beau beaus own thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wings said:
1322552859[/url]' post='1429611']I must have confused them with one of your other pairings.

Just a question I pose to everyone, why cross the types? With the two types asking for different things and each ring being quite competitive why mix them?
Lol I agree Bree... I had no choice in the matter but Finn is turning out more pony anyway... I have heard of a new registrar (if that the right word) that will register both pony n horse... Would be interesting to see the others point of view
default_smile.png

OK my friends, what is this talk about ponies and horses??

Is it something different over there with you or are you talking about the different weights/build/type??

A lot of my girls are of the weightier type (not talking about FAT LOL!!) and although my boys are 'lighter' and we are breeding for a degree or two lighter, but without losing the bone structure that I like to have as a basic. But no matter what their weight/type, they are still miniature 'horses' - mini weightcarriers, mini cobs, mini quality hunters etc.

So do you have a different way of looking at things? How would you describe your ponies as against your horses??

I'm really interested folks!!
default_yes.gif

Me too, I have both Shetlands and lighter ones but they are all registered as miniature horse. Is it an Aussie thing?

Come on, spill the beans! Lol

default_saludando.gif
well over here you have mini horse or mini pony //when you breed the 2 together you will

either get a pony type or a horse type and you register them to what you think thay look more like...

my opinion its no big deal ........

Yes in australia we have miniature horse and miniature pony, for example Susie is a miniature pony, she is by a shetland mare. And penny is miniature horse.Horses are more refined n ponies have the more chunky shetland look...Hope that helps Im sure Bree will explain better when she comes on
default_smile.png

Hummmmmmm. So Suzie is a mini pony because she is 34" or under because her mother was a Shetland (actually reg Shetland or just Shetland type?) - what was her father? Then Penny is a mini horse because her parents were mini horses and THEIR parents were mini horses, right? So where did the mini horses come/originate from in the first place - horses/ponies/Shetlands/mini Shetlands??????

This is going to be interesting LOL!!
default_biggrin.png

Hummmmmmm. So Suzie is a mini pony because she is 34" or under because her mother was a Shetland (actually reg Shetland or just Shetland type?) - what was her father? Then Penny is a mini horse because her parents were mini horses and THEIR parents were mini horses, right? So where did the mini horses come/originate from in the first place - horses/ponies/Shetlands/mini Shetlands??????

This is going to be interesting LOL!!
default_biggrin.png
Bree I see you lurking LOL HELP!

sorry Anna I don't understand alot about mini's here still. Suzie is a pony because he Dam was a shetland and Sire was a miniature pony...

I don't think we have mini shetlands here
default_unsure.png
LOL its very interesting LOL and I don't know how they originally determined the difference... or how they got the refinement for the mini horses... maybe they don't come from shetlands? its very interesting!!

The divsion is more on type rather then height as has been said many times the mini is more of a height breed then a type breed.

Over here we have 1 main group for ponies, 3 for horses, 2 smaller groups that will take both and now the big group I'm with has started holding shows for ponies and may open their doors for registry.

Breed standards from a registry that accepts both:

The Miniature Horse is a small well balanced animal not exceeding 8.1/2 hands in height measured at the last hair of the mane possesing good temperament and being free from hereditary unsoundness.

It must not show signs of poor condition or mal-nourishment.

Mares should show feminity

Stallions should show masculinity and boldness, without aggression.

A) It should have typical horse appearance in miniature.

B) It should have an upright carriage without exaggerated length of body

C) It should have greater length of leg in relation to depth of girth.

D) It should represent a fine apperance, showing grace and balance.

A small horse well Balanced animal not exceeding 8.2 1/2 hands in height at the heghest point of the weither, prossessing good temperament and free from hereditary unsoundness

Mare should show Femininity.

Stallion should show Masculinity and boldness, without aggression.

(A) Should have typical appearance in miniature.

(B) Should be stocky and compact, allowing some lenth in the back, without exaggeration.

© While the body should have well sprung ribs an generous girth with a well rounded rump, the whole should be well balanced and well proportioned to height.

