beau beaus own thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
good question,,,,

what came first the chicken or the egg
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Ah ha - now another question. LOL!!

If a pony is anything/any breed 14hand 2inches and under - how do you get a mini pony?However small it is, it is still a pony, not a mini pony!! Now with a horse being an animal over 14.2 hh it is perfectly possible to breed a small version of a full sized horse, therefore a mini horse. But as a pony has no minimum height size, you cannot miniaturise it. LOL!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_whistling.gif

Now where is Diane - I need to have more discussions about American Shetlands! LOL!!
Lol!

Well they have similar height limits to the mini horses.

Personally I find it a bit silly to call somthing so obviously pony in type a mini horse
default_wink.png
If we're trying to breed true horse type then why not breed true pony type and just call a spade a spade?

default_saludando.gif
does anyone no how the miniature horse was breed with to make it so small i now shetlands

are there but how did thay get the horse to be so fine.and small????????????????????????????

The type comes from one place, the height from another. In Australia we have had a lot of welsh and australian pony used. America used their refined shetlands.

I have heard of tb and arab being used but only know of some arab pony.

The height came from the pit ponies and Falabellas. Of course some dwarves where also used which has been a thorn in the breeds side ever since.

You should do a bit of reading and dig around for various sources. I think we as breeders should know where we came from in order to go forward.

Now where is Diane - I need to have more discussions about American Shetlands! LOL!!
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
be nice
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif
new_rofl.gif

Welcome back Diane
cheekkiss.gif
I hope you had a wonderful time with your family, did they wear you out?

Bree, I would call myself a 'breeder', but I sure know where I came from! LOL!!

Good question Jenny.
default_yes.gif

American Shetlands aside because, seriously, I know nothing about them (was just kidding you Diane), I would be very interested to know more about how our mini horses got from the foundation ones to those we have today.

I can see that small Arabs and Thoroughbreds could have been crossed with shetlands (British) and then with mini Shetlands, probably then crossed with the odd Falabella as they had already got the size down in their blood lines. But where does the refined look come from as that sort of 'slimness' given by the Arabs and the TB's was so far back, too far in my opinion to overcome the weight/build of the mini British Shetlands??

Looking at the pictures of the 'long ago' mini stallions (very few available of any mares) they are all small but chunky or a bit on the chunky side. But then you look at Rowdy who was around more or less at the same time or a little later, and he is different again - not refined as such, but certainly not heavy, plus he looks a lot more 'horse' like. So where did he get his build from? And how did things get lighter/more refined from then on. Or was it simply that some stallion threw a more refined offspring to a certain mare by luck and so these two were tried out on other breeding lines, plus their offspring got bred together etc etc.

So was it just luck or where did it come from because I cant find any seriously refined minis from 20 years ago!

Anyone got the answer???

Last edited by a moderator:
So was it just luck or where did it come from because I cant find any seriously refined minis from 20 years ago!

Anyone got the answer???

It's never just luck in breeding!

I should say that while I'm new to breeding minis I spent a few years breeding mini lop rabbits, the fast turn over (1 month pregnancy, weaning at 8 weeks, sexual maturity at 3 months) meant I learnt a lot about managing a breeding program. I had a set type in my mind as well as size, colour and temprement. By the time I stopped to better focus on the minis I was regularly producing exactly what I and somtimes only 3 generations from where I started!

The mini started as size, the best example being the pit ponies of Britain. Of course they didn't care about type they just wanted somthing small that could do the work. I think the 'do the work' is what made the true mini possible as they needed somthign SOUND and we all know soundness starts with a decent conformation.

Jump ahead to people setting a goal, trying to define a breed. In the case of type (so now I'll ignore height) they wanted horse type in miniature. So how do you improve type? With a lot of work! You breed down the type of desirable horses to get them within height.

Now at this point things will be done differently depending on what was available. When the horse type became desirable over here they imported from Australia and made use of the refined welsh ponies and australian riding ponies. These animals where already small and held desirable type.

You won't find seriously refined minis from 20+ years ago because very few of them where on the ground! In truth the miniature is still a breed in progress!

Stallions like Rowdy where invaluable because they displayed a desirable type and threw it! Nothing better then a dominant stallion
default_wink.png

Of course I'm skirting dangerously close to the American Shetland topic now so I think I'll leave it there
default_new_rofl.gif

Back to school Diane
biggrin.gif
what are you teaching and to who? (Sorry I think I asked on Suzie's thread too)

So glad you had a great time with the family Diane, but it can be exhausting can't it - still worth it though.
default_yes.gif

Yes, what sort of teaching? Do you do it regularly and where do you teach and what ages?

Nosey lot arn't we? LOL!!

Thank goodness there are wonderful people like you that are prepared to help these kids, Lord only knows what the world will be like when they are all adults.!

We miss you though!
wub.gif

Oh Diane, I do so agree with you - where did all the dicipline, respect and general good manners go? I look at my young g/son (3 years old) and wonder what on earth things are going to be like when he gets to adulthood.
default_unsure.png

I do so admire you for taking on these kids, hopefully you can help a few of them in some way. Enjoy your ciggy breaks - you deserve them.
default_yes.gif

Diane what a wonderful thing you are doing for these kids! I'm sure they will turn out so much the better from having you as their teacher even for a few weeks!
default_yes.gif

and I so agree about the whole discipline thing! e.g on the weekend Dad had our work truck at home at the front fence (with the truck locked this is a safe place...) we are a small town and most people know us, well actually the whole town knows us LOL

anyway we came out this morning, and kids had gotten beer bottles and smashed it against the bed of the truck, the crane and the chassy!!!
default_wacko.png
Dad wasn't happy! at least no real damage was done! but the weekend before our second shop got broken into and power tools were stolen... we looked back on the survailance cameras and they were kids! maybe 18 19 years old!!
default_no.gif
there are so many young kids doing stupid things wasting their lives! because they have had an indecent education and family life... it makes me so sad!

bring back the smacks... and in some circumstances I say bring back the paddle!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
(not on me of course LOL I"m an angel!
default_hypocrite.gif
) hehe

so GOOD ON YOU!!!!!
default_cheers.gif

Me too
hypocrite.gif
I never got smacked as a kid
new_rofl.gif
They knew it was a waste of time
deadhorse2.gif
new_rofl.gif

Bless you, Diane
aktion033.gif
yes.gif
You are doing a wonderful thing!

I hate seeing how the children or the general public act these days. I am afraid of where it will lead everyone down the line in the future. It's just bad news. No happy with the schools these days either
no.gif

Don't give up on him yet Jenny ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Now Now Jenny - negative thoughts are not allowed here as you well know.
default_biggrin.png

Little Beau is doing brilliantly and his leg is getting stronger. He's a happy healthy little fella who is enjoying his life - and as yet no-one knows where that life will lead?

He may not be quite perfect make-up wise, but to me he is perfect in every way that is important.
default_wub.png

Now Now Jenny - negative thoughts are not allowed here as you well know.
default_biggrin.png

Little Beau is doing brilliantly and his leg is getting stronger. He's a happy healthy little fella who is enjoying his life - and as yet no-one knows where that life will lead?

He may not be quite perfect make-up wise, but to me he is perfect in every way that is important.
default_wub.png
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Well said
yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
little beau,s leg is getting worse he lays down alot and he,s limping more..

he,s only 8wks old poor little man
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back