My underweight minimare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. Too many babies have been lost with hourly checks. Remember, foaling only takes minutes, so it's critical for you to be with her. I've slept in my barn many times (sometimes in the stall when I was afraid I was so tired I might not wake up without being right there to feel a momma moving around) to make sure I was there and ready to help if needed.

I love the words you used Anna, to describe us all in those last days of watching and waiting. Just perfect!

Sweety went down and baby was out 7 mins later. Felt like about an hour but clock said otherwise lol.

We timed our maiden mare from photos - about 4 minutes from seeing feet to foal being out with a little gentle help because she was a maiden. I also found our very first foal - dead and in the sac - 15 minutes after a check where the mare was calmly eating breakfast.

Thanks guys. I will be with her 24/7 from now forward. Her ph is down to slightly lighter than the 6.8 mark(as low as my test go, sent brother to store cause I didn't want to leave her) and the Ca looks to be the same color as the 1000 mark, although I didn't think it got that high.

She didn't lay down at all last night. Now straw in her hair this morning. The milk is testing numbers that say she is close, but still looks yellowish clear, no cloudiness and is very thick. even diluted 6:1 it still seemed thicker than "milk" what does that mean?

I will keep you guys posted!

Last edited by a moderator:
It means you are doing the right thing by not leaving her unattended. She could go at any time, and I'm not familiar with the calcium levels are a measurement, but I'm sure I've read the 1000 mark is pretty imminent foaling.

Milk can change right at foaling -- just like some mares don't even seem to have an udder until they foal -- so it sounds like she's pretty ready to go!

Praying for a safe and uneventful foaling of a healthy little one. Make sure you read the preparing for your foal to get the pictures "in your head" if you have to do any manipulation, and keep the vet's number on speed dial! Can't wait to keep reading your updates.

Start watching for some restlessness, cow patties as she cleans her system out, wieght shifting or pacing, yawning or phleming or any changes in her "normal" behavior. All can be classic signs that SHE is getting ready!!

Happy foaling!

Or she might not do any of those things.... gotta love mares. But those are the classic signs so be very alert if you see any of those.

She has just been standing like this with her back legs stretched out a bit for the last few hours. She wont come to the gate to great me like she has been doing for the last week. She wont even come to me if I go in
default_no.gif
Does that mean she doesn't want me around?

sep2.jpg

Her standoffish behavior might just be her feeling miserable, full, and not wanting anyone/anything around her. [some mares get overly loving when they are close, others get extra grumpy.] Don't take it personally. and, just go with what the other aunties have said, and stick close to her and keep an eye on her.

Poor little momma. She looks very uncomfortable. It will be better soon, little girl. Just show us that beautiful little one you've bee hiding!!

This could be the change in her "normal" behavior I was talking about. Just stick close! She certainly could go any time -- or she could make us wait....

Well still no baby. Ph down even more though. below the 6.8 color but I don't have anymore colors on the label to know how far below
default_thumbdown.gif

No real change today. The pH still seems to be reading just under 6.8 the calcium is at the highest possible of 1000. Her vulva is loose and bag still full and warm. Milk still clear yellow and syrupy.

I am starting to wonder if I am just crazy! Does the ph have to drop before anything really starts? Does the high Calcium really mean anything? I am confused...and sleep deprived!

Her ph has dropped this morning. My indicator doesn't say what it is but it is way below the color for 6.8 and very yellow. she is laying down a lot. I will let you guys know when something happens!

Fingers crossed she foals soon! I love your girl, she is so pretty!

IT'S A GIRL!!!!

Maybe Chesnutt? Smallest little thing I have ever seen. SOOOO cute. Born 11 and a half hours after ph bottomed out.

Quick uneventful birth. She met all the milestones for standing, eating, and pooping! Mommy and baby are happy and well. I am so thrilled with them both.

baby.jpg

baby2.jpg

Will post more pics in the morning!

Latest posts

Back