The history of it all was we started with minis who were registered and shown with our pony stud book. But people began to import more horse types from America despite the bias in the ring being for true pony type. So they split off and formed the mini horse groups that we have now along with a very defined mini pony and a very defined mini horse. Our horse type was set by the imports, mini ponies, australian ponies and welshies.

I only breed horses here, it's a look I prefer (although I have wanted to steal a few friends little ponies!) But I like that we have the types seperated like this, I think it's somthing a few other places could benefit from

default_yes.gif
It would certainly avoid a lot of the foundation vs modern stuff!

I know lucky lodge says no big deal but the horse ring demands refinement and as I breed for the ring I structure my program around looking for that perfectly put together typey horse so that my foals will be competitive. The pony ring also stays true to type, their most refined pony winner will not make it in the horse ring and that's the way it should be, they should be one or the other. I feel the mixing of the types in a breeding program creates a watered down version of either. I've seen horses with dual registry showing and they rarely do well in either ring. Plus as the type is different you can get a pony body on a horse leg and similar mix and match results that just don't look right.

The only time I have seen the cross make sense is if you have somthing that will throw heavily to one type. My mares Dreamy and Beauty share a pony dam but when crossed to horse she threw horse so in the early days of establishing the horse type she was a very useful mare. These days there wouldn't be much point using her, although she threw nice horses in her time there are enough quality horse type mares on the ground so we don't have to dip into the ponies to produce our foals.

Okay did that cover everything?

default_new_rofl.gif
No idea so let me know if I missed somthing!

The divsion is more on type rather then height as has been said many times the mini is more of a height breed then a type breed.

Over here we have 1 main group for ponies, 3 for horses, 2 smaller groups that will take both and now the big group I'm with has started holding shows for ponies and may open their doors for registry.

Breed standards from a registry that accepts both:

[/font][/left]

The history of it all was we started with minis who were registered and shown with our pony stud book. But people began to import more horse types from America despite the bias in the ring being for true pony type. So they split off and formed the mini horse groups that we have now along with a very defined mini pony and a very defined mini horse. Our horse type was set by the imports, mini ponies, australian ponies and welshies.

I only breed horses here, it's a look I prefer (although I have wanted to steal a few friends little ponies!) But I like that we have the types seperated like this, I think it's somthing a few other places could benefit from

default_yes.gif
It would certainly avoid a lot of the foundation vs modern stuff!​

I know lucky lodge says no big deal but the horse ring demands refinement and as I breed for the ring I structure my program around looking for that perfectly put together typey horse so that my foals will be competitive. The pony ring also stays true to type, their most refined pony winner will not make it in the horse ring and that's the way it should be, they should be one or the other. I feel the mixing of the types in a breeding program creates a watered down version of either. I've seen horses with dual registry showing and they rarely do well in either ring. Plus as the type is different you can get a pony body on a horse leg and similar mix and match results that just don't look right.

The only time I have seen the cross make sense is if you have somthing that will throw heavily to one type. My mares Dreamy and Beauty share a pony dam but when crossed to horse she threw horse so in the early days of establishing the horse type she was a very useful mare. These days there wouldn't be much point using her, although she threw nice horses in her time there are enough quality horse type mares on the ground so we don't have to dip into the ponies to produce our foals.

Okay did that cover everything?

default_new_rofl.gif
No idea so let me know if I missed somthing!​

[/font]
LOL you did great Bree!! I knew you would be able to handle it!
default_biggrin.png

what a great piece of info you have found! has helped me heaps!! thankyou!

I also totally agree about keeping ponies as ponies and horses as horses. It was out of my control that Suzie was bred to a horse... but next time I breed she will definitley go to a pony and if I breed Penny, she will definitley go to a horse!!

I have a lot of friends around here who view it with this same opinion...
default_yes.gif

does that help Anna? and Renee? hope so!!
default_biggrin.png

No probs Cassie and I'm glad you found it helpful as well! Those basic standrads come from NMR (National Miniature Registry) and I have found them to be a great way at boiling down the main differences in each type.

I love the history of our little shorties so I dig around a lot for whatever info I can find! Thankfully the development of the types in Australia is fairly well documented, they've really only been here for 20 years in a recognised capcity!

