mares do
default_smile.png

Thanks again I will keep you posted!

~Stephanie

Welcome from NJ
default_saludando.gif
and you have definitely come to the right place to help you stay calm that everything is progressing along normally

these aunties are so knowledgeable. We all get somewhat nervous as things get close but that's expected when breeding.

I'm good now but we are expecting 5-6 foals (although 1 mare is sold and waiting to leave) I will still be nervous for her hundreds of miles away

until I hear about her foaling gone great

My nervousness will set in about mid February as our first 2 will be 300 days 3/3/14

But these ladies are there for you day and night with fabulous advice and to give opinions on our mares progress

(bless them for helping everyone so much)
default_wub.png

Hi Stephanie - great to have you join us! What a pretty girl! As an experience mare she - hopefully! - will follow a reasonably normal journey through her late pregnancy. Did her previous owners give you any idea of her usual pregnant 'habits' as this can be useful a lot of the time?

Just make sure she is well fed and has access to some form of mineral/vitamin suppliment and she should be fine asshe progresses. Then just watch for any development to her udder - I'm sure she will do the usual and show some changes for you - as this will give you and us a clue as to her possible foaling date.

Keep the pictures coming - say weekly at this stage as it is easier to see any changes that way rather than with daily pictures - and do feel free to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem to you - we are here to help you and her get a healthy little baby on the ground.
default_yes.gif

And thank you for your kind words Lori - every baby is sooooooooo important to us Aunties here and all we want to do is to help them safely into this world!

Thank you Lori. As Anna said EVERY baby is important to us and we will work our hardest to help in any way we can to get all babies safely to the ground in good health!

Thank you ladies! She's not showing any new signs but I keep checking
default_smile.png

AnnaC, her previous owner basically only had her long enough to breed her. (She was very bossy to the other minis so she had to find a new home for her) The gal knew of 3 babies she's had in the last 5 years (give or take) and didn't have much information other than it went well and she is a good mama.

I will post updated pictures this weekend and let everyone know how she is progressing.

Thank you all so much
default_smile.png

FGM Sterlings Southern Belle is registered in AMHR, but only has 1 registered foal from 2006. So, it's good that the prior owner says she's had 3 babies that she knows of in the past 5 years. Unfortunately, none were registered.

The registered one she did have (Three Bear's Bailey & Cream) was a Grey Pinto filly, white mane, mixed tail, offset star and 4 white legs. Sounds very pretty, and she only matured to 32.00." Sire of that one was a 31.75" Chestnut pinto.

Can't wait to see more pictures of the pretty lady.

January 16, 2014:

January 16, 2014:

So sorry for taking so long to get these posted. I took them Thursday night so 1 day shy of a week after the previous ones... I'm not seeing much change but she does have a lot of room for that baby to hide and I may be watching her too closely!

That's really neat to know, Diane. I'm not sure the reason for them not being registered, though, that's disappointing. The previous owner told me that two of the babies were paints and one was a "mini me" of her and they all matured smaller that she is. Her dam and sire were both smaller too (at 32.5" and 32.25") so I think that helps, she's just a big girl
default_smile.png

The stallion she is bred to is a 31.75" blue eyed dunskin, and Belle has one blue eye so seems like a good chance we could get a blue eye or two
default_smile.png

January 22, 2014:

January 22, 2014:

Does she look like she's dropping to anybody else or is it just wishful thinking on my part? Felt a lot of movement last night and I finally have my husband convinced it's not just gas! His exact words were, "well either that's a baby or she's got a record size tapeworm!"

I tried feeling her udder last night but she was more sensitive than usual because she simply wasn't having it last night. From what I could feel, it felt like it may be starting to fill (it's seemingly more full in the front) Has been loose for the past few days but last night was the first time I felt any change really, it's been cold here so I don't know if it was just tighter feeling for that reason.

Lori,

I was just browsing your beautiful webpage and when I saw a familiar name! The stallion Belle was exposed to is "Triple Ks Boogies High Roller" he looks to be a half brother to your "Bow"
default_smile.png
I've included the only pictures I have of him. He was quite the handsome boy, these pictures don't do him justice but do a great job showcasing his beautiful blue eyes, and yes that is an emu in the first picture, LOL
default_yes.gif

Summer 2013:

Ok, so she has had me up all night the last two nights, every time I check on her she seems the same. She has been biting her tummy, rubbing her head on her front legs, walking real slow and laying down more than usual! Acting very restless and her stomach is definitely tensing up! How long should this last? She's not bagged up but her vulva is starting to look relaxed and her tail muscles are too. It started about 9:30-10 on Sunday night... Meanwhile I'm at work, sitting here not focusing on anything

Any advice is greatly appreciated
default_smile.png

How about a few new pictures, and then we can compare how she's changing!

She may have been biting her sides and getting up and down in an attempt to position the foal, or was just uncomfortable as the foal was shifting into position. I would say that her tummy still needs to 'move' a little closer to her front legs as the foal finally drops/lines up in the foaling position, but this can happen quickly with some mares.

Looking forward to seeing new pics!

02.04.14:

02.04.14:

Got some updated pictures last night... She is sooooo flat sided and I don't seem to be seeing as much movement. Her udder seems to have gotten fuller but her tail set doesn't seem as relaxed. (I was thinking that could be because it's so cold...) I unwrapped her tail so she has more of a wind break down there!

She's got to be getting close, doesn't she?

I'm hoping she can hold out as we're sitting at 7°F right now and the low tonight is supposed to be -2°F. Plus wind chill... burrr! Not going to get above freezing until next Tuesday!

Stephanie----we're related ---lol

love your Boogie Son and your mare is beautiful

can't wait to see your foal with that cross
default_smile.png

waiting for these foals is definitely the hard part
default_closedeyes.gif

We love our stallion Triple K Boogies Bow Tie

He's a sweet tiny little ball of fire

and has given us many beautiful foals

bowandlace7-31-05.jpg

with many bad hair days

HPIM0794-1.jpg

bowlonge5-6-08emailsize-1.jpg

He's very dark but is a smutty buckskin, even though it's hard to see the buckskin in him

Slab sided is good, but I'm thinking baby has to move a bit "forward of center" a little. As Anna said, that can happen quickly, so it looks like she's progressing just fine!!

How is she elongating? Not seeing as much movement is perfectly normal, as baby lines up. Room is getting tight, and once baby has dropped into position, you won't see as much movement as before. Looking good!

Latest posts

Back