Can you tell if a mare is delaying labor?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
~Day 325
My maiden mare has had a fairly loose vulva for a few weeks now, this morning she had some discharge (reddish) and looked well dropped, which has been on and off for awhile as well.

Tonight when she came in she wasn't crying to come in, didn't try to trot the whole way to the stall and wasn't screaming and stamping for her grain, though she still ate with enthusiasm.

I usually do a quick vulva and udder check while brushing and loving on her morning and night. I noticed tonight her vulva had more discharge but she has it scrunched up pretty small. I'm wondering if this is just one of those weird things that doesn't mean much, or if it's typically a sign they're trying to delay/stop labor until things quiet down? I'm mostly excited and know there's no true answer until they're in labor, but also wondering if I should be checking the camera more frequently tonight.

I will attach photos of this AM and PM as well as a behind and above shot from tonight. (Also, still no bag)

Attachments

• Picsart_24-03-06_18-04-28-081.jpg
    Picsart_24-03-06_18-04-28-081.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-03-06_18-06-47-962.jpg
    Picsart_24-03-06_18-06-47-962.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-03-06_18-08-59-119.jpg
    Picsart_24-03-06_18-08-59-119.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
How is her udder? That's the only surefire way I know of to expect labor - until they're laying down pushing. What you're looking for is the fluid discharged to be a milky white instead of more clear. If you have a fish aquarium test strip set, you can watch the pH. I will drop 12-24 hours ahead of labor. She sure looks close to my eyes, but without checking her udder, I wouldn't be sure.

How is her udder? That's the only surefire way I know of to expect labor - until they're laying down pushing. What you're looking for is the fluid discharged to be a milky white instead of more clear. If you have a fish aquarium test strip set, you can watch the pH. I will drop 12-24 hours ahead of labor. She sure looks close to my eyes, but without checking her udder, I wouldn't be sure.
She still has no bag. It's puffier palpably and I can feel the glands are enlarged but no milk or bag.

Attachments

• PXL_20240307_141417269.jpg
    PXL_20240307_141417269.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
You'd said she's maiden? She may not get a really big udder before labor. One of mine didn't, one of mine did, last I had maidens. But some fluid should still be able to be expressed.

You'd said she's maiden? She may not get a really big udder before labor. One of mine didn't, one of mine did, last I had maidens. But some fluid should still be able to be expressed.
Yes, maiden. No milk or colostrum expressed yet. I know there's still time, and that on occasion they'll bag up right before or during labor as well. I'm just keeping an eye on all of it to make sure I'm there if she needs help or the sac needs breaking.

She was loose in the vulva again this morning at turn out(9am). I had a birthday lunch before school run and I was going to be gone a few hours, so I went out (12:30pm) to look her over before leaving with her in the pasture (it's short grass now, and chilly but not freezing so it wouldn't be the worst thing as long as things went right) i noticed once again she had her vulva scrunched up tight again. She was laying down a good portion of last night so she had to have felt somewhat secure. It's making me think maybe she's scrunching it from discomfort or some reason other than stopping labor. Just seems odd how it goes from so long and loose to short and wrinkled. 🤣

Also they scrunch up tight because you are looking at them. Sometimes they feel more prudish than others. I don't really think a maiden mare can stop labor very well. They have no idea what labor is. They know it hurts and instinct kicks in (hopefully) once the foal is born, but they think they have a bellyache. That's why it's easier to catch maidens. Also they say the baby picks the day but the mare picks the time...I don't know if there is any real research, but I think they can stop it for a few hours or a day, but not a few days.

No baby, she was pretty relaxed last night, didn't eat as much, but she slept more than I've typically noticed on cameras. Hopefully she's resting up to release her hostage soon 🤣 I'm excited to meet the little one a d just praying it all goes well and everyone is healthy.

Latest posts

Back