CONFUSED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is she looking?

First photo underneath the belly.( front feet bottom of photo)

Can't really tell from those pics
default_sad.png
you need to take one directly from behind ( kneel or squat down and get it at her level, not standing over her) and a side view down from her level too and also one of her vulva, sorry to be a pain :/

I've never actually had a pregnant mare before until now but I've learnt everything off here lol if you get stuck just go through some of the other post to look at how they take their pics
default_smile.png

Can you get a vet to check her again? That way you'll be sure it isn't a false pregnancy. My gal Abbie was looking pregnant but not ready at 343 days from last breeding and so I had the vet check her then... there was a live foal, so I put her in a camera stall and put a foaling pager on her. Well, now she's 371 days along and still not looking as "ready" as most other mares look! But we know for sure there's one in there, no way could it have gone missing after 343!

I can definitely feel it now. It is getting stronger. I hope everything is all right since she is hanging on to it so long. She is approximately any where from 367 days to 371 days. I will call my Vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. I will update with his information.

Can't wait to hear what your vet says. Goodness, the ladies are certainly carrying a longgggggg time this year!

This morning...

My veterinary is coming this afternoon.

The vet doesn't think Jazz is in foal base on how far along she would be. He said she was healthy and it could possibly be hormones making her brain think she was pregnant. He couldn't feel any movement and I couldn't either. He said he could do a blood test but since she is this far along and nothing is happening it doesn't make sense to do one. He did notice her swelling in her udder but again hormones.. is it time to give up.....

What a shame! She certainly looks as though she has a baby in there in the side-on pictures. And feeling or seeing any movement at this stage is not unusual, so I would still keep a watch on her just in case - so many of the mares seem to be carrying well over the normal limits this year.

Hey Bailey,

As Anna said I would be keeping a close watch on her. My mare is going thru the same thing unfortunately. I have had the vet out a lot of late. Going thru one of those things where its just a case of being unlucky with horses. Abscesses , Suspected broken Pedal bone (thank goodness it wasn't ) Laminitis and a possibly pregnant mare.

My mare had an internal done two weeks ago and it could not be confirmed if she was still carrying or not. I asked my vet why she would still be showing signs that she is still in foal if shes actually not. My vet believes that she was indeed pregnant but has most likely miscarried along the way , possibly reabsorbing the foetus which in turn is leading her hormones to believe she is still carrying.

To be honest I am sure I can still see movement in my mare & I am a firm believer that whilst I trust my vet and will ring her with even the slightest of concern , No one knows your mare better than you.

Also as you can see there are a lot of mares that are carrying well over there due date,

Good luck to both of you
default_yes.gif

There are false pregnancies, but watching her a little while longer won't hurt. Just keep us posted for a little while more....and she if she's being sneaky!

I will continue to watch her until the end of this month because I can't believe she doesn't have something in there. I see and feel movement or I am seeing and feeling something else. Just like my title...I am confused...

default_sad.png
how can a vet tell u she's not in foal based on how far she is????? That's silly, some vets get me upset grrrrr! You poor thing
default_sad.png
you must be going out of your mind.

Your doing the right thing
default_smile.png

Good luck & I'll keep checking in to see if there's any news
default_smile.png

top picture is Jazz on 04/13/13 day after I got her. bottom picture was taken 04/15/14. (yesterday morning)

I can't tell with the udder but the top two pics WOW huge difference not just because she has her winter coat but her shape, it's not even a hay belly shape either, sorry I'm not much help.

The only advise I have for you is to keep your eyes on her, but also try and mentally prepare yourself to except that she may have lost it
default_sad.png
I'm praying she hasn't but god works in mysterious ways unfortunately
default_sad.png
I'll keep checking in in both if you. Take care of yourself
default_smile.png

Nothing is happening with Jazz so I think we can say she is just having a false pregnancy like the Vet DX her with. She looks like she got less belly hanging now also.

Latest posts

Back