LOL!! OK so not to take anything away from your well written and beautifully informative post Bree (and I do understand where you are coming from and how your ponies and horses are divided etc - thank you.
default_yes.gif
)

BUT Cassie, if you are saying that Finn is going to be a pony, why would you put Cassie to a pony next time - you might chance a big foal at foaling time - for another pony foal, when putting her to a lighter type has produced a pony anyway? is it because Finn is what you would call 'mixed' and you would have to put him in 'mixed' classes at shows instead of straight pony classes. This seems unfair as he could easily turn out to be a good looking, well conformed mini horse with the substance of a lightish cob type.

So what you are saying is that if you have pony parents then you will get a pony foal, but if you have mini horses then you will get a mini horse offspring, but if you mix the two together then you will still get an offspring who will be a pony type because it will not have the refinement to be classed as a mini horse?? Well I have had 3 foals from the same pairing (mare shetalnd x american, sire Falabella - where do Falabellas come in all this?). They gave me two small tubby cobby type 'minis' (ponies???) and one long long legged refined mini (horse??). So where does that leave me??

Sorry folks, but I'm really enjoying this - hope no one is taking offence as I am really trying to see the way that Australia looks at this, but I do like getting everyone together for an in depth discussion on a subject where there are so many different 'answers', so please treat this like fun.
default_yes.gif

So, with my long legged foal mentioned above, could I still register it as a mini horse, even though it has a half shetland dam and a Falabella sire (both of whom you would classify as 'ponies') Incidently over here and throughout my own horses, I have to say that it is the refined minis that have the length of back and the 'substance/pony types who are the short coupled ones (opposite to your suggestion 'rules')??

Over here all 34" and under are minis, 34-38" are category B minis. Mini shetlands are minis if they are 34" and under and 'standard' Shetlands from 34 - 42". They have their own breed clases and shows of course but the mini Shetlands can also enter normal miniature horse classes, which are divided into weight categories, so no matter who the parents are or how they are bred, you simply enter the classes suitable for the weight/type of mini.......ultra refined, refined, hack, hunter, cob, draft etc. Plus there are the yearling, 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 and over, or fillies, colts, mares 4 or over and stallions 4 or over. All these last classes (yearling onwards) are open to all types and weights, being divided by age only, so if you have bred a middle weight yearling, you could enter not only the yearling classes against other yearlings, but you could also enter the hunter or cob class depending upon the 'type' of your mini - it doesn't matter what its parents looked like or were registered as.

So if Suzie has to be classed as a pony because she has a shetland parent (I'm not talking about the fact that Suzie is obviously a mare of substance and not a willowy refined person, bless her) doesn this mean that should she throw a really refined offspring (as my two above have done), then this offspring will be registered as a pony due to Suzie's Shetland size or will it be registered as a miniature horse because it is refined. Or is it possible over time to breed ponies to miniatures, then to more minis etc etc until generations later the offspring can be registered as actual miniature horses?

Now I'm getting muddled LOL!!

Sorry gotta go - had vet out to PT early this evening with colic (no idea why he had a tummy ache, nothing wrong with him! Just wind I expect?
default_rolleyes.gif
) Anyway got to go do a last check on him just to make sure it hasn't re-occurred - buscopen worn off by now). So catch you all on the morrow.

Nite nite all!!
default_saludando.gif

default_saludando.gif
over in perth you can put 2 mini horses together and if the foal turns out to chuncky like a mini

pony you can rego it as a pony..and ive got friends over here who have done that....if someone asked

me if thay could use my stallion wich is horse to be breed to there mini pony as long as had great comformation ect ect it would have to be nice b/c its my stud on the line ...i would say yes

would you?????????????????????

BUT Cassie, if you are saying that Finn is going to be a pony, why would you put Cassie to a pony next time - you might chance a big foal at foaling time - for another pony foal, when putting her to a lighter type has produced a pony anyway? is it because Finn is what you would call 'mixed' and you would have to put him in 'mixed' classes at shows instead of straight pony classes. This seems unfair as he could easily turn out to be a good looking, well conformed mini horse with the substance of a lightish cob type.
From what I have seen of Finn he looks to have the build of the lighter ponies but will probably be too heavy to excel as a horse. If I was in Cassie's position I would seek out a light build pony stallion if wanting a similar foal to Finn or if wanting a heavier foal would seek out that sort of sire.

