CONFUSED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey

Reaction score
This is my story. I was delivered this beautiful mare on April 12, 2013. In August 2013 one of her udders swell and I called the Vet out. He told me she was in foal and the baby was putting pressure on her milk duct. The previous owner never breed her but again she didn't breed her the last time and she delivered a filly in July 2012. October 2013, I called the Vet out again to check on her. He told me the foal was active. Will today she still has not done anything so I am beginning to think she is not in foal. Here is some current pictures. She will be 6 years old on April 12 and she has delivered one foal.

Hey bailey ,

Welcome , maybe we can get your thread moved to the mare stare forum . As I'm sure you will have plenty of questions about your mare , it will be the perfect place for the aunties to answer.

Have a read thru the threads & the pinned threads on the mare stare forum , there is some valuable information to help you and your mare foal safely .

Good luck , hoping we can all help you thru your final stages

Cheers Ryan

Thanks Ryan but I believe this little girl is not in foal. She is at least 361 days and not doing anything. I will keep a close eye on her. I posted a comment on the nail test post and a couple ladies wanted to see her. If anything changes I will let you know.

first picture taken April 13, 2013 and second picture taken Feb. 13, 2014

Don't count her out just yet as being pregnant, I know of at least one mini mare that carried 371 days from a known breeding date, so over a year isn't unheard of. If you really want to know, there is always a trip to the vet to check her out. And, its possible she was pregnant when the vet last saw her and isn't now, but from the looks of her, it looks like more than winter fluff and weight.

She has all the signs: butt rubbing, biting at sides, attitude, rolling and what seems and feels like foal movement. Her bag is just not filling up. I figure I would keep her on watch out until the end of month.

Hi Bailey, glad to see you here! It is certainly possible that your pretty little girl IS pregnant - she maybe one of those mares who produces a proper udder as she actually foals. With her colouring the udder pictures are not that clear but IMO it does look as though there is some movement there from a normal 'flat' udder. Any chance that you could get us a close up picture of her side-on so we could see the shape of her tummy and perhaps one from the back with her standing square so we can see how baby is lying.

Meanwhile continue doing what you are doing and keep a good eye on her just in case - also dont forget to check the colour inside her vulva, even if she doesn't get much of an udder before she foals, she may well change her vulva colour to more of a red/deep red to give you a clue!

I don't know about you, but I see changes. I wouldn't give up on her yet. Dream JUST started an udder a couple of days ago, and birth is rather imminent -- next few days, we think. I had a mare who routinely foaled at 365 each and every year, so I think you might be surprised!

post-45582-0-30486900-1396910964_thumb.jpg
post-45582-0-25911200-1396964602_thumb.jpg

Here's another girl who had no udder, and Dream's udder difference in just 3 days!

/monthly_03_2014/post-8375-0-93125100-1395838051_thumb.jpg/monthly_04_2014/post-8375-0-08478300-1396986236_thumb.jpg

See Huybers Utopia thread.

Last edited:
I just came in from taking these photos at different views.

Some Mares like to take their time before they decide its time to show the world what they have been hiding. If you have a look at my thread you will see im in the same boat as you.

Glad you have joined, the ladies on here are wonderful, their knowledge and kindness is amazing.

okay the first picture was taken oct.3, 2013 the second picture was taken march 29, 2014, the third photo was taken march 30, 2014 and the last photo was taken march 19, 2014.

In the first photo she was lopsided. Second and Third she started bagging but then deflated. The last speaks for itself.

Personally, I say there is progress. I think she's filling an udder, and you can even see it in her side shot. So, give her a little time to fill a little more and get those nipples pointing straight down, and I think you'll see a little one.

My heart skip a beat reading your post. I hope she is because otherwise my family will think I am crazy.

Well, I could be wrong, it happens to all of us, but I really think she's making progress from your first pictures, so we'll see for sure!

I agree with Diane and think you will soon be seeing a little one.
default_yes.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Love that last pic!!

I have noticed for the last week or so that Jazz's whole rear end is getting really soft. It is so soft when I press down in one area it jiggles in another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back