Driving Discussion 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been doing a little ground driving over the winter, just enough to be able to enter some online classes "Walk Only" dressage classes to alleviate the boredom. Some days it's just throw the harness on and video between the rain storms and crumby weather, but we get it done. Sometime more gracefully than others, lol. I was hoping to drive the May test. Was shooting for April but this mud is a bit much. We'll see. My goals are small, very small!
I have not posted much lately as things have been super hectic and stressful here with everyone health issues, including the minis (it all happens at once, right?) but I do check in and read up on everyone's adventures.
I sure hope everyone is recovering well and soon

I sure hope everyone is recovering well and soon
Thanks! We are all a work in progress, lol. Hubby and Mom go for tests in a few weeks and my mini Cappy goes to Tufts for a CT scan of his head on the 22nd. His sinus infections returned and he may have a fistula from between a tooth or his gums up in to his sinus. And I get my back injected next week. It's been busy!

What a busy couple of weeks it's been! My mom, who lives on the farm, we live 10 minutes' drive away, was away visiting her sisters. I got to do all the farm chores myself. I'm glad to do it, that's not an issue, it's just a lot when working full time, single parenting a teen and trying to prep for my taekwondo black belt exam. The fibromyalgia in my neck and shoulders had a hay day (haha hay...) with all the work. My feet ached, but I got loads of steps in every day, so that's a win! I did not get to drive very much though.
Saturday I took Falcor out because my arena is dry! I was looking forward to doing some arena work with him. He had other ideas though. I've taken to lunging him in his harness - sans breast collar and bridle, in a halter. He's starting to offer canter - which I think is great, but to the left he'd BUCK and BUCK!! I thought at first that he was reacting to the breeching, but he's been in breeching consistently since fall. He wouldn't buck much to the right, but consistently to the left and then consistently in the same spot. I'm wondering if he just felt really good, or if something was starting to change noticeably in his body. I wonder about horses who are in chronic paid who appear to be "quiet" or "well broke" but they're actually just protecting themselves from aggravating pain. I wonder if he's starting to feel out his recovering body. I'll probably never know for sure.
Well, I put on his breast collar and bridle and was hoping to put him to. It was windy, but not excessively. It's always windy here. He was very clear that there was no way he could tolerate being hitched and I was not interested in a wreck. So we long lined. After a couple of scoots forward, he started to relax into the walk and we practiced a lot of steering and arena figures anyways. The good part of all that is there was no bucking, or even threat or offer to buck, while we long lined.
I put the Bemer on him and immediately he started to yawn and yawn.
I may never figure out this pony but I'd sure love for him to become consistent.

Latest posts

Back