So what you are saying is that if you have pony parents then you will get a pony foal, but if you have mini horses then you will get a mini horse offspring, but if you mix the two together then you will still get an offspring who will be a pony type because it will not have the refinement to be classed as a mini horse?? Well I have had 3 foals from the same pairing (mare shetalnd x american, sire Falabella - where do Falabellas come in all this?). They gave me two small tubby cobby type 'minis' (ponies???) and one long long legged refined mini (horse??). So where does that leave me??
If you have pony parents but want to register the foal horse there is nothing to stop you doing this, the same works in reverse. At this point both the pony and horse groups are not moving to lock one type out of their books but anything that doesn't conform well to type will not do well in the ring. Mini shetlands fit in with the ponies. We have very few Falabellas over here and the few I know of were shown pony. Sadly I do not know of any in the ring at this time
default_sad.png

Sorry folks, but I'm really enjoying this - hope no one is taking offence as I am really trying to see the way that Australia looks at this, but I do like getting everyone together for an in depth discussion on a subject where there are so many different 'answers', so please treat this like fun.
default_yes.gif
I'll talk about it forever if you let me
default_new_rofl.gif
so as long as it's not annoying anyone!

So, with my long legged foal mentioned above, could I still register it as a mini horse, even though it has a half shetland dam and a Falabella sire (both of whom you would classify as 'ponies') Incidently over here and throughout my own horses, I have to say that it is the refined minis that have the length of back and the 'substance/pony types who are the short coupled ones (opposite to your suggestion 'rules')??
As said above you can register them in any of the groups. However one thing I have seen is a pony who threw a more horse type who when bred threw heavily pony! I think this is one important reasons to start seperating the breeds, I'd love to seen steps taken to prevent dual registry in time.

Now I'm getting muddled LOL!!
lol Anna! I hope the above gives a bit of help on how the registry currently works.

Sorry gotta go - had vet out to PT early this evening with colic (no idea why he had a tummy ache, nothing wrong with him! Just wind I expect?
default_rolleyes.gif
) Anyway got to go do a last check on him just to make sure it hasn't re-occurred - buscopen worn off by now). So catch you all on the morrow.
I hope everything is alright!

default_saludando.gif
over in perth you can put 2 mini horses together and if the foal turns out to chuncky like a mini

pony you can rego it as a pony..and ive got friends over here who have done that....if someone asked

me if thay could use my stallion wich is horse to be breed to there mini pony as long as had great comformation ect ect it would have to be nice b/c its my stud on the line ...i would say yes

would you?????????????????????
As said you can do it, and the registry wouldn't do anything about it.

But there is no way in heck my boys will cover a pony mare. I feel strongly about a pony being a pony and a horse being a horse. I want my horses to be and look like horses and to produce horse type, I want them to stand up in that ring and conform to type. As mentioned before I feel the crossing of the types leads to a watered down version and an animal that might throw either way in it's breeding, I wouldn't want to own or have any part in producing an animal like that.

I believe breeders should strive to produce the best they can no matter what their breeding aims and I'm yet to be convinced the crossing the types has any role in that.

I WISH we had some division by weight! That sounds just perfect! That would cover those miniatures that are the 'older' style with the greater 'substance' to their frame!
default_yes.gif
I think it's worked really well over here. You get your horse types and imported american shetlands prancing around in their own ring and the stocky pony types living it up in theirs!

Also we present differently:

Horses are fresh clipped, make up, facial clipping or razoring, manes thinned. the works

Ponies are clipped once or twice, natural summer coats encouraged. Some trim fetlocks regularly, whiskers are often trimed as well. No make up!

I hope these work, they'll give a nice indication of type:

Supreme Pony at the last show I was at:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=296811417010178&set=a.296811367010183.79244.248856285139025&type=3&theater

Supreme Small Horse a few shows ago:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=287858544572132&set=a.287858357905484.76978.248856285139025&type=3&theater

(Who is the handsome palomino?
default_new_rofl.gif
And remember Pallidon is considered heavy amongst the small horses!)

