Missy's Foaling Thread - HE'S HERE!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This often happens when a mare has her first heat after foaling. It is perfectly normal and he should get over it in a couple more days. As long as he is drinking well and seems full of life then I wouldn't worry too much, but if it continues more than another couple of days, I would give your vet a ring for some advice. A lot of folks gently clean up the foal's backside and upper legs and then smear a little sudo cream/zinc and caster or something similar over the area to help prevent it getting 'scalded'.
default_yes.gif

Sounds about right timing for foal heat scours. Anna already gave good advice on that.

She is having her foal heat now, so this is completely normal?

Vet's out on Wednesday anyway for Missy so will get him to check!

One of the reasons why a lot of us give that Ivermectin wormer within 12 hours of foaling is that it can/may prevent the foal scours when the mare has her foaling heat. Doesn't always work of course so it looks as though young Rory is one of the unlucky ones. Dont worry, it will pass and he will be fine.
default_yes.gif

One of the reasons why a lot of us give that Ivermectin wormer within 12 hours of foaling is that it can/may prevent the foal scours when the mare has her foaling heat. Doesn't always work of course so it looks as though young Rory is one of the unlucky ones. Dont worry, it will pass and he will be fine.
default_yes.gif
How long roughly will it take and do I need a vet?

As long as he is drinking plenty of milk (or dipping into a water bucket occasionally) and is his normal lively self he should be fine. If he suddenly appears to be quiet or shows signs of being uninterested in drinking/playing then an immediate vet call is needed - pronto!

Foal scours can last from three or four days to, maybe, a week - any longer and I would give the vet a call. Rory is not likely to get the scours again when Missy has her heats from now on - it just seems to be a change in the milk during that first heat that causes the scours to the foal's very delicate (early) digestive system.

As long as Rory is ok in himself as I said above, then your vet's visit on Wednesday will be a good time to give him a check over.
default_yes.gif

As long as he is drinking plenty of milk (or dipping into a water bucket occasionally) and is his normal lively self he should be fine. If he suddenly appears to be quiet or shows signs of being uninterested in drinking/playing then an immediate vet call is needed - pronto!

Foal scours can last from three or four days to, maybe, a week - any longer and I would give the vet a call. Rory is not likely to get the scours again when Missy has her heats from now on - it just seems to be a change in the milk during that first heat that causes the scours to the foal's very delicate (early) digestive system.

As long as Rory is ok in himself as I said above, then your vet's visit on Wednesday will be a good time to give him a check over.
default_yes.gif
Vet just called and arranged to come out this afternoon, even better
default_smile.png

Sorry, I was gone, but so glad you got the right answer. I was guessing you were going to say diarrhea, and I was going to say momma must be going through her foal heat. Perfectly normal, and not to worry.

Just wondering how Rory is doing and how the vet visit went?

Hi Anna - Just starting a Rory thread now.

Vet came and gave Rory an anti-toxin jab and Missy a tetanus. Turns out he did have foal scours and it has now passed. He is doing very well and is 3 weeks old today! (Where the heck did the time go!?) He also went on his first walk off the farm today too. Good foal indeed, Oh and the rearing at people has stopped!

Latest posts

Back