Supreme Miniature Gelding:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=287858494572137&set=a.287858357905484.76978.248856285139025&type=3&theater

default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif
LOL!! Diane - dont even get me started on American Shetlands!!
default_biggrin.png

Even your original Shetlands (going back 20 or 30 years) dont look like Shetlands at all! When I first saw a picture of one I really liked it, but it was NOT a Shetland - best I can describe it as looking like a slightly refined Dartmoor pony.
default_yes.gif

Nowadays the American Shetland looks like a slightly scaled down version of our small show hacks (horses) except ours are ridden and not allowed to 'stretch' when viewed in hand. Or a cross between the show hack and the Hackney (even if they dont have the hackney movement). But NOTHING like a Shetland!! I'm sure our friends in Aussieland will agree with me coz they still have Shetland shetlands - although they call them ponies!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Oh I'm having great fun with this discussion.
default_cheers.gif
Can you just imagine what would happen if we all managed to visit each other during the showing season........"what's that horse doing in that class" - "how come that won that class" - "what on earth was that judge thinking about, that's not a '........', it's a '........', stupid judge" and other such comments!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Now Bree, i move to the pics you posted LOL!!

Pic one is far too lightweight to be called a pony! But as an adult and mature would probably be in our light hunter classes.

Pic 2 (who the devil is that handsome boy???)

Would be classified as a hack or light hunter - not refined enough for our refines!

Pic 3

Could be a hack, but too heavy in body, so would have to go in hunter at maturity - actually his body is too heavy/deep for his legs IMO, as he matures he may not have the bone structure to balance his top half??

Interesting pictures though - thanks for taking the trouble to post them.
default_yes.gif

Oh and PT is fine this morning, just as he was around 1am when I last checked him, the little rat LOL!! I do hate these minis who think it fun to call the vet out at vast expence 'after hours' - he has just spent the money we were saving up for chipping and passporting/registering our two foals from this year!! Grrrrrrrr!!

Oh Anna, don't lets start a riot
new_rofl.gif
The "American" Shetland riot
risa_suelos.gif

I do totally agree, they should change the name as these ponies have nothing in common with our Shetlands. I don't personally like them but who cares what I think.
wub.gif

The poor mini's still have a long way to go until people will really understand them and know how to describe them. I am fed up of saying "NO, they are not ponies" now when someone says "what cute ponies you have" I just say Thank you!
wacko.gif

wacko.gif
wow I get so confused when people start talking pony, miniature, small horse, shetland.. I just can't tell!..... YET
no.gif

Oh yes Renee!! It's like the "oh look at that dinky little pony"........"thank you, he is very cute isn't he"
default_biggrin.png

ps, before I tie myself up in more knots - apologies to Dinky Doo, I meant no offence!
default_yes.gif

Now Bree, i move to the pics you posted LOL!!

Pic one is far too lightweight to be called a pony! But as an adult and mature would probably be in our light hunter classes.
Yes he is considered one of the lighter ones. Odd judge that day, picked a lot of light ponies and heavy horses
default_wacko.png
There's a pony (multi supreme) I'd love to show you but he hasn't shown with us yet so I don't have ny pics! Classic traditional shetland look!

Interesting pictures though - thanks for taking the trouble to post them.
default_yes.gif
No problems, they where just a few examples as I'm sure I don't have to tell you what variety crops up with the minis!

Megan I break it down like this:

Miniature Horse (and within this Small Horse/B Class/Over as well as Little Horse/C Class)

Miniature Pony

Falabella

American/Modern Shetland

Shetland (plus some Mini Shetlands)

All short, all fantastic in their own way
default_yes.gif

Ah ha - now another question. LOL!!

If a pony is anything/any breed 14hand 2inches and under - how do you get a mini pony?However small it is, it is still a pony, not a mini pony!! Now with a horse being an animal over 14.2 hh it is perfectly possible to breed a small version of a full sized horse, therefore a mini horse. But as a pony has no minimum height size, you cannot miniaturise it. LOL!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_whistling.gif

Now where is Diane - I need to have more discussions about American Shetlands! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back